Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Command points

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Command points

Is there a standard cost for command factors for every army?

I see that late republican Romans have to pay 10 for reg and 25 for irreg.

I don't see this in the Gallic or Carthaginian lists which I am building (or any of the other lists I've looked at in the classical warrior book)

I am sure I am missing something. Enlighten me Smile

Matt
Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Yes there is.

With very few exceptions, every unit has a command cost. 10 for regular, 25 for irregular. This is to provide an incentive to build bigger irregular units than regular units.

The lists will mention the command costs as the last line item on the list. Most lists will give a limit of how many commands you can purchase, like 10 regular and 6 irregular. The limit no longer applies, but the cost still does.

The exceptions are very rare, and mostly are in the form of expendables.

Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject:

Thanks Phil,

No command factors in my classical warrior book. maybe an older version.'

Either way I am straightened out and building correctly. Also a plus I can field about 1800 points instead of 1600 Smile

Matt
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject:

Yo Matt
Should I figure that you might have a Classical army when we meet on Jan 7.
Ed Leonidas
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Ed,

the 7th looks good.

I'll have Marian Romans in 28mm, Polybian Romans & Carthaginians in 15mm
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject:

very good Matt
I have Early Imperial Romans (Danubian) , Feudal German, Nike Byzantine in 25mm
and Andalusian (ElCid) , Golden Horde Mongol (Batu), Later Hoplite Greek, and Later Polish in 15mm.
What is your pleasure?

You have time to decide.
Ed the Byzantinophil
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject:

How about Polybian Romans vs. Greek Hoplites? 15mm style!
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject:

So let it be written, so let be done
Ed Leonidas
Bill Low

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject:

<Reprinted with the kind permission of Ed "Leonidas" Kollmer>

The day was clear and the Peloponnesian sun was on it slow course to evening, as Memnon sat and perused the last reports from Asia. Suddenly, his eye caught a cloud of dust from the road leading to his house. Oh, he thought, another messenger from the east. Continuing his reading, he thought, perhaps Xenophon has made contact with the Persians. Finally, he raised his eyes and realized that it was Leonidas striding toward him from the chariot. Oh, he thought, this can not be good. Leonidas seldom left Sparta unless under extreme conditions.
He also noticed the grim look on Leonidas' face as he approached
"What brings my good friend from his work at Sparta?"
"I once more need your help."
"Is it Asia?"
"No, Syracuse!"
"Syracuse! What does that hell hole want!"
"Well, it seems that their allies the Romans have become too much for them, They are asking for us to help them"
" You know that it will mean bringing Xenophon and the 10000 back from Asia"
"Yes, I have already sent messengers"
"I suppose that you have already told the council that I will help or else you would not be here."
"True again, my old friend. You read me like an oracle."
"How much help can we expect from Syracuse?"
"They will furnish Spanish and Gauls, and maybe a contingent of hoplites, but not much more"
"The Gauls and Spanish will help; but for their contingent, do we need it or want it? Who will command the force?"
"You will, that is why I am here. I want to personally see you. A messenger would not do and we will have more details to work out."
"You will not be coming?"
"I am not sure. I have to keep an eye on developments here. I need someone I could trust with this and I didn't want the council to pick anyone else. If I can get things in order here, I will come."
"Do we know who the Roman commander is ?"
"Yes, one Marcellus Gaius Trajanius"
"Why does that name sound familiar?"
"He is the one who acquited himself well in the south with Surena the Parthian"
"Yes , I remember. It will not be easy then. Now I know why the Syracuseans begged for help. He is very capable. Does he share command?"
"No! He is sole commander. That is why we need to be careful. If we lose, Syracuse and Sicily will be lost."
"Indeed, yes. But now your trip has left you tired and in need of refreshment. Galon!!!, Galon!!!, wine for Leonidas and prepare for his refreshment. We will talk more in detail after we have had some food. Galon!! come"
Slowly , they turned into the house

To which Gaius Marcellus <aka Matt Webster> replied:

Building my army today Smile

TO BE CONTINURED
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject:

Scene: Room high in the palace of Syracuse. It is night some months later
From a window Memnon looks out to the north watching Mt. Etna erupts with wondrous night flares. He turns to see Leonidas entering the room.
"Ah my friend, the syracusans say the gods are with us. This eruption is a good omen they say. The god Hephaestus is showing fire on the roman invaders. I hope they are right . I think we need all the help we can get."
"Why so gloom, Memnon. Do you have so little faith in us or do you think this Marcellus is go great?"
"THis delay of Xenophon, ..."
"Oh that is why I came to see you." Leonidas interrupted. " His ships have been sighted off the cape. He will disembark by the morrow."
"Thank the gods! Do we have any reports about Marcellus?"
"No, But we need to make plans now. We should meet him and destroy him soon before he can get better organized and build more strength."
"I have been looking at the maps. I feel that we march north and somewhere between Paterno and Calania we should meet him , best by the river."
Memnon unrolls the map and points at the coastal road and moves his finger up until he reaches Calania.
"Here somewhere here by Paterno and the river. We should try to anchor our flank on the river , put Xenophon and the 10000 next to it keep our Spartans in the middle and try to get keep rough terrain on our other flank to keep his cavalry at bay. We need to break his cohorts."
"Where should we position the Gauls or Spanish?"
"The Spanish on the rough flank. The Gauls ,I am still finding the best place for them."
"Our Spartans will deploy deep. It is our best attack."
Suddenly, there is a noise from the door, both turn to face Xenophon, sweating and crusted with dirt.
"Xenophon!! How did you get here?" shouted Memnon. "Indeed the gods are with us!!"
"I rode in south from the north, reports in Italy were that Marcellus was landing in Messina. I figured that we should dock at Calania and rest instead of sailing here and marching north."
Leonidas and Memnon looked at each other in disbelief .
"You are an spirit of the gods, we are marching north to Calania. Victory will be on our spears."
"Come, clean yourself and we will talk more about our plans."

TO BE CONTINUED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: