Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historicon 2010 Results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Historicon 2010 Results

NICT
1) Rob Turnball, Seleucid, 46
2) Greg Hauser, Sultinate of Delhi, 43.6
3) Chris Richardson, L Carthaginian, 35.8
4) Jake Kovel, E Polish, 35.3
5) Derek Downs, Italian Ostrogothic, 33.6
6) Dave Markowitz, Ming Chinese, 32.6
7) Sean Scott, Italian Condotta, 30.3
8) Scott McDonald, Mongol, 29.5
9) Rich Kroupa, Khmer, 21.9
10) Dick Hurchanik, Middle Imperial Roman, 19.3
11) Dennis Shorthouse, Alexandrian Imperial, 8
12) Todd Kaeser, Tepanec, 4
Rick Parrish, Bithynian, 4
14) Bill Low, L Carthaginian, 3

25mm Theme (Terror From the Steppes)
1) Derek Downs, Khitan Liao, 28
2) Dave Markowitz, Kushan, 21.5
3) Fred Stratton, Kushan, 13.2
4) Rich Kroupa, Xianbei, 12.3
5) Greg Hauser, Kwarishmian, 11.2
6) Bill Low, Uighur Turk, 10.5
7) Scott Holder, Uighur Turk, 10
8) Dick Hurchanik, Xianbei, 9.8

15mm Theme (Terror From the Steppes)
1) Terry Dix, Kushan, 13.2
2) Rob Turnball, Mongol, 11.4
3) Kelly Wilkinson, Timurid, 5.2
4) Dave Dietrich, Skythian, 5.1

25mm Open
1) Tim Brown, Arab Conquest, 23.5
2) Todd Kaeser, Tepanec, 17.9
3) Bill Low, Low Countries, 14.6
4) Jevon Garrett, Berber, 13.4
5) Rick Parrish, Bithynian, 12.5
6) Ed Bernhart, Later Teutonic Knights, 10
7) Jim Bisigani, L. Achaemenid Persian, 7.5
8) Rob Richardson, Late Imperial Roman, 7

15mm Open
1) Dave Dietrich, Galatian, 10
2) Scott McCoppin, Indian, 7
3) Kelly Wilkinson, Hohenstaufen Sicilian, 5
4) Matt McCoppin, Gallic, 2

Mini
1) Jevon Garrett, Ptolemaic, 9.4
2) Dave Dietrich, Galatian, 7.7
3) Terry Dix, Kushan, 6.9
4) Matt McCoppin, Gallic, 6.3
5) Rob Richardson, L Hoplite Greek, 5.5
6) Kelly Wilkinson, Hohenstaufen Sicilian, 5.3
7) Mike Byrne, L Carthaginian, 4.5
8) Scott McCoppin, Indian, 3.1

Best Camp: Bill Low

Sportsman: Rob Richardson

Sportsman Nominees: Jim Bisigani, Rich Kroupa, Todd Kaeser, Sean Scott, Chris Richardson, Rob Richardson, Jevon Garrett, Dave Dietrich, Matt McCoppin

I'll have some personal commentary later this week in this thread. I'd love to see some thoughts and comments by those attending.

scott

scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Commentary

From my myopic perspective, this was the easiest, lowest-stress Hcon I can remember. My table management duties were light and my umping skills weren't taxed much. My playing stunk but that too was very enjoyable.

The "new" place at Valley Forge was just fine. Tons, and I mean tons, of space. Our table count was the same as it always was but we had these huge avenues between tables. Attendance overall in most systems was either flat or down which meant we had plenty of tables which contributed, I think, to the casual atomosphere.

Note the 1-2 results in the NICT. One thing the results don't reflect is the fact Greg beat Rob 5-2 in the first round. As Greg put it "Thursday's results don't matter". Greg was in the driver's seat going into Round 4 on Saturday having beat Derek 5-3 in Round 3. Alas, he and Dave M played to a 2-2 tie while Rob was moving back up. Rob and Derek met in Round 5 and Rob, er, um, spanked Derek 5-0 which vaulted him into 1st place.

Rob promised to polish the helmet on the trophy which had gotten decidely rusty under the keepership of our last two slacker NICT winners.

Greg donated a prize as well: he's painting an element and getting the figures. Anybody who's seen Greg's work knows he's an incredible painter so Rob's getting something cool.

My three rounds in the Theme were lackluster but I had a great time. The "highlight" was in Round 2 playing Rich Kroupa. 2nd bound, 1st combat of the game consisted of a crapload of cav charges on my left flank (who says Warrior games take forever to engage?). His EHC CinC of all units was hitting one of my Uighur Turk EHC units. A pure die rolling exercise.

Rich rolls a catastrophe. CinC dies on bound 2! Woo hoo! And look at all those units clustered around him! Rich then calmly proceeds to roll 11 waver tests and passes em all! We interpreted that to mean the units in question knew the CinC was a shmuck and felt the army better served with him being trampled under hoof. Rich and I played to a 3-3 tie, something like 800 pts to 500 pts killed.

Derek brought Khitans but it was in essence a Chinese army. As usual, I compose a theme where one army, if bought "correctly" throws everything out of kilter. Ah, but next year, Derek's promised to actually scrub the theme armies. If anybody can find the unbalancing list and suggest mitigating corrections, it's him. He's also, half-seriously, promised to ump it!

Rules wise, a pretty low key weekend. There's still some confusion about who can go into skirmish but once I settled on how to deal with that, everything went fine. One of the few odd things that came up was what happens to a general when the artillery unit he has joined (in order to direct fire) is destroyed? I said the general was destroyed as well. My rationale was if the unit was something else that had routed, the general would rout as well.

There were a couple of other things worth mentioning about rulings but they escape me now. Typical.

Overall, very nice. Parking was a breeze and those of us staying offsite really didn't find that to be a hassle. Hopefully more of you stalwarts can make it out next year. Remember, the date next year is *still* the week after July 4th. That seems to be the primary reason people didn't come this year and that extended to other rule sets (I talked with the main coordinators).

scott

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Historicon 2010

Firstly Greg outplayed me totally on Thursday - but the last day clearly makes the biggest difference (lucky for me).
I had a ball this year, for a number of reasons, only had one rules disagreement - and we sorted it out
Enjoyed every game - even losing to Greg - which is my definition of a good weekend
Proved that lucky is better than good - i had three other games where I could have lost - Mongols - both pushing for a win - I rout his CinC with an up two on the last turn
Todd Kaeser - I charge elephants into his spearmen - he rolls two ones for wavers (they are Reg A)
Rich Kroupa - I roll up to destroy a elephant unit, and up in another combat to stay in the combat for two more turns - reg troops are not supposed to roll up 2 and up three
The only game where there was no doubt was the last and I had to make a crucial counter to get there. Normally Derek has my number - but for once a plan worked and the army just rolled.
Have the lists been posted anywhere? I would like to see list critiques
Thanks to Scott and everyone else - looking forward to another fun event next year.
Robert
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Congrats, Rob. And also Greg, who has played the later Indian armies at top level for a long time now, and knows them better than anyone. Very interesting mix of armies there - Scott, when do we get to see the lists? I can jump back into commentary if there's any interest Smile and will likely do so anyway. Ostrogothic? Wow Smile.
Rickster61
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Rules question from the NICT

Scott,

Please let everyone know about the ruling of elephants being able to advance more than 40 paces through the scrub. Since I've been on the losing side of that ruling in two tournaments (two different umps, of course) it would be good to have some clarification on this issue. Also, if you will, please extend this to cataphracts. Thank you.

Rick Parrish
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject:

I'll need to refresh my memory on that one with the rule book in front of me AND I won't be dumping it here where it won't be obvious.

Another little story from Hcon. Tim Brown has his Arab Conquest army in 25mm and to show camel-mounted (dismounted) infantry, he had these cool single camels that were sitting down. He'd have them on an individual base with different colors of the blankets. Cool I think. They're color-coded to help with unit ID and it's a nice little touch. Since I've gotten quite enamored with the Uighur Turk list and have mucked around with various lists, I saw those camels and said "I need these".

So, I ask Tim and he says "they're from Ral Partha." So, off I run to the Iron Wind booth downstairs. I pore thru the catalogue 3 times, no camels.

I trot back upstairs to Tim's table. He's playing Jim Bisigani. I tell Tim Iron Wind doesn't have em, perhaps they're not made anymore. Jim hears this and says "oh, there's guy in Indiana who sells Partha colonials. Those camels might be from that line."

I then fire up the laptop to take advantage of the wonderful wifi signal there in the main room and off to the internetzes I went! Sure enough, 3 minutes later I find this:

http://www.greatendeavours.co.uk/colonials/unit.php?unit=30

You can order the dismounted packs that come with some guy firing a gun and the dismounted camels. I placed an order for two packs right there!

All because one gamer had something cool and another gamer knew where to get it.

scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: