Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

council (Leonidas)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: council (Leonidas)

Leonidas walks quickly up the steps to the council chamber. The fact that they summoned him must mean the reports were coming in. As he entered the chamber the council members turned and nodded at his entrance.

“Thank you for your speedy arrival. We have many reports to consider and your input is important.” said Councilman Morpheus.

“Yes, the news from the great battles in the Land of the Amish are most encouraging. It seems that Vlad the Impaler with help of our ally Bhatu of the Horde has turned back the barbarian migrations from the north. Most impressive.” added councilman Photeus.

“But that is only the beginning ,” interjected Councilman Bellerophon. “Spring is here and armies are on the move, we must be prepared to counter any attempts to destroy our allies or foresee incursions on our sphere of influence.”

“Yes, yes, Bellerophon. We will cover it all. But first, we must consider this report from Syracuse. It seems that they are once more calling for our help. This time it is the Carthaginians that are threatening them. But there is a strange wrinkle to this. I have also received an embassy from Rome. Am I correct in remembering that you, Leonidas, contacted Marcellus (Matt Webster), Rome’s general in Sicily about this? Can you enlighten us?” asked Morpheus, somewhat sarcastically.

“Yes, once I returned from Catania. I realized that the next threat to Syracuse would be the Carthaginians. As we were turning back the Romans, the Carthaginians were moving in from the south. I also knew that it was getting late in the season and that we would not be able to assemble a strong enough force to return to Sicily. I sent unofficial inquiries to Marcellus proposing an alliance of our forces to drive the Carthaginians back. This embassy most be Rome’s reply.” stated Leonidas.

“Yes it is.” Morpheus replied. “ Are you ready to embark on this expedition?

“I will, with the council’s approval.”

“You have it.” Photeus pronounced. “However there is one item that you did not forsee. Agapelogus (Bill L) accepted the Carthaginian commission to lead their armies in the Land of the Amish. Though he fared poorly, he has not yet been crucified. He is still under this commission and the Carthaginians will undoubtedly send him to Sicily. He is your mentor and friend. Will this not compromise your position?”

Leonidas’ face tightened, but was resolute.

“I realized this also, but I know that Agapelogus follows his honor and is fighting against the Romans, while I fulfill our honor to aid our alliance with Syracuse.

The councilmen nodded in approval.

Photeus picked up a piece of paper. “It looks as if another conflict is beginning at Western Point.”

“I have desired to enter into that conflict.” replied Leonidas mournfully. “However the omens are bad for me there. My household goddesses have predicted death and destruction for me. I will not defy the gods.”
“No one can defy the gods and reap success. It is a true Spartan tradition. Let us move along.” commanded Bellerophon. “ Where is the report from the north?”

“Here,” Photeus replied, shuffling through some papers. “It has just arrived”

“Our friend Lilrobes (Robert T) as we anticipated, is on the move.” declared Morpheus. “He has been organizing his forces throughout the winter. His alliance with the Amazons is complete. He has crossed the Androscoggin River and is last reported camped on Lake Sabago. Our allies on the coast will be calling for our help.”

“What say you, Leonidas?” Photeus asked.

“I will start mustering our troops and attempt to answer if the call comes from the coastal allies.”

The councilmen looked at each other nodding approval.

“That is enough for today. I believe, you have many things to organize.” Morpheus affirmed coldly as he stood.

“Fair thee well, Leonidas,” Bellerophon added smiling.

Leonidas nodded, turned and marched out of the hall. As he approached the entrance, he saw Xenophon waiting on the steps.

“How did it go?” He questioned.

“As well as expected, Morpheus did not like my overstepping my bounds with the inquiries with the Romans. But otherwise OK.”

“Where is Memnon? Does he know I asked him to come?”

“Yes, but you know him. Oh , here he comes now.” Xenophon smiles and points behind Leonidas.

Up gallops Memnon and slides effortlessly from his horse.
“Sorry to be late.” He states emotionlessly. “When do we leave?”

“You! You do not leave.” Leonidas replied smiling and grinning widely.

Memnon’s face fell and stood as stone.

“Xenophon and I will embark for Syracuse. I will take the 10000 and only the Lakedamonians that we have mustered now. You must stay here and organize, muster and prepare for our expedition to Portland. We must be ready if we are called”

“Have no fear, Leonidas.” confirms Memnon. “We will be ready.”

Turning to Xenophon quickly, Leonidas adds: “Xenophon prepare the 10000 and our Lakedamonians . We must move quickly. Hopefully, Marcellus has received our messages and is prepared for our arrival.” Xenophon turned laughing and jogged off.

Memnon looked after him. “Take care of that fellow, Leonidas. I will not be there to watch his back. You know how reckless he can be.”

“Have no fear, my friend. “

“Take care of yourself also. It will not be an easy fight. I know that Agapelogus will probably be facing you. The battle will be hard. Will you reconsider about letting me go in your stead?”

“No, I need someone I can trust who can prepare for Portland. And Marcellus will feel betrayed if I don’t come.”

“So be it.”

Memnon swiftly mounts and raising his hand in salute, “Come back safe, my friend.”

Leonidas returns the wave and watches his friend depart. “Yes , he thinks, it will be a hard fight. A fight he welcomes and fears. Slowly, he turns and walks down the alley.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject:

Game/Exhibit: Place : Great Barrington Library, MA 01230
Time: March 31. Friday 10am-2:30pm
all welcome
RSVP: ejkollmer@yahoo.com
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: leonidas

Reading between the lines - are you going to be able to come up for Huzzah?
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject:

As of now. the word is Yes
Leonidas is mustering the army
Ed/Leonidas
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Huzzah! warrior tournament 25/28mm May 5th - Portland ME

Excellent
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject:

The powers that be have given their approval.
I will be at my daughter's at Chester NH. I don't know if I will get in 3 rounds but I should get in 2 rounds. But Leonidas has Memnon getting the logistics to gether.
Ed Leonidas Kollmer
Bill Low

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject:

Ed Kollmer organized a demo/exhibition match at the Mason Library in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, on the Saturday of this past weekend. Five gamers appeared, for a 2500 pt game set in Sicily, pitting First Punic War Carthaginians (Matt Kollmer, his cousin Bill and Bill Low) against a Roman-Greek alliance (Ed Kollmer and Matt Webster). The space allotted to us by the Library was glorious: handsome, well-lit and positioned right at the main entrance, so we had many interested visitors. Plenty of action, with much dead lead at the end of the day; some 600-800 pts killed on each side. We played the Hoplite Theme rules, and they seemed to work well.

Some pictures attached:

1. Heavy action in the center.
2. That didn't work; now what?
3. We all end as friends.

We had a good time, and hope to return soon. Library Director and staff were very gracious, and suggested a number of ways to extend the event to local schools and colleges in the future.
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject:

Great pics, can't wait to see Ed's write up (especially how he extracts the Romans & Greek protagonists alive from that rout Wink )

I thought the library was a great place, lots of foot traffic and a great open space. Well received by the staff and locals.

Thanks to Ed for organizing this whole thing

Matt
Bill Low

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject:

Echo the tnanks to Ed for organizing the event. Great space to game! Thanks, Ed!

But "rout"??? ... what rout???... the Romans in the center under Marcellus totally pounded the EL and trained Spanish Scutarii sent against them.

Sigh ... there is no justice in this world.

Romans are manly men! Romans rule! Go Roman gamers!
Trajan
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject:

I'd say that the Romans were in a very Cannae-like situation. Winning in the center and driving forward while things were falling apart all around them. My right flank was about to be turned by 3 units of cavalry. Ed's Spartans were breaking and about to expose my left flank. And I had driven past the center line so it would have been hard to extricate myself in good order. Maybe impending rout would be better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: