Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Murphy's lead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Buy, Sell, Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Murphy's lead

[edit March 22 - the only item remaining for sale until at least Historicon is the 25mm Normans, possibly at or after Historicon the 15/25 Moldavians will both be re-evaluated for consideration for sale, the 15mm Anglo-Irish will not be sold, everything else is already gone]

Over the past couple months I have decided I am dumping some, most actually, of my 15/25 ancients and medievals lead. No trades, need the money.

Numbers are approximate, have not decided on pricing yet. But will have a good idea over the next few days. Want to avoid shipping hassles so Cold Wars delivery is preferred if you are not local to DC/NoVa area.

"WRG-based" is my shorthand way of describing the element basing typical of WRG 7th, Warrior or DBA/M/MM or nowdays many other rules sets.

1. 25mm Normans, good paint job (done early-90s by an old gaming buddy on the west coast), decent condition, about 100 mounted and 30 foot, individually mag-based but scaled for metal WRG sub-bases, kept for sentimental reasons but only played twice in 15 years so who am I kidding really (Old Glory)

2. 25mm HYW/WotR, good paint job (bought off ebay), variable okay to bad condition (spears missing etc - some already reworked rest could be re-worked with time - the a55hole I bought them from essentially dropped them into an open box and sent them off), about 25 mounted and 200 foot, WRG-based

3. 25mm Wallachian/Moldavian/Lithuanian LC, excellent paint job (Fernando top-qual from maybe 2-3 years ago), good condition but weapons and shields painted but never glued on yet, exactly 50 mounted, not based yet after all this time so doubt they will ever be used (Old Glory)

4. 15mm Late Imperial / Patrician Romans, great paint job (painted armies .com from about 10 years ago), good condition, see list in reply posting below, WRG-based, only ever played in DBM doubt they will ever be used anymore - shame (Essex)

5. 15mm Wallachians/Moldavians, great paint job (painted armies .com from about 5 years ago), good condition, about 125 mounted and 100 foot, WRG-based, use sometimes so not sure 100% about selling these yet but leaning that way (Essex)

6. 15mm Anglo-Irish, painted armies .com currently in works (do not even have the army yet but should by Cold Wars, maybe) IIRC about 50 mounted and 200 foot WRG-based (Essex)

7. Bunch o' 15mm medievals, 20-30 stands of longbowmen, 20 or so stands of knights, 20 or so stands of LI, 10 or so stands of LC, varying paint jobs, satisfactory to fairly good, these are cobbled together from all kinds of places

Will follow in a week or so, as time permits, with pricing. Should be good deals, thinking along the lines $1.50/foot for the 15s. But want to sell, except maybe the 15mm medievals, as armies.

If I have time I will try to put up pictures and provide a hyperlink here to a webpage somewhere which hosts the images. Hey, just realized my avatar image on this BB is the Moldavian 15mm CinC unit with the baggage tent in the background. Crummy res but it would otherwise give an idea of a typical PA.com paint job.

If you are interested post a note and I will try to get some more specific listings of what you are interested in. Might also list them on the NoVa ancients page we'll see.

Last edited by John Murphy on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject:

I should note I also have a _slew_ of miniatures gaming books etc I can part with - old copies of rule sets, osprey books... keeping the "dry history" stuff though.

Plus I have a boardgame collection I am looking to mostly sell off dating from the 70's-80's-90's. Probably 150 or so titles, maybe two-thirds unpunched.

Not sure if anyone here is interested, or if allowed to even mention that on this forum - kind of OT but tangentially related?
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Since I went and worked it up, here is a break down of the Late Imperial/Patrician Romans:

3E (6 figs) generals as open-order mounted (each has a vexilia bearer figure as well as a general figure)
24E (96 figs) Frankish irregular close-order unarmored foot
16E (48 figs) Ostrogoth irregular loose-order (at most lightly armored) mounted
4E (4 models + 8 foot figures) Roman artillery light bolt shooters
12E (24 figs) "former-Hun" regular (painted as 4x3E Roman units) open-order mounted
10E (40 figs) Roman Auxilia regular (painted as 5x2E units) loose-order unarmored foot
12E (24 figs) Roman Auxilia regular (identical) open-order light foot

The total is then 168 foot and 78 mounted plus 4 artillery models. Price would be somewhere between $375 ($1.50/foot) and $500 ($2.00/foot) for this army, still need to decide. These are probably going to be priced higher than medievals because they did a nice job with all the shields etc plus they are in good condition - and the paint job is overall one of my better 15mm armies. I am also throwing in the painted Essex ditch-and-caltrop fort I have that goes with them as well as the 6 or 8 baggage elements I have for them (tents).

All figures are Essex 15mm. The "former Huns" are actually done using Maurikian Byzantine kavallarioi figures (lance and bow with small round shields).

Painted by PaintedArmies.com about 10 years ago.

All Roman foot or former-Hun mounted (regular) shield designs are from the Notitia Dignitatum.

The Roman open-order Auxilia are unsheilded archers and could be distributed as rear-rankers to the loose-order Roman Auxilia or could be seperate.

All are on thin metal bases flocked very lightly in a Geo-Hex green. They come with thick stiff cardboard boxes to hold them that have magnetic sheet.

Like I said this was used maybe 20 times as my DBM Patrician Roman army for around five years, but has not been out of the box since the last time I played DBM maybe five years ago so while it is a nice army to look at on the shelf it is hardly worth hanging on to anymore for what I think I can get for it.

There are two nibbles for them of at least some interest, so they may not be available long, but here are the details anyhow.

Last edited by John Murphy on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
kevinrounsaville
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject:

I would be interested in any 15mm unpainted medieval
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject:

sorry no unpainted 15mm. the medieval 15s are all painted albeit a grab bag kind of. and my unpainted 25mm stuff is hardly worth selling.

possibly if there is no interest in the Old Glory 25mm Fernando top-qual Moldavians (50 LC figs btw) I will get him to paint the rest and make a 25mm Moldavian army which could morph into Polish or Lithuanian by subbing Poles for the Boyars (both figs look very good as do the LC, and a shame not to build this - but again all it is going to do is sit on my shelf as nobody is around in hillbilly country to play against).
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Hi John -

- I would be interested, potentially, in #s 2, 5, 6 and 7. Possibly #4 but more likely only in parts of it and not enough to justify the whole army.

I would also be interested in boardgames.

So - maybe send me a few pics, and a list of boardgames, if you like?

ewan.mcnay@yale.edu
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject:

15mm Patrician Romans are sold.

I am hanging on to the Moldavians in both 15mm and 25mm scales, for now, maybe sell them at Historicon if I change my mind later, which is possible.

The 25mm WotR I will bring to COld Wars and you can see them there if you will be at Cold Wars. They will be sold as an army.

The 15mm Anglo-Irish I do not have in hand yet and _supposedly_ were supposed to be picked up by me at Cold Wars (I think they may be short a few elements but I should have _something_ if not the whole army by Sunday anyway). Whatever I get, they will be sold as the entire army sans anything not completed.

The 15mm medievals I am selling in small groups of similar figures, the way they were collected. I will have them at Cold Wars also.

There has been suprisingly no interest in the 25mm Normans at this point so I may or may not go to the trouble of bringing them. They are also being sold as an entire set.
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject:

boardgames is too much for me to deal with organizing at the moment. maybe Historicon. possibly, there might be some with me at CW, but doubt it at this point.

I do know there is a unpunched Campaign for North Africa "Lust in the Dust". goes for a bunch usually on ebay (I paid a ton). If someone wants to offer for that it might be worth bringing with me to CW, otherwise the other items are lower value just because they are more common or less notorious.

So figure Historicon for the boardgames.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject:

You're not hanging it up are you John?

Todd K

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject:

OK, John, I'll look forward to seeing things in Lancaster. I'll be there from Fri a.m., so any time.
AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject:

John- How much are you looking to get for the Normans? I am NOT going to CW, but do plan to be at H-Con this summer. If you don't sell the Normans at CW, let me know how much you want for the Normans.
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Todd Kaeser"]You're not hanging it up are you John?

Todd K[/quote]

Hard to hang up something I hardly do anyway (perspective: probably less than 100 games since Warrior came out in, what, 2001?, despite being 'active'). Guess that about sums it up. But, short answer is no, playing Warrior doubles at CW, looking seriously at FoG though too. But who am I kidding, same basic prob wrt living in the boonies. Never get enough games (even when I have time) to actually be decent at this or even get know all the rules. Too many tourneys and not enough chances to just drop by somewhere close to me (in banjo country) and play a historical matchup or something, for my taste.

Also trying to do some 6mm Horse and Musket stuff that really has my interest going for now.

And really, really, really need the cash.

Anyhow "short answer being no" is why I am keeping the 15mm/25mm Moldavians until least Historicon, just in case.
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject:

[quote="AntiokosIII"]John- How much are you looking to get for the Normans? I am NOT going to CW, but do plan to be at H-Con this summer. If you don't sell the Normans at CW, let me know how much you want for the Normans.[/quote]

Normans... 25mm Old Glory's cost about $2/mounted and $0.60/foot fresh out of the bag nowdays, maybe 3/4 of that 15 years ago when these were painted. My bud Steve at the time who painted them for me charged me at substantial discount $2/foot and $5/mounted, if I recall.

They are done fairly well, shield decals. I had them based individually with mag bottoms so I could use them for skirmish gaming but on the size that would fit exactly onto metal sub-bases for playing anything WRG-based - and I have done that even at Lancaster no prob (even got oohs and ahhs from folks) - they fit well. Basing is done with nice heavy spackle paste.

After I got them there were one or two posed as rearing up I made the mistake of clipping off the supporting flash. I think one survived albeit weak, the other broke at the horse ankles on its way to Lancaster one year. But that was only a couple out the whole batch - I learned, and the rest of the figs are a more friendly pose anyhow.

How about if I start by asking $3/foot and $6 mounted for the whole set, since they are not per se based as elements for WRG until you put steel bases underneath. We can negotiate if you like between now and Historicon.

About 30 figs of Irr LMI bare-headed archers (LI if you put two instead of three on a 60mm base but this might look odd with exposed metal compared to the look they have as LMI, unless you paint the metal but then will the magnet work?)
About 30 figs of Irr LHI spearmen with kite shields (honestly, forgot I had them when i first published the approx fig count for these - goes to show you why they are being sold - nice though)
About 110 figs of Irr HC lancers with kite shields

(figure count might be off by one or two, I was real quick just now)

60x3 + 110x6 is about $840, so call it $700 to knock a bit more off the price (think that actually works out to about $5/mounted) - personally I think that is _great deal_ for painted 25's as nice as they look (I think you, or someone, would pay that much for real junk 25's painted). But... hey, they may as well go they have been used gotta be less than 10 games in maybe 2 tournaments ever in 15 years. That kind of says it all doesn't it!

Last edited by John Murphy on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
John Murphy
Legate
Legate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Ewan McNay"]OK, John, I'll look forward to seeing things in Lancaster. I'll be there from Fri a.m., so any time.[/quote]

Hope to be up there Thursday evening.

Original plan was Flea Market Friday afternoon and Sunday morning with some really great demo games I had listed out to play the rest of the time. Now as the idea grew on me (it always does) I will be playing Warrior doubles Saturday instead - my favorite tourney to play in because I get to blame my team-mate for all my tactical errors! Wohoo! (just a fun social event anyhow)
AntiokosIII
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a reasonable price. Is it possible to get photos? At any rate don't hold 'em on my account, by all means try and move 'em at CW, but if you're still stuck with 'em at Hcon, maybe we can make a deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Buy, Sell, Trade All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: