Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pontic cavalry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goblin
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Pontic cavalry

Hi
I need advice for building Pontic cavalry with 15mm figurines. Any idea?

Emilio. Wink

Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Pontus was a Hellenistic kingdom on the Black Sea. Thus, any Alexandrian Successor period figures are useable, particulalry those with Asiatic/Persian/Bactrian style attributes. In 15mm, my preference is for Essex figures, followed by Xyston. I generally mix the two, as they are roughly the same size (usually ESSEX figs are a bit larger and the cav has better horses). Look at the Essex Seleucid and Hellenistic successor cavalry, if you are meaning to build Pontic as opposed to Bosporan, Iazyge, Bastarnae, Roxolani, or Cappadocian Cav. Any Seleucid light or heavy cav or successor cav would be good for this. Thracian, Bactrian, and Persian cav figures work well for the other more asiatic varieties. Also look at Maccabean cav figs. If I were you I would get as broad an assortment of hemets and gear as possible, use Hellenistic/Thracian/Successor/Macedonian officer figs, and build units by tunic color, helmet style, or whatever suits you.
goblin
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: essex bigger than xyston?

I donīt own any xyston figurines, but I always thought that xyston were very big...
Most of my figurines are essex, but I feel that for pontic cavalry I need something essex donīt do: raiders in persian style dress and helenistic armour. May be that I have a look at xyston

Emilio

goblin
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: essex bigger than xyston?

I donīt own any xyston figurines, but I always thought that xyston were very big...
Most of my figurines are essex, but I feel that for pontic cavalry I need something essex donīt do: raiders in persian style dress and helenistic armour. May be that I have a look at xyston

Emilio

Bill Chriss
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject:

No, actually essex are bigger, but not by much. They're essentially the same size, although essex horses tend to be more muscular.

Essex does make the kind of figures you're talking about. Check particularly their Bactrian Greek range. Again, Seleucid Cav should also work well. I'm not sure what you mean by Persian style dress and Greek armour. If you mean pants with cuiraisses, the Bactrians have that. Persain bodyguard or heavy cav might also work mixed in with the others. Also, in the Maccabean Jewish range they have "Extra Heavy Kappadokian Cavalry" that should be right up your alley, although they probably come with partially barded horses that you will want to exchange for unarmored ones. If you come to Historicon, you can browse the entire figure range with particular attention to the ones I have pointed out and then decide for yourself.

goblin
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: many thanks Bill

for your sugestions.

Emilio

Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Xyston vs Essex

Goblin,

I own a Xyston Hellenistic army painted by Dave Smith and it is my opinion that the Xyston figures are the new standard of 15mm lead. In my opinion the Xyston horses are far superior. Essex much like Minifigs from the '80's and '90's needs to come out with some new stuff rather than rely on their old lines (they really don't have the varied poses like Xyston does. Too bad Dave doesn't have his website up anymore or you could see what I'm talking about.

Kelly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: