Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rhone Plain Revisited

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Rhone Plain Revisited

The Rhone Valley Revisited:

Leonidas, Xenophon and Memnon surveyed the field.
There was a large brush on their right center flank and two on the left center flank.
“I will place my peltast, Spanish and Javelinmen to cover the right brush. My Lakedaminans, slingers and my second Lakedaminans will cover the right center on the shoulder of the brush.” Reported Leonidas.

“I will do the same except on the left of the field. Peltasts, Spanish, and my Cretans, Javelinmen will cover the brush. The 10000 will be on the right shoulder of that brush.” Added Xenophon.

“You know that leaves a hole in the center.” Retorted Memnon.

“I know.” Stated Leonidas. “Do you think you can plug it with your cavalry?”

“I will try but Maeve(MattK) will pour anything she has through it. I can’t hold back the ocean.”

“Hopefully, we will push the flanks and relieve the center pressure.”

“Be quicker than last time, I almost didn’t make it back.”

They waved and strode off to their commands.

6E Lakedam1/3HI(Sparta)2/3MI,Lts,sh+Leon
6El Lakedam1/3HI(Sparta)2/3MI,Lts,sh
4El Spanish RegC,LMI,HTW,Jls,sh @16
4El Peltasts RegC,LMI,Lts,Jls,sh @20
8El Allied Hoplites, MI, Lts,sh @16
6El Javelinmen,RegC,LI, Jls,sh @8
6El Slinger,RegC,LI, S,sh @8

10El Ex-Cyreans(10000)RegB,MI,Lts,sh+Xeno
4El Spanish RegC,LMI,HTW,Jls,sh @16
4El Peltasts RegC,LMI,Lts,Jls,sh @20
6El Cretan RegC, LI, B
2El Greek LC, RegC, Jls @12

2El Memnon+1El HC, RegB+1El RegC, Jls
3El Greek LC, RegC, Jls @12
6El Hamippoi Jlsmen, RegC,LI,Jls,sh(detachm)

As Leonidas formed up and drew up his forces, he noticed that Maeve had drew up her four Voscontii warbands to face him. Two were heading for the brush to his right and two were coming for his Lakedaminans. A LCh unit were pushing hard to his far right around the brush. He could just make out Maeve standing tall and majestically, waving her white spear; directly her attack. He must move quickly.

Xenophon at the same time was moving forward with the 10000. He also noticed that Maeve had mobilized local tribes. He saw two war bands on his left: the Cavare were entering the brush flanked by their LI. The Arecomici war band was also moving partially in the brush heading for his Peltasts. Their HC and LCh were moving back and forward in front of his 10000.

Memnon sitting high on his horse, looked disgustingly at the development. He sat in middle of the two flanks and was staring at LI moving about to his front.

“Maeve will soon be streaming all that HC and LCh into this hole in our line.” Memnon murmured angrily.

Maeve opened the battle with her Voscontii war bands in the brush to the right of Leonidas. Urging them on. They charged impetuously, coming on like a storm. They crashed into the peltasts and Spanish. The peltasts broke but the Spanish managed to hold. The LCh also charged the Javelinmen who shook and then broke.

Memnon in the center on his mount was the first to notice. He turned to his companions.
“Send messengers to Xenophon and instruct him to send his Cretans and a unit of Javelinmen to cover this hole. We must move to the right and stop the failing right flank.”
He raised his hand and waved his HC and LC to march to the right. Unfortunately, his LI was soon outdistanced and fell behind.

Next the Cavare and Arecomici war bands smashed into the Peltasts and Spanish on Xenophon’s left. They held.

Now Maeve ordered her war bands to engage the Lakedaminans Her War bands charged impetuously into Leonidas. The Lakedaminans pushed them back but the slingers routed. Leonidas rallied his men and pushed forward.

Memnon reached the right flank and was met by the routing Peltasts.
“Turn, rally…. Rally.” He shouted, but suddenly, he noticed his own HC was starting to become unnerved and break formation. He turned abruptly.
“Stand firm companions….Hold…….Rally to me……Remember who you are..!!!”

As predicted, Gallic HC and LCh started moving through the gap in the line and caught Memnon’s LI from behind and destroyed them. Damaphades turned his Allied Hoplites to plug the gap but only managed getting flanked and soon his men were being routed. Xenophon’s flanked by HC in the gap held but could do little else.

Xenophon pressed on his right flank; looked to his left. The Spanish and Peltasts continued to hold against the Cavare and Arecomici, but could make no headway. He realized that the Gauls didn’t need to push more but just keep his command busy, for as he looked behind to his right he could make out war bands behind the Spartan flank. Also LCh were careening around his immediate right. He wondered how Memnon was doing on the far right.

Unluckily, Memnon had just managed to rally his own HC as a Voscontii war band bore down on them.
“Memnon…. War band!!!” shouted a companion.
Memnon turned his attention to his front. The band was close too close. He had to charge.
“To Me….Charge!” He commanded. The HC paused, not yet totally organized, but unwilling to leave their commander exposed charged after him. Soon they were enswirled in a Gallic storm. Memnon was encircled and was only rescued by some companions who pulled him and his steed back and routed away.

Leonidas urging his Lakedaminans on soon raised his helmet and gazed around. Philon leaned over and shouted.
“The Lakedaminians to our left are wavering; Gauls are flowing through our center and I have lost all view of Memnon, but I see warbands circling around our right. The Spanish are holding but they are asking for a withdrawal.”

“What of Xenophon?”
“I can’t see his command. There are too many Gallic cavalry between us.” Philon reported.
Once again, Leonidas sadly commanded. “Back……Back….. We must discover what has become of Xenophon and Memnon”

Soon the Voscontii, Cavare and Arecomici warbands were devastating the lands up to the walls of Marseilles.

Leonidas, standing on the stern of his galley, sadly watched as the columns of burning villages around Marseilles marked the advance of Maeve’s minions.
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Wonderful. Too bad my warbands and LCh never perform like that. Must be from a subservient tribe.

scott

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Talk to Maeve. She has the magic spear. LCh become eager Laughing
Also I heard some talk about you and some team called the Capitals Laughing
EdK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: