Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evading into wood as cav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Evading into wood as cav

Here's one from the weekend.

First game, facing Steve Rawls: I'm sleepy, rusty, and generally not playing with precision. So I move a 3E LC unit to shoot up some Byzantine HC; looks to me as though they have a clear evade path after expanding 3-wide, but in fact not so: there's a knob of woods protruding behind their rear on the left of the unit. Steve's HC - after trying in vain to find my 'trap'! - line up on the right-hand element, preparing to charge me and presumably catch me with the reduced move.

But: even my reduced evade move is going to take me into the woods. Which - following my exploits of cavalry in woods a few NICTs ago - now force them to instantly adopt column, and the elements in front of Steve's HC whip out of his charge path and line up in the column. The end position leaves the HC wondering where the LC vanished to; I wish that in fact I had planned it.

[As it happened, I rolled short and hence stopped at the edge of the woods, so the whole thing was moot. But would this have been correct?]
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: don't have rules handy, but

There are a few things operating here:
a) If the LC were to enter the woods, they would have a vastly reduced move (40p, unless they rolled long). If they exceeded that move prior to entering the woods, they just stop at the woods...and not drop into column. If they had some move left (whatever fraction of 40p), they'd enter the woods and yes, drop into column, likely sticking outside the woods.

b) If there was a gap narrower than the LC between the woods and some other 'shoulder', the LC would likely drop back one or two elements in order not to enter the woods.

One of these situations would occur...
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject:

The woods were ~10p away - so if I had not rolled down, I'd have entered them; and no other body or feature to form a second gap shoulder, as it happened.
joncleaves

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject:

IF I understand the situation from the written description, there was no way for the LC to get away from the HC because of:

"When an evading body moves directly away from a charge
instead of to its own rear, it may have to wheel or turn 90
degrees (for 'free' in this case), or perform both, in order to
accomplish this move. If so, it cannot increase the distance
between it and any potential pursuer purely through ‘changing
shape’ due to the turn. This might mean the front of the unit
does not travel the entire evade distance."

from page 49.

In any case, its the very definite intent of the designer that an evader not be able to get away, if otherwise the distance did not permit it, solely due to rules for passing gaps and entering terrain in column and the like.

Please consider this official.

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject:

No - no wheeling involved, moving directly to the body's rear.

If it's the intent that evades be an exception to the 'must form column' rule, we'll need a rule change to that effect; it sounds as though that's the intent here.
joncleaves

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Ok, this is without indepth writing, but will do for now:

"When an evading body moves directly away from a charge
instead of to its own rear, it may have to wheel or turn 90
degrees (for 'free' in this case), or perform both, in order to
accomplish this move. [There might also be another type of movement requirement in play (dropping back to pass a gap, forming column to enter terrain, etc.) that might cause the evading body to gain a distance increase beyond its variable move distance.] If so, it cannot increase the distance between it and any potential pursuer purely through ‘changing shape’ due to the turn [or any other such movement rule]. This might mean the front of the unit does not travel the entire evade distance."

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Jon.
joncleaves

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject:

My pleasure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: