Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shieldwall Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Playtest

I used Boran Norse-Irish, and Mark Stone played Russ (with admittedly many more Bulgars than Russ!)

My typical units were:
Irr B(2E)/D(7E) LMI 2HCW,JLS,Sh(2E)/JLS,Sh(7E)
...this unit can use the Barbarian rules, or Shield Wall rules, as I saw fit. I lowered the morale in order to save overall 84 points and take another unit...it didn't matter in my battle (but certainly could if you have an infantry on infantry slog and stuff starts dieing).

Mark had a fair amount of lights, including LC, and was able to pin me and choose his points of contact...but I did get good terrain (2 steep hills anywhere) and so cut the frontage down to the frontage I could cover with a few reserves.

Shield wall meant that my LMI and Viking Ally LHI didn't have to waver for Bulgar HC lancer charges. It meant I had slow going and couldn't initiate attacks...and I was still losing and recalling disordered.

The problem for Mark was that he needed to send in 1 HC unit against my shield wall loose order foot unit...THEN a follow up charge. Instead his big initial attack was element per element.

He also couldn't expand in follow up given my flank coverage.

Shield wall felt appropriate, and still attackable (Mark should have done consecutive bound charges as noted, and combined arms with Russ foot plus Bulgar lancers, not lancers alone), as well as limiting to my movement and attack capabilities.

Frank
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the update.

Is there anything else you think might improve this concept?

scott

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: not yet...

I think we've got it where we want it for now...and just need more general play at an event with this rule.

I think a touch of clarity regarding when Shield Wall is involuntarily lost is needed...is it when rallying BEGINS? or when rallying is COMPLETED...big difference...and not sure from the wording.

Frank
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject:

From an incorrect ruling at Cold Wars (hoorah me!!!!!!!), note the following in

3 a (iii)
Currently reads:
Quote:
Charge non-impetuously or countercharge no greater than 40p. Units in Shieldwall do not roll for variable distance when charging.

It should read:

Quote:
Charge non-impetuously no greater than 40p or countercharge non-impetuously. Units in Shieldwall do not roll for variable distance when charging."

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Shieldwall

I am all in favour of shieldwall - even when I run little blocks of cavalry, like the no expansion and the 3 ranks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: