Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JLS armed cav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D PIPER
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: JLS armed cav

The post for ideas for the dark ages has brought up a question that I have been wanting to ask. Besides Cav that have the special 1.5 ranks fighting are there any players that routinely bring JLS armed cav above the minimum required and if they do why? I understand that JLS armed LC can still scout, shoot, and screen so I can see if this is all you can get it still can be useful. But why would you bring any more than the minimum of the heavier types, unless playing only historical battles. I have only played limited actual games so I feel I may be missing something.
wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject:

As you say JLS armed LC can be useful. It can scout, shoot, charge; and JLS is an effective weapon against one of their primary targets - LI. However heavier JLS armed cavalry is less effective. Without a list rule they only fight in one rank. Therefore they are generally outmatched by L armed cavalry and nearly all reasonable foot. For these reasons most people stick to the minimums.
Having said that, there are uses for JLS armed MC and HC. They are shielded shirmishers (if they have a SH). Therefore they are harder to shoot-up that B armed cav.
They are mounted. Therefore when they charge a loose or open order foot unit, it must test. Placed between units, this can deter enemy LI or LMI from shirmishing in front of frendly close order troops.

Cheers
Paul.
Noel White
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject:

This probably belongs in "Tactics" now.

JLS regular cav aren't the greatest. L, B is always better. JLS irregulars are even worse.
However, since using Late Achaemenid Persians I have found some uses.

Many players like to play small 2E cavalry units.
If you can catch them unprotected, they are very easy to shoot-up. With a larger (4E+) unit of "regular" JLS cav, you can run up into skirmish, shoot them to oblivion and follow-up with a charge of your own if you've tired them out. Alternately you can evade their obliged charge (hope they don't roll up, or you roll down) and charge them tired, disordered and rallying next turn. If you have something to cover your evade you'll be safer.

Of course, most good players will have some LI/LC protection for their Cav. So these circumstances are both unlikely and hard to orchestrate. Bigger cav units are also hard to get in the right place at the right time.

JLS regular cavalry can also use their skirmish potential to stall infantry advances. Open them up to cover the most ground, and evade when you have to. Not a viable tactic versus bow armed infantry! Irregulars are also pretty useless here, since skirmish formation is very hard to adopt when you can only move 40p, and have to be 40p away (mostly). Really, you'd be better of with LC in both cases.

Usually it's their presence that has the most effect. They make decent (but costly) back-up troops for your LI, and can turn the tide in LI interactions by limiting enemy charge options. Sadly, universally more useful mounted can also fill this roll well.

Noel.
D PIPER
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject:

I agree with you that there are some uses for this kind of troop. But it seems that there is no reason to take any more than the bare mininums on the lists if there is anything in the way of other cavalry. I try to read as many of the battle AAR's and Lists from the tournaments to at least get some idea how the game plays with out being able to play. It seems to me that most players agree with me because I vary rarely see anything but the minimums fielded in these reports. I may be totaly off base here but that is the impression that I get.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject:

D PIPER wrote:
I agree with you that there are some uses for this kind of troop. But it seems that there is no reason to take any more than the bare mininums on the lists if there is anything in the way of other cavalry. I try to read as many of the battle AAR's and Lists from the tournaments to at least get some idea how the game plays with out being able to play. It seems to me that most players agree with me because I vary rarely see anything but the minimums fielded in these reports. I may be totaly off base here but that is the impression that I get.

Your analysis is correct. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to use JLS-armed HC, here's my thoughts:

All loose order cavalry has the important characteristic of having 4 march moves and 160p tactical move. With the march moves, this means you should have no trouble getting cavalry to where you want it in the battle. If you've played close order foot or irregular loose foot with only 2 march moves, you begin to appreciate how valuable this is.

A 160p tactical move means that you move further than all foot. That means that any skirmishing foot forced to evade is in danger of being caught if you can get to 40p. Would it be better to have lance? Sure. But sometimes just offering the threat that you can move up to 40p and chase down evaders is enough to change your opponent's tactics.

Finally, figure for figure JLS is better than lance against certain targets (LC, LI). If you know you are going to do twice as many regardless, sometimes you want to be 2 wide and 1 deep to maximize total casualties and give yourself the best chance to get to 3 CPF. In these situations JLS can actually be better than lance. The most common such situation is when you are using an HC unit to back up your light infantry, your light infantry gets charged by enemy LC, and now you want to charge through your light infantry and give yourself the best chance of routing the enemy LC.

So those are a few situations in which JLS-armed HC shows value. I'd still never buy more than the minimum unless it was the only cavalry available to me on the list.

-Mark Stone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: