Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mongils

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aubrey Hopkins
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Mongils

I wrote recently asking for any and all input from any and all sources and contributors re: AHA (Asiatic Horse Archer) Armies, comprehensive (all variants regular and irregular). As I look through the forum's "archives" I have looked at Mr. Gilson's (Oct 07) Mongols. I am new to Warrior so, I may be asking the obvious but; my book says that Chinese troops may not be combined within the OB of a Mongol list if a Turkish sub-G is present.

My son is possibly interested in fielding/playing a competition list for this raving collection of misanthropes from our not so distant past and this variant does seem quite thoughtful.

Legal ??
Errata??

Es ist Ja, oder nicht ??

Cheers,
Hop
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Mongils

Yo
Me again, the not so knowledgeable one. But is your question really asking
"Can I have Chinese with Turkish troops or is it just that I cannot have them if those Turkish troops have a sub-gen?

Ed the confused one
Aubrey Hopkins
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject:

Well ??,
I intend to/think I am asking about what is allowed the Mongols if there is a Turkish Sub-G represented. I am trying to get to the basics re: Warrior list writing. The Mongols list says that if any Reg Turkish then no Turkish Sub-G and, then no more than 8 Irreg Turkish and no Chinese.

The Mongol list I was considering all or in part has both a Turkish Sub-G and a Chinese Sub-G. The narrative for the list seems to preclude this combination ??
Thanks for any clarity forwarded.
Cheers,
Hop
Kelly Wilkinson
Dictator
Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Mongols

Aubrey,

I've seen Mongols do very well when they went with lots of HC and the dismounts that go with them and some LC. As far as the LC go, you may have to forgoe the shields as these are very cost prohibitive for cav types. If you want to be able to take advantage of your list rules, wasting points on extra foot (chinese)doen't help and Irreg cav can really be hard to run considering that one needs to think 2 or 3 turns ahead tactically. If you want Chinese and Mongols, consider Ming, they have better morale for the Chinese in general (I think) awesome options. I believe Scott McDonald has a list(Mongols) that he runs very effectively this way. I know he has taken down a lot of very good players with it. Just a thought. Unfortunately, it really is hard to simulate mongol hordes with points based rule sets. That can only be done in your basement or in set piece battles. Now if your into playing a mongol army with more punch, consider Ilkahnid(I think you can get some HK) or Timurid. As far as the Timurid go, I wouldn't use the elephants as they are way too expensive and the SHC is too slow and just can't be used in rough terrain. They get some super cheap Irreg D archers that can have stakes(if you run the numbers, they can whoop moogs when they hide behind their stakes). And they can have some very interesting Timurid infantry with bows and interesting weapon options as well as armor. The only thing is you don't get all of the Mongol rules. Just remember that due to a limited table size and expense of Reg LC, you will never be able to exploit your mobility and too much LC will limit your crunch power. Just my two cents.
Laughing
Kelly Wilkinson
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Chinese on the Mongol list

I take the Chinese sub and foot on the Mongol list because they are the ONLY troops at all on that list that can contest/occupy/etc. terrain. Y.our opponent, even with your list rules, will have at least one woods or steep hill.

Also, those cheap Chinese infantry take up more space for less points than any Mongols, and contribute some very cheap dense shooting. Finally, they add a few extra units to your unit total very cheaply too.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: