Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using LMI as lights/skirmishers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Using LMI as lights/skirmishers?

The Later Cartho's can field their Numidian javelin men as LMI.

Is this a good plan? How would they be less effective than LI?

From what I see now, they can move as fast as LI, can go into skirmish mode to evade away from the oncoming legions. and would be able to beat the tar out of the Roman Velites (who are only LI and have 2 figures per base)

Is this a good tactic for Carthaginians? or am I missing something?

Matt
Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Carthaginian LMI

Warrior is an intricate “Rock, paper, scissors” game. And LMI is a good matchup against LI. But you will pay for that advantage in points, which may give your opponent an advantage in points somewhere else. But as the LI is most likely to evade, you will only catch them on turns that the LI fail to counter away, and roll short to your charge.

LMI is also vulnerable to cavalry, of which Romans are not to famous for.

But the main threat I see is Roman Auxilla, which can be LHI, and thus have the advantage in melee. But if pitted against them you have all the advantages of LI, he has to catch you, which will only happen when you fail a counter, and roll short in an evade. And the Auxilla cost 6-7 points per figure.

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject:

LMI dominate LI, correct. But they cause wavers when routed in turn, and cost more; they also have less flexible charge response options.

Against Romans, whose cav generally suck, I would agree that this might be an OK option - but as noted, you have to worry about the LI's friends: you may not rout them at contact if they stand, and then in comes a legion... and see above: you cause wavers when you route.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: LMI options

I regularly use 2 element Peltast units as lights - they dominate lights and are very good against most other LMI - spanish being the exception, and with LTS can fight most cavalry prettyt well - so against poor cav armies LMI, jls sh (reg) are a good option
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: