Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making shield transfers at home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Making shield transfers at home

I was curious if anyone else was experimenting with making their own shield decals at home and how they were doing them. I recently made some greek and late roman shield decals and wanted to compare results if anyone else was trying this technique:

1. White or clear water slide decal transfer paper from Testor's. I found the paper at Hobby Lobby for about $10 for a pack of six sheets
2. Tried the decalmania software that was included in the pack from Testor's, but that was worthless. GIMP worked much better, the Oracle supplied with a link to download this open source program. Gnu Image Manipulation Program
3. 1000 x 600 pixels seemed the right size to print on the decal sheet
4. Applied three light coats of sealant to the paper after printing the images
5. Applied decals to Greek hoplite and late imperial legionairres, the decal worked well. The decal finish is a little glossy, but I can fix that with a light spray of matte sealer.

I'm curious now to find sources for chinese, Norman, and viking shield patterns as well.
Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: I tried that once.

Sounds like your method was better than mine. Instead of Decal Paper, I just used paper. It worked OK, but after 10 years, they are starting to peel.

Your sizing, 1000x600 pixels, is that per inch? or the whole screen?

The biggest problem I had was getting the sizes to match. A bit of trial and error, but in the end worth it. The print job is a lot better than m painting.
P

scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Ugh.

I found that white transfer paper keeps your colors. Clear transfer paper turned out to be worthless. Of course this means your physical shield backgrounds need to be white in order to blend the decal in better. I just went thru this goatrope doing customized Hussite decals for 15mm Hussite wagaons.

For a great source of decals:

http://www.littlebigmenstudios.co.uk/catalog/

My Samnites are all decaled with stuff from this company.

The other company with great decals:

http://www.3vwargames.co.uk/prodindex.htm

Between those two, you're set.

scott

jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject:

1000 x 600 was the image size in GIMP. I used Firefox to print the image on the half size sheet of paper. So, it was running close to 100 pixels per inch.

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: