Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arthurians at 1200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Arthurians at 1200

Thought that it might be useful to report my thought processes as I threw together a list for the mini in NJ this last weekend (aar to come in a sec).

Approach - a couple of influences from the list rules, in that Allies should be avoided even more than usual, and the amazingly effective ditched palisade is available; hmm. Don’t think that I have ever bought fortifications yet. I shall ponder when I get close to 1200. Probably not, because I expect to be more numerous and hence not in favour of cutting down the field, but we’ll see. Finally, my initial reaction is that I can’t have IrrA because I require regular LC; I could actually wordsmith that (the LC would not be being *upgraded* to regular but simply taken that way). Hmm again - that actually strikes me as the valid reading; I think that my initial impression was wrong. Another thing to consider after buying other stuff, and do I really want an IrrA CinC in a one-general army?! The Allied general special rule is a problem, but I think that the list really needs the Saxons… ok, this is not as simple as I expected.

Maybe I do. Let’s see how it costs out.

OK. Compulsories:

CinC (see above) in 2E IrrA EHC unit @ 175 (note that the CinC has no option for being regular HC despite the bodyguard being such - errata?)

2E Cav IrrB 79
2E Cav Reg D 64 (again slightly arguable, but the list clearly states that the Reg D option is a *down*grade; the Reg C and Reg B lines are clearly out, to my mind)

LC 38, 38, 38, 38 (not compulsory, strictly)

Saxon Ally in 4E, half HI HTW IrrB: 96 + 28 + 2* 12 = 148
4E ditto 105, 105

4E City Levies RegD (1E C) LMI JLS, Sh 62
6E Bowmen 58, 58
4E Reg D LI JLS, Sh w/ 1E Reg C 36, 36, 36

What does that cost thus far? 1114. We seem to be pretty close already: need some more bulk/terrain guys, and so 4E more Reg LMI JLS, Sh at 62 takes us to 1176. Check on units: we have 17, which at 1200 is just fine.

Do I see a role for the palisade? No.
Am I happy with the IrrA CinC? Yes, I think so; nice to have a vaguely-shock mounted unit, and he’s not going to be forced to fight.
Am I happy relying on a Saxon Ally-general? No, but no choice if I want the Saxons.

So - 20ish points to spend. I think I would reallly like to bulk the Saxons slightly; 1E of rear-rankers is 12, so I can afford 2E (1 for each of 2 units) as a partial 3rd rank, making a total of 1200, my max exactly.

This is a better list at 1600 but I’m not unhappy. If I have enemy elephants I’ll be delighted; if I have enemy pointy-stick foot I will be pretty happy; if I have massed enemy knights I will have to dance and outnumber. Should be decent at picking a spot and aiming the Saxons at it, I hope, while dancing elsewhere. I would like a LI B unit, and for the HC to be L-armed, but too bad. I would like to have something other than the close foot in the Saxon command - again, too bad.

Pending time for improvement, this is where I end up, I think:

2E EHC CinC
2x2E HC JLS, Sh
4x2E LC JLS, Sh
2x4E Reg LMI JLS, Sh
2x5E and 4E H/MI Saxons
3x4E LI JLS, Sh
2x6E Reg LMI B

I could drop the Saxons, gaining 358 points to buy more Romanised Brits (the irregular barbarian option is not my thing, although it is viable): a second EHC unit is 97, but after that it’s really more troops for the sake of more troops. Even with the 1/3 chance of unreliability, I think that the Saxon strike force is the way to go… and in fact that only gets more true at e.g. 1600, where trying to buy only natives gets *really* tedious!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: