Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Major Water Feature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Major Water Feature

Rick!!
Scott says you made the Coast (major water feature) in one of the pics, labeled "field".
I want to make one. How did you do it.???
ED the enquiring mind Kollmer
RFKroupa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Making Major Water Feature

Ed,
So sorry that I did not reply to this sooner. Sad Here is how the water feature is made...

1) Cut a sheet of masonite down to form the base of the water feature. For travel purposes I cut the sections in two 2' and one 1' sections. It also allows you to play 4' or 5' tables.

2) The banks are made of model railroad track bedding (a black foam material about 5 mm thick x 12" wide x 24"). It is cut with a hot wire. Word of caution, I would use a mask and plenty of ventilation as breathing in melted foam vapors can't be good.

3) The hot wire is very effective at cutting the track bedding with the irregular shape you are interested in. Cut the banks for each section so they start and stop at the same depth for each section. Thay way the water feature can be put on the table in any order and the banks will line up.

4) Use a white glue to lightly bond the banks to the masonite sections you made in step 1. Let it dry. Use the white glue very sparingly as it tends to warp the masonite if you use too much. I have used Plexiglas instead of masonite. It is harder to work with but it does not warp. Warping is not that much of a problem with the water features but it has been a problem on the hills.

5) Paint the model with "Flex Paste". The model railroaders use it all the time. It is a silicon based paste that does not dry brittle. It seals the little holes in the track bed. The most important part when the model is covered with a good coat of flex paste use your brush to mark waves in the water. This gives you texture so that you can dry brush in the white caps. Also run the brush strokes parallel to the shore line.

6) Paint the water area a dark blue. Using dry brush techniques follow the dark blue by successive lighter shades of blue ending in a white.

Track bed and Flex Paste can be bought at model railroad hobby stores. Sadly in my area most of these stores have not survived the current down size in the economy. Do not fear, it can be bought on line.

It has been suggested that drywall plaster can be used instead of the flex paste. I have not tried that yet.

Flex Paste ($15 - $20 for a 16oz bottle)
http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Scenery_Construction/WOO00001205/product.php?gclid=CI2Z6vnUtrMCFYZM4AodLE8Aiw

Track Bed (~$5 per sheet)
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/woo/woost1477.htm

The hills are made with the same technique. If this sounds too complicated I can be talked into making you a terrain feature for a reasonable fee.

Rich Kroupa
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks
Don't feel bad about the wait.
Actually, it was well timed. I haven't been able to work on that project yet so
it allowed me time to finish other things.
I will surely start it. I might be asking questions when I start about things.
Thanks again. I might even take you up on doing some things.
Ed the Kollmer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Painting and Modeling All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: