Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is anyone playing warrior out there?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Warrior Playtest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ted greenspan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: is anyone playing warrior out there?

howdy folks,

long time advocate of warrior here, and i am concerned. i do not like the other ancient rules sets..dba,dbm,fog,etc..too much dice rolling for me.
so i play warrior..it rewards the better player on average, in my opinion..tho luck can still bring an unusual/unwarranted win..but hey who doesnt like a plus 3 roll once in a while.

i do not sense any enthusiasm in the "warrior" world anymore. look at this site..no posts for MONTHS. there are no warrior sponsored tournaments in my area..or even close by. i do not see 4 horsemen out there promoting the rules.except the biggest conventions and in areas that warrior is already strong..ne and midwest as i understand it..i am at a loss.not trying to badmouth 4horses but motivate them.

dont get me wrong..i will still stand by warrior and my little club still plays regularly and we try to bring in new players as we can.(i think jake sold a set of warrior to one of my new gamers recently)

aside from derek downs..in fla..i dont know of a southern club that plays warrior,,and i am not sure about derek anymore,,)

i would like to see a resurgence of warrior and want to use this posting for any ideas that may be out there. what say you loyalists of warrior..are you game

ted
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: who is playing Warrior

Yo Ted
I hear what you say, but unfortunately, I am probably one of those who have trouble getting to the Warrior events.
But hope reigns eternal Do not give up. I just keep trying to get to the events.
Someday , You and I will meet across the table and be the best of enemies.
Ed the Hopeful Kollmer
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject:

We've always had to rely on players to do what you're asking. Local alpha gamers dragging people along as it were. I have to drive 2 hours to play Warrior so it's a challenge. The few local gamers are not interested, period. They like simple and lotsa dice. Good for them but I'll make no inroads there.

Derek's group is still very active. As is the Northern VA folks, as are the New England folks. Nobody wishes more people were playing than me but I'll be the first to admit that much of the hobby is a zero sum game these days so if people have passed on Warrior the first time around, it's hard to get them to give it a second look.

We continue to work on list revisions and are working hard (back East, I know) on terrain upgrades. I spent an entire weekend in September doing up terrain so that for next year back East, we'll have pretty decent terrain.

I don't have any answers to this dilemna.

scott

derekcus
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Warrior

Derekcon 61

Warrior
1200 points
November 20th, 2011
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject:

I assume that you mean 2010, right? Smile

In which case it's already gone... which kinda makes the original poster's point.

Relying on this forum is leading to rapid extinction of the game, sadly. We need 'push' not 'pull' especially when the pull is so weak.
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject:

I am new to warrior. I really like a lot the things that the game does. It represents a lot of facets of ancient battles.

As I was playing I found myself liking a lot of the mechanics.

But here's the catch, I've played three games in eight months. Even with the rule book on my desk I constantly forget all of the rules and subtle nuances.

So as a player I am constantly making poor choices because I am not aware of these nuances.

Warrior is a huge commitment to master and it is not novice friendly like other war games out there.

That's the trade, extreme detail and accuracy vs. huge time/brainpower investment which can chase off a lot of casual gamers.

I'm all for pitching in and keeping this game community going strong.

Our little group in Western Mass has just begun an ancients campaign based on the warrior system. Here's hoping we can draw in a few more players and build a community so it's not 4 months between games.

http://ancientscampaign.yolasite.com/

P.S. anyone want to give me advice about running my Marian Romans? I got my ass handed to me by the Aztecs last night.
scott holder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Relatively speaking, you're in a good area, lotsa Warrior players around you. It's really a question of coordinating and contacting people there about setting up games.

Hopefully some of them will respond (that's a hint guys).

scott

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Warrior future

where in Western Mass?
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject:

We're located in Pittsfield, but we have gamers from Great Barrington, Lee, and in Northern CT.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject:

yes Matt K is running a campaign
I am Sparta
Soon these newbies will see the wrath of Sparta Cool
Leonidas and the 300 will soon subjugate all of MatthewLand.
Check the site that Trajan gave you

Oh Robert, If I had enough Carthaginians I would run them.

Ed the Spartiate Kollmer
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject:

Leonidas,

that is a lot of trash talk from the country isolated from all the action. How very Spartan of you.

If you want the lands of Rome (AKA MatthewLand South) I have a Spartan quote for you.

Μολὼν λαβέ Twisted Evil

Gaius Marius
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject:

Aaahhh. A true adversary.
It pleases us that Gaius knows Greek. His people will soon have to learn it since it will be the new language of his empire. Razz

Spartans do not deal in trash talk but truth talk Laughing

Leonidas Cool
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject:

I am jealous - but occasional business trips do not justify playing in a campaign
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Ahh If you can play. Together we could sweep the land and make Matthewland our own and make those Greek speaking Romans our servants.
Very Happy
EdK
Dwyight
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Warrior Popularity

In answer to your post, I think that it is a marketing problem. Hobbies thrive on 'new blood'. There is not an apparent drive to analyze / use factors that target new players. This can begin with a deetermination of target and a SWOT analysis of marketing factors. Perhaps, the market is persons who once gamed (WRG or Warrior) and the potential market new players.

In addition to target marketing, some thought might be given to messaging and image.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Warrior Playtest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: