Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

detachment issues, 3 questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject:

joncleaves wrote:
The intent is that the combined body can never be such that if either parent or detachment left the other in that moment (whether that moment is an appropriate movement phase or not) one or both would be left in an illegal formation.

I am taking suggestions for errata language that accomplishes the above.

Hmmm...my proposed language doesn't accomplish this. In fact this is quite tricky...as a combined body must also obey all other restrictions in the rules.

Therefore, you could easily have a body of Parent plus Detachment that, even though the rear ranks are loose or open order, could never expand in a follow up as that would render the body either with multiple uneven ranks (forbidden) or violating what you have just stated here (should they be separate, they would be in an illegal formation.)

I recommend meeting with me, Scott, and probably a couple of others at Cold Wars with some bodies to experiment on a tabletop about detachments and movement...especially in the face of enemy units implying other movement restrictions.

I personally think that something like "The combined body of parent and detachment must be such that if, at any moment, they were separate bodies and not joined, neither would be in an illegal formation" runs us afoul of other rules intent and renders detachments very highly limited, perhaps more so than you desire.

Frank
joncleaves

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject:

That's why I have been cool with "intermingled".
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: yet...

Yet, intermingled, not very well defined, still runs detachments, parent bodies, and combined units afoul of the problems I've been bringing up...

Going to start another rules thread about 'side edge AND corner-to-corner'.

Frank
OGS-Vintage
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Detachments

.make them both independant bodies, but detachment has reduced command cost as per rules - this allows it to run around to its hearts content.

BALANCE - IF the detachment routs, etc, the parent wavers irregardless of where the detachment is, AND all in range. Sounds silly but cuts outs rule x.xx through x.xx+100

I hate paperwork. Plus, if you cannot keep track of units, stop playing.

By two bits worth.

The simplest solutions are not always popular.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: