Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Elephants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> History Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Using Elephants

Hello All,

Despite my determination to complete my current project I just can't help being drawn inexorably towards my two all time favourite armies which are Macedonian Imperial and Later Carthaginian (reputedly both A Listers now, but I'd soon change that).

Looking at the relevant fast warrior lists, I see the Carthaginians have elephants even here, but none of the Successors do, despite their use historically.

So, I got to thinking, because it's such a small game, using the Elephants as a battering ram is probably much more valid than as an anti-cavalry flank screen.

Now to the history. Why did their use evolve in this way? Did the Successors fear they would hamper the phalanx too much or did they see neutralising the enemy cavalry as more important?

Thanks, Steve
LarryEssick
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject:

Roman experience with elephants showed that they were relatively easy to neutralize with light troops. We see this in Alexander's battle against Porus as well (Hydaspes).

Because contemporary armies used large numbers of light troops I suspect that the effect of elephants against main battle lines declined. As elephant numbers declined (through attrition, age, and a drying up of sources) the issue became one of how to get the most use out of a relatively few number of animals.

Horses, however, react badly to elephants unless adequately trained. So use against enemy cavalry is much more of an option.

Still, I'm not convinced that this became their primary role even in the later successor armies. At Ipsus, for example, the elephants deployed with the phalanx and were part of the reason for the success of the combined Macedonian/Seleucid army against the Antigonids.
Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject:

Elephants fell out of use in European successor armies for the simple reason that they died off and did not reproduce well in captivity . Seleucids, Egyptians, and other asiatics and africans continued to use them long after the Second Punic War (e.g. the Sassanids, Ghazanavids, etc.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> History Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: