Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hoplite theme - when to use standard shield patterns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Hoplite theme - when to use standard shield patterns

Painting up my Hoplites, and trying to figure out when did the various states start to use state symbols on shields vs. personal ones - I am painting an early hoplite greek army and was thinking about using various symbols rather than Spartan, etc.
When in this or later period would city emblems be mandated?
Bill Low

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject:

Like a lot … okay, most … questions in ancient history, there is no clear answer.

The sources are rarely specific about arms and armor … or tactics, for that matter; the writers seem generally to have assumed that their readers would know what they needed to know.

The Spartan lambda (for Lakedaimon, the territory in which Sparta was located and over which she exercised authority) is well-attested … which, in this context, means a handful of references. No one knows when the Spartans started to use the letter generally; there are references to early Spartans with personal blazons on their shields, but again no one knows whether these personal emblems were used alone or in conjunction with the lambda. (Note that the lambda was used by all Lakedaimonian hoplites, the subject Periokoi as well as the ruling Spartiates.)

Based on ceramic evidence, Early Hoplites seem to have used a wide variety of images … which may be personal, family or clan emblems … as blazons on their shields; but again, no one knows how closely the pottery depicts actual practice and how far “artistic license” departs from reality. (For example, while the depictions of arms and armor on Attic Red Figure pottery are usually extremely accurate, questions have been raised about the extent to which “heroic nudity” (common on pottery) was actually practiced in real life (probably little if at all)).

It has been postulated that by the 5th or 4th century, armies had become large enough that any recognition factor associated with a personal blazon (however valuable in the older, more aristocratic world of the 6th Century) would be lost, and that cities then began to adopt national emblems, possibly under Spartan influence. Again, this is supposition; however there is some evidence to support the theory:

• There is an anecdotal reference in Xenophon to the use of a “sigma” on the shields of the hoplites from Sikyon, during the Corinthian War (395 – 387 BC).

• The Messenians are said by a late source, no longer extant but quoted by another, that the Messenians used an “M” on their shields after their liberation from Sparta and the re-foundation of the Messenian state in 370-369 B.C.

• There is ceramic evidence of other states (principally Athens, from about 500 B.C. onwards) using a letter to mark their hoplite shields.

• Boeotian shields (about which more later) are shown on coins with the club of Heracles; contra, the shield on the tomb of Epameinondas is decorated with a dragon.

• Mantinean shields are supposed (per J.K. Anderson, citing Bacchylides) to have displayed the trident of Poseidon (who was a horse god, as well as the god of the sea, and widely worshipped in land-locked Arkadia).

• The shields of the hoplites of Argos are supposed (on the basis of literary references) to have been painted white.

Aside from these random and scattered references, there is not much to add.

If anyone is aware of other references that support national emblems, please pitch in. (The fact that LBM Studios reflects no others, tends to suggest that there are no others, but one can always hope. )
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Hoplite shields

Bill
Thanks for a great response - working on getting them painted
Robert
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks Bill
I appreciate it
Ed Memnon/Leonidas
scott holder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Sorta related to this.

How about shield patterns, or lack thereof, of mercenary hoplites from the Hellenistic era? Yunno, those found in the L Ach armies or any number of Successor armies?

scott

scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject:

I think I've answered my own question, at least as it pertains to Hellenistic era mercenary hoplites:

http://www.hat.com/Curr/Bx8045Decal.html

That's one set of shield decals from Little Big Men Studios in the UK. What's noteworthy is the presence of Macedonian 8-pt star patterns and the semi-circle motif, also Macedonian.

It's interesting how the previously fractious and notoriously truculent Greek city states would have mercenary units emblazoned with patterns from the "barbarian" north. Heh heh, amazing what enforced stability from abroad might do in areas such as this.

Again, this is a tad bit late for what we're talking about for the 2012 Theme but I'm working on a little side project in which a couple of elements of hoplites each represent a merc unit. Thus, I think I'll paint each stand with the same shield pattern. If I were doing a massive Warrior-sized army, I'd go with decals, not the rub on type but the old-fashioned water ones. They're a pain to work with in their own way but the results are fantastic (all my Samnite shields are decaled).

scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: