Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scots Common: an AAR - Historicon 1200 pt. 15mm mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Scots Common: an AAR - Historicon 1200 pt. 15mm mini

Scots Common (Late Period, list 14 FW): an AAR in 1200 points

Click on the yellow links to see the corresponding pictures. I thought I would be doing an AAR so I was creative and took some pre-tournament pics. Enjoy!

Highlander Clan MacDonald (with septs Johnson and Frasier – of which I am related) responded to the call of James II to march from the Isle of Skye to the lowlands of Scotland and the city of Edinburgh.http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/hailkaeser/IMG_20120710_110222.jpg

Here they gathered supplies and marched out of a local town. The sounds of bagpipes blared from those marching in the column out of the town. Scouts from the highlanders lead the way, followed by the riding knights. The yeoman, eating the dust from the horses followed. http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/hailkaeser/IMG_20120710_110236.jpg

Last the highlanders and the baggage exit the town.http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/hailkaeser/IMG_20120710_110650.jpg

The view from the church shows off the army as they head out of town. http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/hailkaeser/IMG_20120710_110750-1.jpg

CinC 2E 1/2 Ir B SHK L,Sh 1/2 Ir C HK L,Sh + PA – 181 (James II)

2E Knights/Sergeants 1/2 Ir B SHK L,Sh 1/2 Ir C HK L,Sh – 109
2E Knights/Sergeants 1/2 Ir C SHK L,Sh 1/2 Ir C HK L,Sh – 106

4x 6E Yeoman Ir C MI LTS,Sh – 97

Highland Ally 2E LHI/LMI Ir B/C 2HCW,B,Sh / Jls,Sh – 103 (MacDonald)

6E Highlanders Ir A/C LMI 2HCW,B,Sh/Jls,B,Sh – 106 (Johnson)
4E Highlanders IrA/C LMI 2HCW,Sh/Jls,Sh – 73 (Frazier)
2x 6E Scouts Ir C LI Jls,Sh – 61

The Battle of Bloody Hill

Just on the edge of their borders the Scots army heard rumors of an invading Moldavian army. Quickly they marshaled from their camp and raced to meet the marauding enemy.

The Scots set their army between a gently rolling hill on their left and woods on their right. http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/hailkaeser/IMG_20120719_123929.jpg

Good defensive terrain. The Highlander command deployed in the front, with some lights on each of the flanks. The remainder of the Highlander command deployed on the hill. The Yeoman were in the center with the knights in their rear. http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/hailkaeser/IMG_20120719_123936.jpg

The ground trembled with the pounding of so many horses. Quickly the Moldavians gathered at the base of the hill. On the hill were the brave Johnson lads. Armed with a bow they fired at long range at the heavy knights of the army of Vlad. http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/hailkaeser/IMG_20120719_130740.jpg

The knights ferociously charged up the hill and the Johnsons (6E Highlanders w/ Bow) were filled with terror (rolled a 1 on the waiver). Loosing their arrows they did mightily find their marks causing much disorder to the heavy horse (up 2). A mighty war cry was heard from the clans as they did battle. Their line bowed, but it did not break (up 2 again). http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/hailkaeser/IMG_20120719_134300.jpg

To their right the scouts were in quick retreat on the heels of the light horse of the Moldavians

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/hailkaeser/IMG_20120719_140520.jpg

Inspired by their dramatic fighting James II called forth his knights and Yeoman to relieve the pressure on the right flank. Charging on the flanks of both knight units the brave nobles and lowlanders of Scotland did rout and exhaust the enemy knights. The Johnsons gave their lives (exhausted and pushed back), but the hill was held by the Scots for the moment. (thankfully I passed both waiver tests for the knights and the Scots Yeoman after the Johnsons evaporated).

The enemy general did see an opportunity to retake Bloody Hill so he brought forth his knight bodyguard and up the hill he raced taking the rallying Scottish knights in flank and routed them. James II took it personally upon himself to gain revenge for the enemy’s dastardly deed. He brought smite upon them and charging wildly he took them in the flank and did break their ranks (rolled +2 I think, while he rolled down 3) and causing much fear upon the Moldavians that the army took heed of his bravery and did flee the battlefield. 511-276 for the Scots (4-2)

What Strange Beasts Are These?

After some time to recover the Scots again heard of an invading army. This army was indeed foreign to them and headed by a bearded emir. We had heard that they were from a far away land on the continent of Africa (Abyssinia). In their battle center were foul smelling, but mighty beasts of war and their cavalry was reputed to be fierce as well.

Fighting on the same battlefield the once again the doughty spears of the lowlanders filled the gap between hill and woods. It was in this gap that the Ethiopians did march their war beasts.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/hailkaeser/IMG_20120719_161116.jpg

They also brought a fierce band of warriors.

As the battle unfolded it became known that not all the Africans are on the field of battle. Some of them are traveling around the flanks of the Scots. A small band of light horse (my left) and a mighty group of bowmen (my right) are seeking to enfilade the Scottish line. The Scots hold off a light infantry unit on the left to meet whatever troops come to bear on that side. On the right, the bowmen show up without warning and it appears the light infantry will have to give up their lives to hold the flank. The scouts eventually break, but their delay allows the Scottish main units to do battle without worry of flanks.

It was time to bring up the knights and attack the enemy before he has a chance to steal the day. The knights come up to attack the loose foot barbarians and the enemy was forced to send up a cavalry unit. The two horse units meet and the armor of the knights is able to carry the day.

The elephants hit the Scottish line and the Scots are nervous that enemy cavalry are there to follow up the elephants if the Yeoman line buckles. “Scotsman! – Hold the line! We must turn the enemy back now!” The elephants hit the line and the Yeoman respond to the call. Both Scots units roll +3 throwing the mighty beasts off of their spears in a disordered mess. Now is the time for the Scots to charge. One unit of spear is forced to take a charge of enemy cavalry, but they are too small and don’t roll up. Break they did upon the spears of the Scots. One of the elephants, who are sitting there disordered are forced to take a Scottish schiltron at the halt and break after being pushed back for two turns. The Abyssinians are broken in the center and their army is forced to flee the battlefield. 5-1 victory for the Scots!

The Hordes of Horsemen

The Scottish army, on the heels of their wonderful victory, take their army to the enemy. They have wandered into the land of the Skythians and suddenly they find themselves horrifically outscouted. What are the Scots to do?

The battlefield has a small hill on the Scots’ left with a few scattered steep spots on it and there is a small, plowed field on the right. The land between them is far – the Scottish Army cannot hold all this ground against such quantities of cavalry. A decision is made – we must refuse the right with the Yeoman and hold the hill with the Highlanders.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt200/hailkaeser/IMG_20120719_190350.jpg

As the Skythian army deploys it was clear the right decision was made. The enemy has about 90 scouting and easily covers the battlefield and then some. The far right Scottish Yeoman unit forms orb to hold the line with a supporting knight unit. The Highlanders take to the hill, but they are surprised by flank march. The scouts are again asked to hold the line. Quickly a Scottish knight unit is sent into the fray – charging down the hill into the Thracian unit at the bottom – the Thracians pass their test of courage and take the charge. The Scots recoil the Thracians, but do not break them. The lights break, but the Highland unit of Frasiers (4E) run off the LC.

The battle eventually came to a conclusion when the Skythians attempted to take on the end of the Scottish line – the Yeoman in Orb. Flying the flag of Scotland the Yeoman were charged by two units of Skythian heavy horse. “For the honor of Scotland!” rose up the cheer from the ranks. The heavy horse shook the ground as they neared impact. The Scots roared their cheer (+3) and routed the enemy sub-general causing fear to spread throughout his command. The Skythian command was soon chased by the Scottish knights waiting to respond quickening their collapse. The Skythians were forced from the battlefield and the Scots returned victorious. (5-1) for the Scots.

I used a little creative license for sure and no disrespect for my opponents. All three rounds were well played, but I got lucky when I needed it. I rolled pretty hot all three rounds – especially when it mattered and with the Yeoman (three times +3 – twice vs. the elephants, who also pulled off 1 up three and then vs. the Skythian sub-general).

I have wanted to run the Scots in a tournament for some time. I have always liked the history of the army and there is some true history of my relation in there. I also painted the army and dedicated a unit to my stepfather who passed when I was painting it.

The army is pretty fragile due to morale. (Moldavian) Had Chris broken my unit of 6E Highlanders like he should have had I not rolled up two in support and then up 2 (up 4 for front rank) I would have broke and then there would have been a rash of uneasy waiver tests and the right flank could have exploded. Although, had I passed the waiver and rolled like I did the knights were toast. I got lucky again vs. Bill (Abyssinian) as I rolled up 3 twice with the Scot foot – otherwise the elephants push me back and then the cavalry hit me disordered and then the left would have folded. Vs. Dave (Skythian) I had to hunker down in defensive turtle as he had sooooo much cavalry. If he had sent a command on the flank march instead of just a LC unit I was done. The up 3 with the foot vs. the general also saved the day for me.

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject:

SAVE THOSE DICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EXcellent AAR!! loved it.
The Cid looks forward to finding James and his Scots.
I was going to say, That Emir looked familiar.
EdK
Loved the pics.
I wish I knew how to do that.
Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: How to do Picts :)

Just about any digital camera can do that now. I picked one up in Walmart about 3 years ago and it takes very good pictures of miniatures.

In the old days it took 1000 ASA film and several hundred watts of halagen bulbs to get the same result as a quick click and shoot now.

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Phil
You are dealing with Ed the Ancient
You are lucky. You have Ed the Progressive.
Laughing
EDK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: