Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uneven Rear Rank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Uneven Rear Rank

Page 59, 6.41 Block formation
"All ranks except the last must have the same number of elements."

...except regular units must (unless passing a gap or following up) have all equal ranks...

So, I have an irregular body in Block...and its last rank does not have the same number of elements as the rest...it has more. Is that permitted?

As an example, imagine an irregular body that is 1E wide for the first 3 ranks, but its 4th rank is 2E or more wide.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Kudos

Clearly, Frank has more time on his hands than the rest of us right now Smile).

I think that the recent series of questions should qualify for some sort of award. If only the "The Meaning of 'is,' is.." award Smile
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: detachments

All of this is motivated by trying to fully understand how detachment and parent bodies operate when combined, following up, attaching, detaching...etc.

An 'L' shaped body as noted above might arise as part of such a combined unit...unless it's prohibited, in which case Jon's intent to have both parent and detachment always in legal sub-formations will cause certain combined bodies that otherwise could to be unable to expand in a follow-up, and certain detached bodies to be unable to join, although they otherwise 'could'...which is very confusing.

Note the rules on Contracting: page 38, 6.123, "Changes in Frontage"
"In a contraction, the body is formed into a block that is up to two elements less wide than it started." - What does up to 2 really mean here? 0-2? Can I contract without actually being less wide? Wink

"As long as these rules are followed, other elements may be organized as the player sees fit." - ok...think about the following case of contraction -

Irregular Body...3 elements wide, 2 elements deep...I follow the contraction rules and pull up the middle front element, the right front element, and the right rear element (but NOT the middle rear element.) I then place these 3 elements I have picked up behind the front left element.

That results now in an extended 'L' shape body with only one uneven rank, the last....which is 2 elements wide.

This 'appears' to follow all of the rules.

But again...I'm motivated mainly by the profound weirdness of detachments and parents trying to combine, expand, contract and satisfy all of the rules properly.

Frank
joncleaves

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject:

[[So, I have an irregular body in Block...and its last rank does not have the same number of elements as the rest...it has more. Is that permitted? ]]

No.

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject:

joncleaves wrote:
[[So, I have an irregular body in Block...and its last rank does not have the same number of elements as the rest...it has more. Is that permitted? ]]

No.

We'll need some erratta on that, as right now the rules just state "uneven", they don't state which ranks have to be shorter or longer.

I think if you say that the last rank must be the short rank, this has the consequence of preventing such bodies from making a 180 about face. That might be fine, but just wanted to put that thought out there.

Thanks for your patience with all of this, Jon. It isn't just abstract musing; Frank and I have real game situations that have driven this.

-Mark Stone
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: 180 about face

Actually, Mark, the rules on 180 turn take account of the uneven rear rank issue...so the rules already handle that one.

page 38, 6.122
joncleaves

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject:

I will add an errata to the next update that tells the players that the last rank is the one that can have less elements.

Until then, this is an official answer.

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks

Thank you very much, Jon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: