Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark Age Warrior List Rule Ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickster61
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Foot blocks

Scott,

Have you considered something like the following:

In a block of "barbarian" foot, the first two ranks of troops are costed at normal, but the third & forth ranks are half normal cost. A restriction to this formation would be that the unit has to stay in the deep formation that you paid for the troops.

This would allow the Saxon (to continue the Norman v Saxon example), to field a larger army to stand off those nasty mounted guys. The restriction would be in force to make sure you didn't buy a deep block at "discount prices" and then bring them out wide to make a "larger" unit.

Rick
MarkBall
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mark makes a comment 'let the arms race continue' as if to say that he is pouring derision over the issue of list rules. That's what Scott would be reacting strongly to.

I enjoy playing warrior and only played TOG a few times, I say let the arms race continue not as insult or to deride but as fact, list rules and other improvement namely 1.5 rank lance & non impet 2HCT, yes improvements imo, have changed the dynamic of warrior, compared to TOG.

Paul Collins has actually understood the spirit of the post

Quote:
Thank you for that helpful first comment.

You are welcome.

Let the arms race continue......
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Does anybody else have any suggestions that actually pertain to the specific issue at hand and not the meta issues of list rules and game dynamic?

That's what this thread is about. Frank sums it up better than I did.

And yes, obviously when we've looked at Hastings, one of the things we look at are the "up roll" possibilities and how impacts not only on our perception of the battle but our analysis on how Warrior should model the battle.

Rick: I honestly don't know about this. My knee jerk reaction is that it goes off in a very different direction whose impact would be very hard to judge. As an idea, it sorta orbits into why creating a viable, new, point system for this game is so friggin hard. I've still got hand written notes on this from the last time I sat down to attempt this. The "easy" part is assigning a partial point value to any given figure. The hard part is assigning a point value for the "fighting value" of said figure which is impacted not only by weapon type but location in the formation.

scott

scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject:

wargame692000 wrote:
I am constantly amazed by your approach to this forum Scott. You asked for feedback, Mark provided some; you then tried to shut him down. Feedback is what allows organizations to grow. A customer telling you how fantastic your product is serves little purpose. Someone telling you of a perceived flaw (or an alternative viewpoint) should be much more valuable.

I'm sorry but if Mr Ball wanted to provide thoughtful feedback and analysis on the specific subject at hand, a lengthier post that didn't consist of a series of snide asides would have been a far better approach. His second post went some way to clarifying what he was originally trying to say.

We certainly want alternative views on mechanic specifics. I mean look at some of the ideas tossed out as possible alternatives to the Barbarian Foot rules. You don't see me "shutting down discussion" in that regard. In fact, the current Barbarian Foot rules came about because of the input of Marc Cribbs who ran numbers on a slew of historical matchups and found a really legitimate flaw in the original proposal which then prompted us to go back to the drawing board so to speak.

wargame692000 wrote:
There is a very important point here. From my reading of this thread, people are in part attempting to discuss a rule to cover a specific battle - Hastings. I believe what Mark is asking is valid. If the Normans *should* have won, why did the battle last so long? Does the catastrophe rule simulate Harold's demise? If I understand what Mark is asking, then should a new rule allow the HC to beat a shieldwall? Or should the Norman's need to roll a plus 3 to do so?

You have it 180 degrees the other way. We operate under no assumption that the Normans "should" have won. To paraphrase Wellington, it was a near run thing and thus, Warrior should reflect that. It's clear that Harold did everything he could to maximize his holding strength against the Norman cav, namely to use a tactical formation *then* deploy it uphill of his opponent. That suggests he didn't feel shieldwall alone would have been enough to repel Norman cav on flat ground and as we all know, infantry of the period is a speed bump against such troops, which is as it should be. The problem as we see it, close order foot from the period doesn't have anything close to approximating shieldwall, a formation that clearly existed as a distinct formation and that we have enough descriptions of to be able to characterize in ways already within Warrior.

This is an interesting discussion and not one unique to us. After Armati 2nd edition came out, they began talking about shieldwall in a manner very similar to this. I'm not sure what conclusions, if any, they came to.

scott

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Scott,

Would the shieldwall be prohibited in woods? What about other terrain?

It appears that this formation would have been impossible in certain rough terrains - do you see any restrictions on using the formation?

Todd K

Last edited by Todd Kaeser on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Couldn't be formed in Difficult or Impassible (6.71).
Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject:

scott holder wrote:

It's clear that Harold did everything he could to maximize his holding strength against the Norman cav, namely to use a tactical formation *then* deploy it uphill of his opponent.
scott

I agree with this. Trying to use Hastings is as dangerous as using Crecy to model English LB vs French Knights. Cavalry charging missile troops uphill behind pits should expect a beating as happened at Crecy.
I am in agreement that shieldwalls on the flat should still be in trouble against exceptional heavy cavalry such as Norman Knights who were standouts in their period. The problem currently with close order foot without a long pointy stick is that any HC with L can do them. This is what makes them non-viable in open tournaments.

Cheers...........Geoff
wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject:

wargame692000 wrote:
There is a very important point here. From my reading of this thread, people are in part attempting to discuss a rule to cover a specific battle - Hastings. I believe what Mark is asking is valid. If the Normans *should* have won, why did the battle last so long? Does the catastrophe rule simulate Harold's demise? If I understand what Mark is asking, then should a new rule allow the HC to beat a shieldwall? Or should the Norman's need to roll a plus 3 to do so?

Scott Said: (Sorry the quote thingy didnt work for me here).

You have it 180 degrees the other way. We operate under no assumption that the Normans "should" have won. To paraphrase Wellington, it was a near run thing and thus, Warrior should reflect that. It's clear that Harold did everything he could to maximize his holding strength against the Norman cav, namely to use a tactical formation *then* deploy it uphill of his opponent. That suggests he didn't feel shieldwall alone would have been enough to repel Norman cav on flat ground and as we all know, infantry of the period is a speed bump against such troops, which is as it should be. The problem as we see it, close order foot from the period doesn't have anything close to approximating shieldwall, a formation that clearly existed as a distinct formation and that we have enough descriptions of to be able to characterize in ways already within Warrior. scott[/quote]

Paul says:
For what it is worth I agree. I believe that the best shock knights of the period should have ridden down basic foot types on the flat. There was a combination of factors that saw the Normans carry the day at Hastings. I was trying to highlight an alternative viewpoint and make the point that other factors (some of which cannot be replicated in Warrior) effected the historical event.

As others pointed out, a simply -2 for opponents of the shieldwall would see them provide a steady performance in the open.
As Martin pointed out, a front rank 2HCW, SH/rear rank JLS, SH would see a small win against HC, L, SH. An all JLS, SH unit would lose but not as badly as non-shieldwall units. Add a hill to the defense and quite rightly, the foot wins on evens.

So, I think this is the right approach. I would add that I believe all figures in the front 2 ranks should be equipped with a shield. I would also recommend a minimum number of elements. Possibly 8 or 10. This will stop the 2 element shieldwall. The shieldwall should also be restricted to certain types. Peasants with no martial training should not be able to enter this formation.

I was also thinking about Normans. Like companions in Alex's day, Normans were superior troops in their time. I have some suggestions for possible list rules.

a) When charging impetuous they fight 2 full ranks. I ran the numbers and this would allow them to beat either all JLS shieldwalls and 2HCW/JLS shield walls in the open. However, on evens they do not beat either on a hill.
b) They should be able to change impetuous when uneasy.
c) They should not take the additional fatigue for consecutive charges.

I believe these rules will differentiate them from their lesser contemporaries and go some way to highlight their motivation to charge.

If these list rules applied to the later period (HK and EHK rather than HC), then they would lose to SHKs but beat (non-Norman) HKs and EHKs. For me this is fine. I do not have the chart with me so please correct me if I am wrong on this one…

Cheers
Paul Collins.
Siward
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject:

wargame692000 wrote:

I was also thinking about Normans. Like companions in Alex's day, Normans were superior troops in their time. I have some suggestions for possible list rules.

a) When charging impetuous they fight 2 full ranks. I ran the numbers and this would allow them to beat either all JLS shieldwalls and 2HCW/JLS shield walls in the open. However, on evens they do not beat either on a hill.

Cheers
Paul Collins.

I have always thought that any mounted with lance should have at least a slight impact advantage over mounted with lance who also have a missile weapon. Generally mounted who only have a lance should be superior as all their training and mindset is dedicated to one thing – impact. I would love this to be reflected across the board. Unfortunately giving two full ranks to all Lance only mounted probably has too many implications in other areas ( eg: SHK vs P win without luck ). For exceptional troops like Normans though I think this would work if they were impetuous as stated. I disagree with them being able to charge when uneasy as that would break the psychological balance of the rules. Norman behaviour can be simulated in this regard by making a front rank element Irreg A – never uneasy. I also disagree with them not taking the additional fatigue for consecutive charges. I have not read anything to indicate they were less susceptible to fatigue than other mounted.

Cheers...........Geoff
wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject:

Siward wrote:

For exceptional troops like Normans though I think this would work if they were impetuous as stated.

Cool.

Siward wrote:

I disagree with them being able to charge when uneasy as that would break the psychological balance of the rules.

Norman behaviour can be simulated in this regard by making a front rank element Irreg A – never uneasy. I also disagree with them not taking the additional fatigue for consecutive charges. I have not read anything to indicate they were less susceptible to fatigue than other mounted.

I do not think the irregular A change rules correctly model the behavior of the Norman Knight as well as it does say a Viking Berserk. Being IA does allow imp. charge with unease but there are negative aspects as well. I.E compulsorily charge on attack and probe orders. My reading of the histories doesn’t show Normans ALWAYS charging when provided the opportunity.

Cheers
Paul.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject:

Siward wrote:

Cheers
Paul Collins.

If (a) is going to be considered seriously, then this must apply only against foot. There is no reason why HC should get two full ranks against HK, EHK, SHK, SHC, or EHC.

wargame692000 wrote:

I have always thought that any mounted with lance should have at least a slight impact advantage over mounted with lance who also have a missile weapon. Generally mounted who only have a lance should be superior as all their training and mindset is dedicated to one thing – impact. I would love this to be reflected across the board.
Cheers...........Geoff

There's a mechanism that could accomplish this using existing rules mechanics in a new way, and I've proposed it privately to FHE before (as far as I know it is filed for future consideration). This would also address the Byzantine skirmish problem. Here it is:

1. Disallow skirmish formation to MC and HC.

2. Introduce three new troop types, available as list rules to appropriate lists:
* Light Medium Cavalry (LMC)
* Light Heavy Cavalry (LHC)
* Light Extra Heavy Cavalry (LEHC)

3. LMC, LHC, and LEHC have the following characteristics:
* They are eligible to evade in any situation just like Light Chariots
* When losing in combat they must break off just light Light Chariots
* If armed with a missile weapon they may adopt skirmish formation

4. On lists to which applicable, the list rule would be: "Option to turn entire units of MC, HC, or EHC into LMC, LHC, or EHC respectively... any"

This approach basically forces a player to think of his cavalry as either shock-oriented or missile-oriented. If shock-oriented, then they are proficient in both lance and bow (typically), and of course you pay more for them than just lance armed troops. The down side is that you can't skirmish, evade etc. And why should you be able to? You're shock mounted. If missile-oriented, then you get to do all the cool things missile troops can do, like evade and skirmish, but the flip side is you are more brittle in hand to hand combat, losing out on the recoil option and having to break off instead.

Just my opinion on an issue I grant is highlyl subjective, but I think this would get us a lot closer to representing the way horse archers actually performed historically, and would give pure lance-armed cavalry a better match-up against their bow-armed counterparts.

-Mark Stone
wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject:

Mark Stone wrote:

If (a) is going to be considered seriously, then this must apply only against foot. There is no reason why HC should get two full ranks against HK, EHK, SHK, SHC, or EHC.

Can you please explain why you think this Mark? Some of these troop types are not historical opponants. Therefore I assume your problem with my suggestion to be a game mechanism issue. Restricting a list rule in this way seems contrary to the standard approach.
Rich Pichnarczyk
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Shieldwall ideas

Scott,
To add to shieldwall suggestions, since most if not all of these formations are irregular they take 2X fatigue pts from hand to hand fighting. Reducing combat fatigue to 1X fatigue pts (like regulars) would add to their offensive strength by not being tired (in the later combat rounds) and naturally add to their overall staying power.

Being in a "formation", shieldwall, is somewhat akin to fighting in a more organized way simulating to a certain extent regulars in combat.

I have found that in the Saxon-Viking matchups I do, the infantry blocks are nearly always tired after the first round of combat (especially with "barbarian" rules added).

I also believe that reducing missile damage to units in shieldwall makes sense. This is much less relevant in any game sense since any damage is minimal because these units are generally very large.

Rich Pichnarczyk
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Shieldwall ideas

Scott,
Another thought regarding shieldwall is temporarily attaching adjacent units in a continuous battle line while in shieldwall to form larger units for combat and CPF purposes.

This would also mitigate (to a certain extent) the "gamey-IMO" tactic of one element wide units attacking the "end" element of a large unit in the middle of a battleline. Adjacent units would be able to participate in more than support shooting on later bounds.

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject:

wargame692000 wrote:
Mark Stone wrote:

Can you please explain why you think this Mark? Some of these troop types are not historical opponants. Therefore I assume your problem with my suggestion to be a game mechanism issue. Restricting a list rule in this way seems contrary to the standard approach.

The fact that some of these are not historical opponents is part of my point. List rules are designed to better simulate historical behavior of units against historical opponents, and thus their scope should be limited to reasonable historical opponents if this can be done without adding to the complexity of the rules overall.

Cavalry combat in Warrior has a nicely balanced evolution: lance-armed HC beats JLS-armed cav handily, but knights beat HC handily and indeed all other things being equal SHK will rout HC at contact, which seems exactly right. This balance should be tampered with only if there is a specific historical case that stretches the rules to the needs of a list rule.

I'm not aware of any examples that suggest that Norman HC are out of line with historical performance against mounted opponents. And we have a lot of historical data to pull from, looking not just at Normans in Europe but Sicilian Normans and Normans in Byzantine service. It is getting the interactions with foot right that proves tricky.

-Mark Stone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: