Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warrior Day in the Berkshires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Warrior Day in the Berkshires

A Warrior Event will take place in Berkshire County of MA
Place: St.Mary's School Gym, Orchard St. Lee MA
Time: June 11,2011, Saturday 9am - 5pm
25mm, pre-set Terrain
3 rounds: rounds 1 and 2 will be 1250pts (some learning for new players)
round 3 : 1600pts (no holds barred)
Pre H-Con warmup.

For further info.
Email me: ejkollmer@yahoo.com

Ed Kollmer
Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: I like it

I like the concept of 2 short and one long rounds.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Berkshire Warrior Day

A reminder that there is one week to go before the Event of the Year.
Warrior Day.
See the above info.
Come one and All
Ed Kollmer
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Please post some event write up for those who cannot make it

Hope you have a good turnout
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I'll definitely be there!
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Got my 3 armies built.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Berkshire Warrior Day

Well the day is over. I might be prejudice but I felt it went well.
Seven victim...I mean.....opponents showed up. One who really never played warrior. But it was supposed to be a learning day also.
Ewan might have the standing; Jump in here Ewan with whatever you need to do.
List is order of appearance:
Ed Kollmer- Later Hoplite
Matt Kollmer- Feudal German
Ewan McNay- Byzantine than Sassanid
Bill Low- Byzantine
Dan Wyoke-Moldavina(Vlad the Impaler)
Gregg Siter(New Player) Byzantine
Matt Webster(New Player but this was his third game) Marian Roman

first round which was more of a learning round for Gregg and Matt W
Gregg played Dan W and Matt W played Bill L. Things looked like they were going well with them. Matt K and Ewan squared off. As usual the learning games took longer, and Matt K and Ewan finished with Ewan winning. Not sure of the score. So I(ED K) played Ewan . I learned a lot and Ewan explained some better tactics for me. Thanks Ewan. Still getting the rust off.
After that game we decided for the afternoon to do some team games.
Gregg/Ed vs Dan/Bill
MattW/MattK vs Ewan(Sassanids)
Dan/Bill won our game and Ewan won his.
I would like to have given more of a blow by blow account but I can't remember it all and I will leave it up to others to give more on their games.
We were appreciative to have Ted Feury give a guest appearance. He made the rounds of the games enlivening the conversations.
Thanks again to all. Especially, BillL. His advise and help was invaluable.
I had a GREAT TIME>
Ed the Byzantinophil Kollmer
Ps Scott H. I didn't run the Byzantine basically because I wanted Gregg to try the army out.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject:

Ed & Matt organised a really nice day: good venue, excellent tables, lots of space, good opponents. It was great to get back and actually play for the first time in more than a year.

Three battles: the first two with 1250 points of Nik Byz (which is a nice force if tiny; first time I had thought at all about the upcoming theme, and I think that there's going to be a very interesting set of armies and choices). Matt K's Feudal Germans would have had more luck if they had fought with knights instead of LMI CB Smile and even better if he had passed a single counter, but also had the bad luck to deploy their big LC unit in front of an LMI bow block; a HC Hungarian unit helped out by charging the bow frontally... they passed the waver but rolled -3 in hth while the HC rolled up, bursting through into some stationary SHC. That was the bad news; the good news was that they arrived exhausted! Second battle against Ed Kollmer's hoplites, who had a great table: three big woods across half the table for Gauls and Spanish, and an open wing to fill with LTS. Looked very tricky until Ed's sub was unreliable and went onto Wait orders... twice. Combined with two small LC flank marches, that immobilised half of Ed's army and meant that I could take otherwise suicidal risks in exposing cav flanks while picking on the one unit of peltasts in the open. On the far right, Ed's greek cavalry got trapped between two small Byzantine LC units, and pulled off the unusual feat of escaping rout by bursting through one of them, exhausting it (!) in the process.

Last game we played 2x1250 points per side, unrelated armies: so Matt's Germans picked up Marian Roman alllies, while the Nykophorians brought some Sassanid friends. This game was all about deployment: I won the coin-toss as my El faced Matt's K while my SHC and LC faced the Romans and their Gallic allies - much, much better than El against legions and SHC against SHK! Matt W's gallic LC got caught in a typical learning-player deplyment roblem of being shot up and unable to recall effectively because friends behind blocked them, which was rough for him. And Sassanids that get Varangian allies are just a brutal force anyway - that was probably just nasty on my part. Sorry guys Sad.

Many, many thanks to the Kollmers for organising, to Bill Low for bringing fabulous artisinal french beer, and to all for the cameraderie. We should do this again soon.
Matt Kollmer
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject:

Great Day!! I personally had a blast pushing the Feudal Germans and getting slaughtered.........but great people and a great beer!! Smile
Posted pics.......one in the "figures" section and the rest in the "tournament" section.
Till we cross swords again!
Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Routers bursting through?

Ed,
If I read your second round correctly, you implied that your routers succeeded in bursting through an enemy unit and thus avoided being destroyed, while exhausting the enemy unit in the process. I don’t have my book handy, but I believe that when routers burst through enemy, the enemy unit does not take any damage in the process. While this may not be “historically” accurate, I think it was written that way so that someone can never have an advantage by having a routing unit.

It sounds like a great contest. An opportunity to mix allies on the board would be fun. I think I’ll try that on our next go round.
P

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Phil -

- a unit charged by routers trying to escape "cannot recoil or break but may become disordered." The battle is handled as normal in terms of damage otherwise - so while my poor 4-man LC unit did not rout nor get destroyed (because no recoil forced), it did indeed get exhausted.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject:

Thanks Ewan.
In the battle I will try any technique to exhaust my enemy even if it is to have my routers bust through enemy Very Happy
Ed
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject:

Smile

There was an interesting tactical issue I noted to Ed in the central wood. He'd advanced some LI JLS, Sh ahead of his Irr LMI Spanish, intending to absorb javelin fire from my (regular) Varangians. Which worked, but meant that I was able to set things up so that I would charge the LI and continue my charge into the LMI rather than them being able to charge me impetuously; although they were only 45p away they could not see me because of the wood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: