Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Byzantines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinrounsaville
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Byzantines

I have just recently picked up the startings of a Byzantine army, and the Holy warrior lists. Looking over it all I am leaning toward the Komnenan Byzantines Middle period. What, if any, suggestions are out there as to army composition. It is a rather daunting list with all of the options. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Komnenan

You want armored lancers...and a good skirmish screen...plus Varangians as Irr B LHI...and pretty much nothing else (probably some Reg LMI shooters.)

You want to use superior screening and skirmishing to defeat enemy lights and pin the parts of the heavier enemy troops you don't wish to fight.

You then direct your lancers and varangians to the part of the enemy army you do wish to fight.

Your opponent will attempt to stop you Wink...

Throw in some dense shooting as available and appropriate.

Frank
wargame692000
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject:

You might try the later period list if your figures can stretch to Knights. LHI varagians plus HKs are a nice hitting combination. A mix of reg LC, LI and double armed LMI skirmishers should allow you to find a place for the franks and varangians to do some damage.
Possibly the only downside with the list is that there are quite a number of minimums. One of them is MC. However there can be mixed with HKs and can make effective and cheap units.
Plus the history of this period is interesting.

Cheers
Paul Collins.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Kommenin

Yo
Having dappled with Byzantine for a while , I think Frank as usual has hit it on the head.
I have never played that list. I usually play the Nike Byz. But the few lists I have made fromit follow Franks lines.
Mark Stone had a very good evaluation of the Varangians a while ago.
Ed K
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure Mark Stone has opined on this, many times and at great length. It might be buried in the archives.

scott

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Varangians

Here's how you use the Varangians...which Mark has in fact written about:
They should be in 4 element units, starting in column. 2HCW,JLS,Sh 1st and 3rd ranks, JLS,Sh 2nd and 4th ranks.

Nikephoran should have one unit of SHC L,Sh (and is required to do so.)

Against the following targets send the Varangians in alone:
Elephants (support this attack with bowfire)

Against the following targets send the lancers in first, then the Varangians (who may expand at this point two elements wide to inflict maximal casualties):
Infantry who lancers readily defeat (Irr LMI JLS,Sh, etc.)

Against the following targets send the SHC in AND the Varangians in (SHC non-impetuous):
pikemen or similar (hoplites, etc.)

Frank
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: byzantines

Yo
thanks Frank . As always, you give clear instructions. I will do that with the SHC and the Varangians.
Beware everyone. Ed the uncertain. Is morphing into Ed the Rash.
Ed the morphing
chrisbump
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject:

Unless the lists have errata that I am not aware of, the Nike's are not required to take a unit of shc with L and shield. It is an option to replace some of your lanceers with them, but then you have to buy more lancers.

I am from the camp that your lancers should all be bow armed and the cats cannot be.

The cats are good against some infantry types but don't fare well and are a very poor point exchange if they have to mix it up with other armored lance armed cav.

Cats have a poor range of impact. If x rules are in affect your EHC L,B,Sh are a better buy because they can skirmish and hit with 5 figures at the same factors that the Cats bring only 6 figures for.

Cats cannot expand after a winning combat.
If Cats go impetuous they only get the +1 initially versus the other lancers getting the plus 2.

I know that there are proponents for their use and Ewan certainly uses them with his Sassanids, but with Byzantines it is alot of points for a strike unit that has minimal flexibility.

Chris
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: byzantines

Yo Chris
I like your evaluation of the SHC. I always thought I didn't get more out of them because I wasn't a strong player (which is true), but it is nice to know that it wasn't all Me. I am going to try what Frank mentioned about the SHC and Varangian.
The x rule about having EHC shirmish is very interesting. It really gives them an added importance. I had never played with it. I always found that since they couldn't skirmish I couldn't just move them out, because there was no way to bring them back.
thanks again for the insight.
Ed the Byzantinophile kollmer
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject:

chrisbump wrote:
Unless the lists have errata that I am not aware of, the Nike's are not required to take a unit of shc with L and shield. It is an option to replace some of your lanceers with them, but then you have to buy more lancers.

I am from the camp that your lancers should all be bow armed and the cats cannot be.

The cats are good against some infantry types but don't fare well and are a very poor point exchange if they have to mix it up with other armored lance armed cav.

Cats have a poor range of impact. If x rules are in affect your EHC L,B,Sh are a better buy because they can skirmish and hit with 5 figures at the same factors that the Cats bring only 6 figures for.

Cats cannot expand after a winning combat.
If Cats go impetuous they only get the +1 initially versus the other lancers getting the plus 2.

I know that there are proponents for their use and Ewan certainly uses them with his Sassanids, but with Byzantines it is alot of points for a strike unit that has minimal flexibility.

Chris

Everything Chris says above is true. I still think you absolutely have to take the SHC if you are playing Nikephoran Byzantines. The EHC are more cost-efficient, in most cases hit harder, and can use that extra 40p of movement to make it harder for vulnerable targets to skirmish away. However, there are very specific things the SHC do that make them worthwhile.

Warrior is all about combined arms, and as such you have to look not just at how a troop type performs in isolation, but how it performs in combination with other units.

Perfect example: The Byzantines have no single troop type that is going to win a straight up fight with Macedonian-classs phalangites. Neither the SHC nor the EHC can do this in a frontal impetuous charge, and while the Varangians fare better they are hampered by the fact that phalangites will now typically be charging them and thus getting extra ranks fighting.

All of this changes when you oppose phalangites with combinations of units. The SHC together with the Varagnians -- and only the SHC in combination with the Varangians -- can rerliably take down phalangites.

By reliably, I don't mean on even die rolls. I mean on unfavorable die rolls. Because you can't build a battle plan around rolling even when you need to. You have to build a battle plan around winning even against plausible unfavorable die rolls. To model this, I usually think through "what happens if I roll down 1 and my opponent rolls up 1?"

So we'll contrast two situations.

First:

* 1 unit of Rg A SHC L,Sh in a 1 wide, 2 deep formation charges nonimpetuously with
    * 1 unit of Irr B LHI 2HCW,JLS,Sh/JLS,Sh in a 1 wide, 4 deep formation against
    * 1 unit of Rg C MI P,Sh in a 4 wide, 2 deep formation

Second:

* 1 unit of Rg B EHC L,B,Sh including a general in a 1 wide, 2 deep formation charges impetuously with
    * 1 unit of Irr B LHI 2HCW,JLS,Sh/JLS,Sh in a 1 wide, 4 deep formation against
    * 1 unit of Rg C MI P,Sh in a 4 wide, 2 deep formation

Assume in both cases the Byzantines roll down 1 with all their units and the phalangites roll +1.

First:

* SHC are L vs. MI = 4 +1 (charging) -2 (facing pike) -1 (die roll) +1 (As cancelling one off a down roll) = 3. 6@3=15
    * LHI front rank are 2HC@ vs. MI = 5 +1 (JLS) +1 (charging) +2 (impetuous) -2 (facing pike) -1 (die roll) +1 (Bs cancelling one off a down roll) = 7. 3@7=18
    * LHI back rank are two less than front rank. 2@5=8.
    * Phalangites are P vs. SHC = 2 +1 (die roll) and P vs. LHI = 2 +1 (die roll), so 8@3=20 twice.
    * Byzantines put out a total of 41; pikes put out a total of 40.
    * The SHC recoil, tired, but not disordered.
    * The phalangites lost overall in a fight which included mounted who did not break or break off (the SHC merely recoiled), so must recoil disordered.
    * The LHI win and follow up, taking 2 (doubled to 4), but not 3, and hence are tired but not disordered.
    * Because the SHC are not disordered, on the next bound they charge in again, tired but fighting disordered foot, which is a 4 point swing in their favor (no -2 vs. pike and +2 for mounted vs. disordered foot). At the point the phalangites will be taking a waver for second cause of disorder every turn. If the LHI have a chance to expand and get a decent up roll, the phalangites will rout outright.

Second:

* EHC are L vs. MI = 4 +1 (charging) +2 (impetuous) -2 (facing pike) -1 (die roll) +1 (As cancelling one off a down roll) = 5. 5@5=20
    * LHI front rank are 2HC@ vs. MI = 5 +1 (JLS) +1 (charging) +2 (impetuous) -2 (facing pike) -1 (die roll) +1 (Bs cancelling one off a down roll) = 7. 3@7=18
    * LHI back rank are two less than front rank. 2@5=8.
    * Phalangites are P vs. EHC = 3 +1 (facing impetuous mounted charge +1 (die roll) = 5 and P vs. LHI = 2 +1 (die roll), so 8@5=32 and 8@3 = 20.
    * Byzantines put out a total of 46; pikes put out a total of 52.
    * The EHC recoil, tired and disordered.
    * The phalangites and LHI have both won overall, and so are locked. Neither is disordered, but the LHI are tired.
    * Because the EHC are disordered, on the next bound they must rally and cannot charge in again. This leaves the now-shieldless LHI going it alone against the phalangites, in a fight they will likely lose.

The upshot is that with the SHC and LHI in tandem I can take down a part of my opponent's line that he is likely assuming will be rock solid and hence has not screened off. Frankly, if he does screen off his pike then he is holding so little frontage that might light troops will expose a flank somewhere. Yes, the committment of SHC and LHI together is considerably more points than the phalangite unit, but I can then use less expensive light troops elsewhere to screen off more expensive pike and/or elephant units.

Given that the Varangians do quite well on their own against elephants, and given that this list also has decent dense shooting in the form of LMI B, I don't fear either pikes or elephants. Given that the SHC are pretty much invulnerable to shooting by bow or dart (as are the LHI), I've also got a good combination for challenging Romans or Meso-American armies.

None of this is true if I take the EHC instead of the SHC. I can no longer beat pikes. I can still beat elephants, but without a means of holding the pikes at bay that gains me little against solid combined arms play on the part of the pike-elephant player. The EHC aren't tough enough against either Romans or Meso-American armies.

In short, if I go with the EHC I'm now playing a bland, balanced army not terribly different from Ayyubid or Mameluke Egyptian, or Ottoman Turk, or a number of middle-Asian and Oriental armies. Not a bad army, but lacking a real "hammer" to turn it into a top performer. If I take the SHC instead of some of the EHC (and note I'll still have plenty of EHC), then I have the kind of punch that really puts this army into contention.

So: take the SHC.

-Mark Stone
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: byzantines

Yo Mark
Thanks for the break down
Now I know why I keep your evaluations.
Ed the avid learner Kollmer
kevinrounsaville
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject:

Thanks to you all I have an idea of what to do with this list now. I am excited about it, it is an interesting army and period.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: yup...

Nikephoran is probably the way to go if you want to exploit the skirmisher doctrine...and a very interesting list.

The main challenge is that there are many ways to 'miss-buy' the list.

Frank
kevinrounsaville
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject:

I'll post a first draft for you all to critique
chrisbump
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject:

We barely play around here any more, and I likely have this wrong, but Mark's suggestion that the Cats charge in concert with the Varangians as part of the Byzantine strategem.

is this legal?

I thought that infantry and cav could only charge the same target if both were impetuous.

If my recollection is correct then there is only two ways that the Cats are going in impetuous which will change the calculations for pike vs impet mounted and the +1 for the cats going impet. That aside, either the Cats are going to have to watch a general in line of command charge impetuously which requires more set up and of course the risk of a general or a General joins the Cats and declares the unit impetuouslly.

My recall of the list is that there is no possibility for a general being bought as part of a Cat unit. I could be wrong there too.

So, unless I have the rule wrong (quite possible) either the Cats are charging with a HC or EHC front (General's element) facing the pike or the Cats and Varangians are going to have to time their charge more closely to a General in line of command for the Cats also charging some appropriate target.

Also as Mark was making his calculations for the EHC battle, he neglected to add in the support fire from the charging EHC. this would only add 5 more hits at an even roll but now the damage out is 51 vs the pike 52.

In the case of the Cats charging impetuously (my assumption made on my recollection of the rules) the cats would put out 18 hits (3 @ 7) and the Pike would put out 24 (additional +1 for steady p vs impet mounted)
So the Pike puts out 44 and the Byzantines put out 44. A wash and the all of Marks points for follow up combat in the second phase vs the EHC scenario kick in.

Of course I could be wrong and the Cats might be able to charge, non impetuously, in concert with the Varangians.

If I am correct in my math and add to the fact that the EHC option is less expensive and more flexible, I would take the EHC option. Of further interest, the EHC option offers greater charge range which opens up possibilites for more flank charges.

Am I wrong in my recollection of the rules?

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: