Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Throw Down the Gauntlet 2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrian Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Throw Down the Gauntlet 2007

This event was held in Northmead Sydney over 17 and 18 November 2007. 1200 mini on 4 by 3 tables open lists preset terrain. 5 rounds played.

Results as follows:

Martin Williams Shang Chinese 20 points First Place
Greg Preston Later Pontic 20 points Second Place
Paul Collins Later Carthaginian 17 points Third Place

Paul Rattray Feudal French 13 points
Geoff Crick Early Burgundian 13 points
Mike Morgan Alexandrian Imperial 11 points (3 rounds only played)
Tibor Lendvai Alexandrian Imperial 9 points
Guy Sheppard Avar 7 points (4 rounds only played)
Bob Jeffery Seleucid 5 points
Adrian Williams Patrician Roman 5 points (1 round only played otherwise umpired)
John Harris Later Achaemenid Persian 4 points (3 rounds only played)
Dany Zaia Free Company 3 points (2 rounds only played)

This was the first year that we ran the tournament which I believe was perceived as having run well. I will be booking the venue for the same time and format next year hopefully with more notice and more numbers.

It is nice to play on little tables so you can sit down and save your back.

Martin has always trash-talked his own Shang but they seemed to do the job in the tournament.

For some reason some have already taken to calling the tournament "Sniff the Glove"

Adrian

scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Any general comments on the event? Things like table size. How did you do preset terrain?

Good showing!

scott

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject:

As a fellow Shang player, I'd be very interested to see the actual list used in this event. I love the army, but it sure is a challenge to figure out how to buy properly.

-Mark Stone
Martin Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: shang (Long)

The list I used was as follows:

3 units 4horse HCH (each of 3 chariots, with a general)

3 units 2horse HCH (also 3 per unit)

2 units 32 "IC" MI LTS 1/2 SH

1 unit 24 "IC" LMI JLS SH

2 units 24 "ID" LI B

2 units 12 "RC" LI B

My first game was against Geoff Crick's Early Burgundian (the usual horde of LB and Swiss) Things started Badly with his art and LB rolling up 3 and shaking (then routing) one of the blocks of spear. This also allowed the HC CB to kill my LMI. To top things off the swiss then started to chew through my Long spear. Fortunately at this point my opponent made an uncharacteristic mistake and decided to advance his Cin C and a unit of Lb without stakes in front of one of my units of chariots. The resulting rout (i rolled up 2) saw the burgundians pack up and go home 5-2 the good guys

Round 2 Paul Collins Later Carthaginians. MMM 8 elephants. A little bad luck made my defeat even quicker 1-5 the bad guys

Round 3 Paul Rattray feudal French. If there's one thing the chariots love facing its an army of knights. The chariots are also quite good at riding down moogs who will usually be uneasy. The IA French knights roll up but so do the shang and once the fight goes for more than a bound or two the chinese human wall prevails (albeit with heavy casualties)

Round 4 Greg Preston (Pontic) Fortunateluy the 6 scythed chariots (2 on a command flank march) have little effect beyond destroying my large LI units (the flank march is unlucky not to break one of my 2 horse chariot units which proves almost supernaturally resiliant). This leaves the rest of the pontic army without the necessary firepower (Relying on peltasts and HC) to take on the Shang. They dance around for a while but go down 4-1.

Round 5 Mike Morgan (alex Imperial) Incredibly Mike has a theoretical shot at placing in spite of not playing on the first day! This one is given to me by the dice. My first shot is an up3 (LI Vs El) and this just seems to keep happening. My LI cant fail a waver and seem to be firing laser guided smart bombs. By the time the Alexandrian Pike and hypaspists are fighting its too late as almost all the Macedonian cav are dead. 5-1 the good guys

I enjoyed the comp a great deal ( I like the small format) and the Shang far exceeded my expectations (based on their performance up to the comp).

Martin
Adrian Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject:

The tables were four foot by three foot.

The umpire (me) preset the terrain - there were nine possible tables which were totally different each day. Each table had between 2 and 4 terrain pieces. If there were only 2 at least one of them would be really big.

Noone complained about the terrain, which was fairly typical for our tournaments which always use pre-set terrain.

Adrian

Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: shang (Long)

Martin Williams wrote:
The list I used was as follows:

Fortunately at this point my opponent made an uncharacteristic mistake and decided to advance his Cin C and a unit of Lb without stakes in front of one of my units of chariots. The resulting rout (i rolled up 2) saw the burgundians pack up and go home 5-2 the good guys

Martin

I don't know that you can call it uncharacteristic!!!
In my 4th game I inadvertantly moved my SHK CinC within charge range of a unit of elephants Embarassed
Luckily for me my opponent rolled very poorly and I got away with it.

Cheers............Geoff
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject:

What terrain pieces did you use?

scott

Adrian Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Stuff from my personal collection and stuff belonging to the collection of the now defunct Blue Mountains Wargaming Club.

Types used included: woods, steep and low hills, brush, rocky ground and marsh.

Some pieces were plastic vomit type material (one marsh in particular), some felt was used, with railway type model trees on top for woods, I have some cut out wooden pieces which were used as woods, the hills were a mixture of wooden and cast plastic hobby ones. Overall it was reasonably attractive terrain. The felt tended to have good trees or plastic lichen or similar on top of it.

Adrian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: