Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

timurids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoke
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: timurids

i have been messing with timurids for some time but couldn't make it work. i finally decided that my problem was trying to use expensive elephants in an army in which everything was already expensive. while i miss out on 2 causes of unease from shc and elephants working together i think that the extra points used to cover frontage is more useful. also the combination of incendiary crossbowmen, handguns and every figure having some form of missile weapon makes this a formidable army. that being said i am sure as usual i have completely missed the boat somehow. please comment on this army so i can amend it- i am planning on purchasing figs for it relatvely soon. thanks

TIMURID
CINC REG A, EHC, L, SH + 1E REG A, EHC, L, B, SH 210
SUBGENERAL REG A, EHC, L, SH + 1E REG B, HC, L, B 125
LINE INFANTRY 6E, REG C, ½ LHI, ½ LMI, ½ 2HCW, ½ 1 HCW, ½ B, ½ CB, SH 144
HANDGUNNERS 2E REG C, LI, HG 22
MONGOL HORSE ARCHERS 2E REG B, LC, B, JLS, ½ SH 50
MONGOL SHC 2E REG B, SHC, L, B, ½ SH 154
MONGOL CAVALRY 2E REG B, HC, B, L, ½ SH 76
36 points of incendiaries-1 for each crossbowmen

1603 PTS IN 2 COMMANDS, S.P. 38

thanks

smoke
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Did you perform a search in here?

This is from Ewan's 2006 NICT list commentary:

Army Name Timurid—Ed Bernhart
1 CnC 2 RA EHC L,B,sh + PA 210 CinC
2 SG RA 1 SHC, 1 EHC L,B,sh+P 168 SG1
3 SG RA 1 SHC, 1 EHC L,B,sh+P 168 SG2
4 3 IC Ele 3 crew w/B, driver w/Jls 175
5 4 RC LMI 1/2 2HCW,1/2 1HCW,B,sh 90
6 4 RC LMI 1/2 2HCW,1/2 1HCW,B,sh 90
7 4 RC LMI 1/2 2HCW,1/2 1HCW,B,sh 90
8 4 RC LC B 58
9 4 RC LC B 58
10 2 RC LC B 34
11 2 RC LC B 34
12 2 RB HC L,B, 1/2 sh 82
13 2 RB HC L,B, 1/2 sh 82
14 12 ID MI B,1/2 sh + Camel Fire Cart 137
15 5 IC LI B 45
16 6 ID LI B 37
17 12 IE LMI IPW 43

***Hmm. I wanted (and want) to like this list, and there is probably a killer army in there *somewhere*, but I haven't found it yet. Which is too bad as it's one of the very few plausible morphs for my Sassanids. Still, I quite like this in outline. I think that the Timurid infantry are better taken as all 1HCW - the shieldlessness in second-and-ongoing rounds of combat is too painful to take the 2HCW, and it's not much better - and I might even spring for some armour. The big problem though is the LI: there are no decent LI on the list, and I think it's not worth taking the paltry LI B seen here, honestly. Either go for 3x2E Reg LI HG - purely as pickets - or forget about LI altogether, which you can do: decent LC, good missile power, good terrain troops. The SHC units are superb, the elephants OK, the MI bowmen amusing and cheap (although I would probably take two units, 10E and 8E, consider giving them stakes, and buy a second camel cart…), the LC/HC with Mongol rules very useful. Similarly to Tim's list above, this is I think a list that could have been significantly better optimised. Hostages are cheap but useless; I guess you could combine these with the LI handgunners as a force-march force, but I'm not convinced that they have any useful role to play; far more likely to be shepherded back towards your own lines in rout. As is, score 6.5 - it's pretty decent, still, but could be a lot better. I think I've said that before.

There's also another thread on Timurids:

http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16528

While the first and last posts on this were deleted by the author, Mark Stone lists the list in his response and provides some general commentary.

scott

smoke
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject:

i absolutely had read that nict list evaluation but had built my version quite differently and was therefore interested in opinions on my list and not on a different list from 3 years ago. but thanks.
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

My point is that in those two threads, there was some commentary that is applicable to your list, ie, the use of 2HCW vs 1HCW. Moreover, in Ewan's commentary, he talks about the LI HG, which again, has some applicability in your list. The same goes for the SHC. He calls it "superb" and your list has just 1 unit, and not as part of a general. That's a double blow in that it's hard enough to go impetuous with SHC cuz of the charge distance disparity between it and every other non-EL mounted shock troop in the game plus it's Reg.

Next question is which scale? With armies like this, I believe scale really dictates how you purchase the list. This one strikes me as more 15mm in nature.

scott

smoke
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject:

sorry, i did not mean to sound cranky -working too much lately. i do appreciate the input and the references. i did play the army that i posted against seleucids. learned much and have redone it somewhat. did find the handgunners very useful to add to all the bowfire to cause waver checks. i actually will probably play without the shc in the future as it is hard to line up in the right match up and so expensive that yuo can't afford to lose it. without it you get i got 2 extra mongol lancers. opponent felt it was a scary army to play as it really fights where it wants to and is difficult to outmaneuver. in fact he essentially hid in the brush until i finally got disgusted and went to get him. int he scrum i failed a 1/6 waver check and had some problems. overall i loved the army and will definitely purchase the figs and play again

thanks

bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: