Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark Age Warrior List Rule Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
...but it's tough to picture the Huscarls dropping the 2 handed axes while locked in combat; also switching from 2H axe to sword and shield while in combat would be very tricky.

That's typically what we think but there are two references out there that analyze unit behavior in battle. The initial one reaches the conclusion that it takes surprisingly few soldiers to be conspicuously doing any fighting to keep a unit involved in fighting. It suggests that most warriors are much more passively involved in the fighting, I guess until their side wins, loses, or their turn comes to "step up to the plate." This thesis is from SLA Marshall's "Men Against Fire", a study on firing rates in the European theater in WW2. As you can imagine, it was well received for almost two generations but now the inevitable historical revisionism is being inflicted upon it. That being said, go to amazon and read the reader reviews. One references David Hackworth lambasting Marshall. Oops, I digress.

Anybody have Adrian Goldsworthy's book The Roman Army at War, 100 BC-200AD? Apparently he attempts to apply this concept to Roman HTH. Page 222.

scott

scott holder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: SHIELDWALL AND DISORDER

I've spent a lot of time going over the idea of shieldwall being some type of "anti-disorder" formation and have come to the conclusion that it was not. Lemme walk you thru my thought process.

In Warrior as published, there is no formation that does this. The formations that orbit around shieldwall in terms of how we're looking at it are testudo, orb, fulcum. In addition to these formations, and actually closer to shieldwall in terms of description we have the hoplite phalanx and pike phalanx.

If in testudo or orb, you recoil. No mention of any anti-disorder feature. Same when looking at fulcum (which is heavily derived from testudo and orb). If somebody "shocks" your formation enough, it disorders using criteria established as the "norm" for most unit disorder.

The pike phalanx, arguably the most dense and massive formation in the game, also has no anti-disorder feature. Instead, it has a "harder to recoil" feature as shown in it's post-combat movement in the first bound of HTH.

The hoplite phalanx, because of its general less depth than the pike phalanx, doesn't get that "d/o first, then recoil" option. Thus, it's more related to testudo, orb and fulcum in that regard.

And shieldwall is much more akin to the hoplite phalanx than anything else I've found. The primary descriptions and secondary sourcing descriptions are eerily similar to hoplites in terms of how the lines were dressed, the slow plod toward contact, the re-dressing of the lines as the unit moved forward, the psychology of having that shield protect your "open" right side, etc. There's one description of a Viking shieldwall in 1161 that states if was five ranks deep. Okay, not hoplite phalanx depth but possibly close enough for what we're talking about. And certainly not pike phalanx depth. No one doubts the density of the formation but "dense formations" have not in Warrior provided an "anti-disorder" capability.

In fact, the only time we've given anybody some type of anti-disorder antidote has been manipular or cohortal Romans and one argument there is the looser nature of the unit formation provided the resiliency needed to absorb some shock and not lose unit cohesion in the near term. Clearly we had good reasons for doing that in those few lists that use that tactical system.

No matter how enticing it might be from a game mechanic standpoint, I just can't see any way that shieldwall helps prevent disorder.

Now, you can certainly debate the fine points of how it should be treated in post-HTH in terms of pike phalanx (stand and d/o) or hoplite phalanx (recoil, which is no different than testudo, orb or fulcum) and apply standard causes of d/o to the unit.

Does shieldwall provide a certain protective robustness vs shooting? Yeah. Does it also provide some advantages in HTH? Yeah. Was it a slow formation that moved to contact but did not contact with the "oomph" that reaches Warrior's definition of impetuous? Yeah.

How we go about modeling that is still very uncertain. I bring all this up not to simply dismiss and idea out of hand (the anti-d/o suggestion) but to acknowledge that we're looking at these suggestions very carefully and trying to work thru the ramifications of each one and balance that with the historical record, such that it is in this case.

Again, we're finding the ideas put forth and the discussion *very* useful. And if it looks like I've ignored some of the specific suggestions, I haven't. They just don't need the level of back and forth like this idea.

scott

Tibor
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Re SLA Marshall - is he relevant?

Marshall’s work seems at best only slightly related to Warrior – 20th cent firing rates have little bearing on hand to hand combat and firing bows and arrows with 12 or 20 arrows in your quiver.

http://warchronicle.com/us/combat_historians_wwii/marshallproblem.htm

http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usawc/Parameters/03autumn/chambers.pdf

The above links establish even Marshall’s method’ is at best unscientific and even anecdotal.

Tibor

scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject:

I'm aware of the criticisms of Marshall's work.

Please don't turn this thread into an exercise in source debate. I'll delete those posts.

scott

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Scott,

How is the "new" shieldwall ideas holding up to the charge by lancers like the Norman?

Todd K

scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Um, plug and chug some numbers.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the only way shieldwall works in a cav sense is if there's a -2 penalty.

Again, do some number crunching exercises. There are numerous variables involved in this and how we handle some of those could impact on this.

scott

Martin Williams
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: shield wall

if a shield wall gives a -2 and has a front rank armed with 2hcw it should see off normans (HC) bya fine margin (normans 20 vs foot 21). A jls armed shield wall is still in trouble. Againts heavier cav (particularly shk) the shield wall will lose, but at least there would have to be a couple of units of knights to get a cpf and force the shield wall back (or disoredr it at the halt as the case may be). This is changed slightly if the shield wall has a second rank of archers.

Another question that comes to mind is should the minus for fighting shield wall apply to all foot? What about HTW that is often exempted from these penalties?

Martin
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: shield wall

Martin Williams wrote:
if a shield wall gives a -2 and has a front rank armed with 2hcw it should see off normans (HC) bya fine margin (normans 20 vs foot 21). A jls armed shield wall is still in trouble. Againts heavier cav (particularly shk) the shield wall will lose, but at least there would have to be a couple of units of knights to get a cpf and force the shield wall back (or disoredr it at the halt as the case may be). This is changed slightly if the shield wall has a second rank of archers.

Another question that comes to mind is should the minus for fighting shield wall apply to all foot? What about HTW that is often exempted from these penalties?

Martin

Seems like HTW should work as well against shield wall as against other formations; the rationale for throwing pilum just before contact is to drag down your opponent's shield, right?

And when you crunch numbers for shield wall, don't forget that the Saxons as Hastings were halted higher, which is an automatic -2.

-Mark Stone
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject:

I have run all of the above, HTW, JLS vs Normans, Hastings analysis, etc.

No firm conclusions as yet but we're getting there.

scott

MarkBall
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject:

I am often amused about "Historical" matchups when people talk about actual battle and comparing the history to Warrior. I think sometimes people need to remember that we do throw dice in this game.

Does anyone know what dice the saxons throw at Hastings, was it evens +1 +2 +3 or the very rare +4?

Let the arms race continue.........
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for that helpful first comment.

Please do not hijack this thread with grousing about how you don't like the way FHE's treating Warrior.

scott

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Does anyone know what dice the saxons throw at Hastings, was it evens +1 +2 +3 or the very rare +4?

Mark,

We we do know that the Norman archers must have rolled +3 in shooting and caused a wounding of the general Harold eh???

I believe we all understand that we are playing a game here Mark, but there have been vast attempts over the years (nevermind the huge amount of work and discussion - I have luckily been a part of this discussion over the years in a few areas) to get it as close to historical as possible. There is no perfect system short of going back in time with various armies and see how they would fight it out. Since that is not possible and we're talking about 5000 years of history and trying to make it work - a little slack might be given here.

I'm sure that units over time fought with various effectiveness depending on a lot of factors too numerous to discuss. Bringing in a few random factors takes this all into account. Otherwise we just all play chess right?

If we all went back to playing 7th or 6th or 5th etc... we would see even more historical inaccuracies in how troops performed even with historical matchups. This current system is trying to make it as close as possible and that should be rewarded IMO.

Sincerely,

Todd Kaeser
6th, 7th, and Warrior player since 1986

Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject:

MarkBall wrote:
I am often amused about "Historical" matchups when people talk about actual battle and comparing the history to Warrior. I think sometimes people need to remember that we do throw dice in this game.

Let the arms race continue.........

Good call Mark!!
As you know, I sometimes don't take bad dice rolls very well Wink
I'm pretty sure none of us would play though if there was no element of luck involved. Everyone needs a 7 factor swing to include in their " I could've been a contender " speech at the end of the comp.

Cheers.....Geoff
wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject:

scott holder wrote:
Thank you for that helpful first comment.

Please do not hijack this thread with grousing about how you don't like the way FHE's treating Warrior.

scott

I am constantly amazed by your approach to this forum Scott. You asked for feedback, Mark provided some; you then tried to shut him down. Feedback is what allows organizations to grow. A customer telling you how fantastic your product is serves little purpose. Someone telling you of a perceived flaw (or an alternative viewpoint) should be much more valuable.

There is a very important point here. From my reading of this thread, people are in part attempting to discuss a rule to cover a specific battle - Hastings. I believe what Mark is asking is valid. If the Normans *should* have won, why did the battle last so long? Does the catastrophe rule simulate Harold's demise? If I understand what Mark is asking, then should a new rule allow the HC to beat a shieldwall? Or should the Norman's need to roll a plus 3 to do so?

Another piece of feedback.
Paul Collins.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: posts, messaging

Messaging is very difficult in print, especially online when the nature of our posts is often casual, and they are quickly made.

'Emotional' content is hard to convey or interpret.

Mark makes a comment 'let the arms race continue' as if to say that he is pouring derision over the issue of list rules. That's what Scott would be reacting strongly to.

NO basic set of rules can account for a wide set of simulations. Warrior definitely does require list rules. The only debatable point is really the point system, which the Four Horsemen have said they would entertain replacements for, yet which none of us properly have the time for.

As Scott and Jon have had to deal with a whole set of 'antagonistic' online postings, their responses are most often justified.

The above post in question has no content of value for this discussion, that is clear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: