Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacific Northwest Warrior

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Opponents Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Pacific Northwest Warrior

Since Frank Gilson moved back to SoCal, I've been trying to figure out what to do about Warrior opponents in the Seattle-Tacoma area. I must say, I'm pretty depressed by the prospects.

There's not a lack of gamers, or even miniatures players, overall. Seattle is a pretty solid gaming town. But there are very few people interested in Ancients as a period, and none of those I've run across are interested in tournament miniatures. There are tournament players in the area, but they all play either Flames of War or War Hammer. No interest in Ancients.

I could attempt to recruit some new players, but I find that prospect daunting. Given the time it would take me to recruit players, teach them various facets of the hobby, account for suitable attrition as people lose interest/patience or move on to other things, I figure it's probably a 3 year project to create a group that would yield at least one decent "sparring partner". It might take longer, and I might fail altogether.

If I bailed on Historicon next year, and focused on just Cold Wars, I could probably take the money Historicon would have cost me and attend two or three conventions in the Midwest or West. How active is the tournament scene in the Midwest these days? That might be my best bet.

If I had several regular tournament gigs to look forward to, I'd be a lot more motivated to invest the time and energy in local recruitment of new players.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject:

I've been wondering whether anyone else was going to jump in here.

I suspect the fact that no-one from the Midwest has done so is answer enough; certainly my impression, strongest at H'Con but consistent elsewhere is that the scene once centred on Kansas City and environs has largely faded. Which is very sad, as that was one of the bright spot for a time; those gamers still seem to be active, but largely in e.g Flames of War.

The long-term successful efforts at building groups that I've seen are all East coast: the NorthEast centred on Bill Low and (more intermittently) Jacob Kovel, Derek's Jacksonvile (sic Smile ) gang, and the DC/VA group fostered by Eric Turner and Tm Grimmett. Lots of action (at least relatively) out here; and no hotel costs either...

...as noted, though, the real answer is relocation to midstate NY.
D PIPER
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject:

Hey Mark,

I am going to be in the Kent area from August 10th to the 14th and free during the nights. I would be interested in getting a game in if you are free. Email me at NILREM67@YAHOO.COM.

Thanks,

Darin
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject:

D PIPER wrote:
Hey Mark,

I am going to be in the Kent area from August 10th to the 14th and free during the nights. I would be interested in getting a game in if you are free. Email me at NILREM67@YAHOO.COM.

Thanks,

Darin

Sounds great, Darin. I'll email you and we can figure something out.
Terry D
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Hey Mark,
Fencing again will have me up in Seattle in mid May. If you have time and space I would like some theme practice for Hcon
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject:

Terry,

I would love to get in some practice. Send me email at mark.stone at gmail.com and we'll set something up.
Terry D
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: How about Oct 2 or 3

Hey Mark I will again be in Seattle the first weekend of Oct so I can come up early friday for a friday night game or saturday night if you want
Terry
DBBeatty
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject:

Hey Mark,

I live down in Portland but would love to get together for some Warrior from time to time.

Give a shout at banzai_beagle@yahoo.com

Dave Beatty

DBBeatty
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject:

xx

Last edited by DBBeatty on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
DBBeatty
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject:

Hey Mark,

I live in Oregon but would love to get together for some Warrior.

Give a shout at banzai_beagle at yahoo.com

Dave Beatty

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject:

DBBeatty wrote:
Hey Mark,

I live in Oregon but would love to get together for some Warrior.

Give a shout at banzai_beagle at yahoo.com

Dave Beatty

Dave,

That would be great. I live outside of Tacoma, so less than 3 hours away. I'll ping your yahoo email and let's see what we can schedule. You can also email me directly at mark.stone@gmail.com.

Oh, and you might consider coming up our way for Enfilade. Good all around gaming convention, and we could probably get in a game or two of Warrior (https://sites.google.com/site/enfilade2013/).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Opponents Wanted All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: