Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Somewhere in Boeotia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Somewhere in Boeotia

Somewhere in Boeotia on the coast

The sun was hot that day but the breeze was happily refreshingly cool as Leonidas sat with creased brow looking over the many reports he has received. Nothing looked good.
Suddenly, Xenophon jogged up the few steps onto the porch, sweating and breathing hard. He slouched heavily onto the chair.
“The drills today seem especially hard, glad they are over.”
Then he peering over toward the table.
“More reports, I see. Nothing good I presume from your face.” He quipped.
“No, nothing good.”
Then turning his gaze upward, he questioned.
“When you were in Thessaly, did you hear anything more about Philip and his young son, Alexander?”
Immediately, Xenophon’ s face became taut. Before his eyes flashed the bitter defeat at the hands of Maeve and Acco.
“Not much.” He murmured.
“Just that he was in Thrace. It might have been one of the reasons Maeve’s advance south was so limited. I thought it was more that the warbands were homesick and wanted to return home.”
“Well, he has moved south and the council, responding to pleas from our allies north of the isthmus, has ordered us to move against him. It even seems that the threat is serious enough that Athens has lent us the support of her fleet.”
“Good, when do we move? Damaphades has been hoping to redeem himself after Thessaly.”
“We will have a unit of Tegeans with us as well. Tell Memnon to ready the troops. We march soon. I will send messengers to Thespia. Thermaphades has also volunteered to go.”
Xenophon jumped out of the chair, towel in hand and trotted off the porch.

TWO WEEKS LATER

Philip(Jake Kovel) and his companions rode up over the small rise on the coastal road that led deep into Boeotia. Expressionless, he viewed one of the few open fields in the region. However, his concern was not the plain as much as the Spartan Camp on the far side.
“How long have they been camped there?” He growled.
“They came in last evening. Leonidas is in command from our reports.”
Parmenion replied stoically.
“Hum, we finally meet, this Leonidas and I. We will see what he is made of. Tell, my son, that he will command the right flank. We will see what he is made of also. Those reports of his victories in the hill country will soon be justified.”
“Look.” A companion interjects; pointing across the field. “Leonidas is forming for battle.”
Philip and Parmenion shift their view to the plain.
“He rushes to his doom, this Leonidas.” Muses Parmenion.
Philip reins up his horse and shouts.
“Form up the Phalanxes!”
Messengers gallop off into the distances.

(major water feature on the right with brush all along the left flank)

The morning is cloudy as Memnon rides up to Leonidas as he forms up his battle line.
“Why this rush to battle, my friend?” He entreats.(rolled Cautious Gen)
Leonidas whirls around and looks up at his friend.
“We have had this discussion before. The council bids us here besides why should we wait. The Athenians are giving us support. Now is the time. See the Athenian ships have arrived.” Pointing to the coast.
“ They will move up the coast behind Philip”
Memnon frowned, grimaced toward the coast as the white sails approached, lines his horse right and rode off.
6El Lakedam1/3HI(Sparta)2/3MI,Lts,sh+Leon
6El Lakedam1/3HI(Sparta)2/3MI,Lts,sh
4El Spanish RegC,LMI,HTW,Jls,sh @16
4El Peltasts RegC,LMI,Lts,Jls,sh @20
6El Allied Hopl,RegC,1/2HI,1/2MI, Lts,sh @16
6El Javelinmen,RegC,LI, Jls,sh @8
6El Tegeans,Reg C,1/2HI,1/2MI, Lts,sh @16

8El Ex-Cyreans(10000)RegB,MI,Lts,sh+Xeno
4El Spanish RegC,LMI,HTW,Jls,sh @16
4El Peltasts RegC,LMI,Lts,Jls,sh @20

6El Thespians,RegC,1/2HI,1/2MI Lts,sh @16
1 boat with 4El of LI Jlsmen.

2El Memnon+1El HC, RegB+1El RegC, Jls
4El Greek LC, RegC, Jls @12
4El Greek LC, RegC, Jls @12

scouting Pts 32

Leonidas deployed two Spanish units in the brush with the LI in between them. The two Lakedaminion units were to the right of the brush with a unit of Peltast in between. On Leonidas’ right, were Damaphades and his Allied hoplites? Next to them were the Tegeans. Xenophon drew up his 10000 with peltasts to his right and finally the Thespian. Memnon, his companions with two LC held back on the right in reserve.

Philip rode up to Alexander who was already moving toward the Spartan left.
“I see you know where you will deliver the blow.” Philip remarked.
“Yes, father. I will give you another victory to bring back to Macedonia!” He stated proudly.
Philip smiled contentedly and responded.
“Your three HC and two LC will take the brush. Take a unit of peltast and LI as support. The Thracian unit will stay close to the coast and keep the Athenians at bay. My command will keep the Spartan line busy.”
Alexander saluted with dignity and rode off.

Philip rode off to the Spartan right. He echeloned his pike with the foremost unit on the Spartan right. A Peltast unit flanked each end of the echeloned pike units , with LI units across the frontage.

(I don’t have Jake’s list but he had 5 pike units of 4El each. 3 units of 4El peltasts . 5 units of 6El of LI, A unit of Thracian LC, one of Lance armed reg LC, Alex’s 3 units of HC. Unit of Thracians, I think 8El, Plus Philip and Companions.)

As Alexander rounded the first brush, he viewed the Spanish and LI Javelin men in the opposite brush. He reined up his horse and studied the deployment in the brush. With the precision of a skilled surgeon, he turned to companions.
“Send messengers to the Thracian LC. Have them charge impetuously into those LI. That should surprise them.”
Grabbing on to another companion.
“Also have the Lance-armed LC circle around to the right of the Spanish and hit their flank. The Spanish will be wedged between them and their LI, who should be routing. Once the Lance LC have pinned the Spanish, move the Jls HC into them.”
Alexander leaned back on Bucephalus, smiled and observed.
“Now the hammer will fall”
All happened as he had said. The other Spanish unit turned to catch the Thracian LC but were in turn caught by the second Companion HC.

Leonidas receiving reports of the battle in the brush looked over and ordered the other Lakedamonian unit nearest the brush to go into orb.
He rotated his gaze 180 degrees and looked over to the right. Where is Memnon, he thought.
Barking an order to a messenger.
“Tell Memnon to cover the brush!”

Memnon had his own problems. (rolled a 1 on interpretation of orders) He had also seen the danger on the left, and had managed to send one LC unit to the left. However, that was the least of his concerns.
He argued with his companions.
“We need to move up to the right now. I can see Philip slowly moving over to the flank.” He thundered.
He looked around at their faces and saw just apprehension in them.
“Speak now or are you abandoning your leader?”
Soon one motioned his horse slowly forward.
“We would follow you into Hades, but this is madness. We are no match for those lances.”
“Since when do we fear the enemies weapons?”
They looked at each other.

Waving his spear in the air, Leonidas commanded his line forward.
Immediately, the Spartan line moved forward. Ekdromoi leaped forward from the Hoplite line. Bound after bound the Ekdromoi raced ahead to sweep away the LI.

Damaphades watched intently as his Ekdromoi pushed the LI away but his expression changed to apprehension as he saw the sterling points of pike appear as the Ekdromoi uncovered a pike block. The Ekdromoi routed back into the Allied unit and disorder ensued.
Again Damaphades relived the tragedy of Thessaly, soon two Macedonia pike blocks bore down him.

Simultaneously, Xenophon’s Ekdromoi had also driven away the LI but they rallied back safely. Soon however a Macedonia pike block charged in on their heels. The 10000 recoiled. Xenophon shouted encouragement to his men as a new pike block marched up for the attack. Xenophon whirled his head to the Tegeans on his left. He switched his gaze to his front and back as pike blocks drove into the 10000 again and into the Tegeans. Both held.

As the Allied Hoplites routed, Leonidas felt the spirit of his Lakadamonians wane. He looked around, and soon Philon stated cautiously.
“We better start moving back while we can.”
His eyes moving to the left, as the second Spartan LC moved to the left.

Alexander viewed with pride as the Spartan left dissolved.
“Now is the time, the hammer has hit.”
Turning to his companions eagerly.
“Tell Philip to pin the line, we move around.” Laughing, he pointed to the left. “Give him my regards and tell him I will meet him in the Spartan camp.”

After minute, after precious minute, Memnon labored to encourage his companions.
“Will you let Leonidas die while you watch?”
“Look!” Pointing to the Thespians on far right of the Spartan line. They could see that the Thespian had advanced the furthest and now Phil was swinging and angling to their flank.
“Will you stand here and watch Greek heroes die. How will you go back? “
“I will not live a coward”. Visions of his humiliation at Portlandia passed his consciousness. “All who will follow me come!!”
He turned and galloped off toward Philip.
The Companions exchanged glances, soon one after another trotted and then galloped after him.
Memnon glanced back and raised his spear and leaned forward. He looked next to him as the line formed. He could see resoluteness in their eyes, replace the fear in their hearts.

Philip, riding around the Spartan right, passed the Thracians waiting for the Athenian ships to disembark, prepared for his attack into the Thespians. Suddenly, Parmenion shouted.
“Look, Philip!”
Philip peered left and saw Memnon coming fast. He leaned back and view the sight with amazement.
“ This Memnon. I have heard also about him. Rash, I think. Courageous, but foolish.”
He gestured to his companions.
“Let us bump heads with this Memnon and see what he can do!” He growled.
The companions angled back and charged impetuously.

Memnon, seeing Philip turn to face and charging at him, raised his spear to attack impetuously. The clash was thunderous but Memnon could feel his companions spirit flow from resolute to alarm (roll down 2) as the long lance bit into his men. Memnon tried to reach Philip but his companions grabbed his reins and rushed him away.

Seeing Macedonian Cavalry to his left and the Allied Hoplites in route to his right, Leonidas realized it was over. Motioning his spear back, the Lakadamonians retreated. Memnon’s remaining LC covered the retreat.

Xenophon hard pressed in the center; received the message with sadness but relief. How much longer could the 10000 and the Tegeans hold.

Philip surveyed the field as Memnon galloped back to the camp.
“Clean up the field! Tell Alexander to rally his cavalry and report to me. I might have some work for him; now that Sparta has retreated. Maybe Athens and Thebes will be more agreeable.

By nightfall the Spartans had broke camp and were heading toward the isthmus of Corinth and home. The Athenian fleet sailed away never having disembarked its troops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: