Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battle of Magetobriga

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Battle of Magetobriga

Battle of Magetobriga:

Livius and Marcellus rose the next day and started to deploy along the valley floor>(outscouted). Marcellus rode over to Livius who was exiting the camp.
“What say you, Livius?”
“Well it is the best ground we will get.”
A large rough area was on their forward right flank. Another rough was straddling their left center/flank line. A small wood was behind the left rough on the Gallic side and another rough in the rear Gallic flank zone. The center was mostly clear.

“ I ordered a palisade build on the far left between the rough and the end. The Aux Bow and the boltshooter will man that flank. The Rhaetians will deploy before the left rough between the two HTW Auxilia. My three cohorts will extend to the right from the left rough.”
Marcellus pointed out across the field.
Suddenly, the ground came alive. Livius and Marcellus stared with amazement as warband after warband moved into view. Soon eight warbands(9El, 3 ranks) separated by groups of LI. On the roman far right flank was a HC(2El) unit with a two Chariot. Two units of HC between the fifth and sixth Warband near the rough. On the roman far left was one HC unit.
“The revolt indeed is expansive. I see Nervii from the Belgae march as well as Allobroges from the south”
Still gazing across the field, Marcellus growled.
“That leaves me the right flank. It will be a tough fight, my friend. Hopefully, the flanks will hold long enough for us to crack the center. I have sent the Noble Cav around the flank.”
“Good idea, Marcellus. Be careful. Look! Those fanatics in the front ranks of the warbands .”(IrregA)
They grasped each other’s arm.
“To Victory.” They saluted.
They rode off to their respective commands.
Marcellus’s cohort extended the line on the shoulder of Livius’s cohort to the right till the edge of the rough on the right flank. He moved his Spanish LC on the right flank.

Maeve slowly cantered behind the center of her battle line.
Up charged Siterorix(GreggSiter), Ally General of the Nervii, with his 3 chariots.
“We have them Maeve! I can sense the fear from here. Is this all they could muster.”
“Move over to the left and move your HC into the rough and the LCh around the rough behind their flank.” She slowly commanded.
Then suddenly she jerked her head up and surveyed the whole field.
“Wait! Where is their Gallic Cav?” she queried loudly.
Her eyes moved from the left to the right sharply.
“Flank march. It must be on coming in. Keep your eye on your flank.”
Siterorix nodded sharply and circled his chariots and charged off.

The warbands moved swiftly across the field moving into the roughs and into the faces of the cohorts.
The opening action was the Boltshooters hammering the LI on the left flank. Soon after the Rhaetians and Aux units moved into the rough on the roman left eager to meet the Gauls. They did not have long to wait. The Rhaetians charged impetuously into the Gallic warband and routed them after a short but bloody struggle. The Aux unit to the Rhaetian left were not so lucky. They recoiled from their warband.
Another warband approached the palisades and charged. The Aux Bow shot them down one but could not hold the palisade and recoiled.

Marcellus moved his Spanish into the rough and skirmished with the Gallic HC and LI. They also tied up the LCh coming around the right flank.

Both Livius and Marcellus moved forward to keep the cohorts eager in the face of Gallic Fanatics. Maeve also moved into the center of her line with other LCh to urge her warbands on and cause fear in the cohorts.

Livius eyed the left and saw that the Gauls were gaining ground when a messenger came from Marcellus.
“Marcellus asks for your HC.”
Livius swung his view to the right and soon knew that the Spanish would not be able to hold forever. He nodded ascent and pointed to the Cataphrates to move right.

Soon it became very clear to Marcellus and Livius that the battle will be decided quickly. It was time for the cohorts to attack.
The Warbands rushed upon the charging walls of cohorts as the stormy sea smashs upon the seawall and the clash was thunderous. One cohort(Livius) recoiled, the second(Livius) pushed the Gauls back, the third(Livius) recoiled. Whistles shrieked as ranks exchanged.
Marcellus’s cohort also met the fanatic charged but the shield wall broke(rolled down 3 for two combats while the Gauls rolled up with IrrA). One cohort recoiled, one routed, a third recoiled but soon routed as the Gauls overwhelmed the gap.

Siterorix’s eyes straining toward the left soon saw a cloud of dust approaching. He swung his spear around and pointed it in the direction of the cloud. Soon his LChs were speeding off to meet them.

Livius’s attention was cemented to the action to his front. The second Aux unit shook while being charged by the Gallic HC and luckily only recoiled. Immediately, it was drawn to the far left as he saw a warband pouring over the palisades as the Aux Bow were continually being pushed back.
“Livius!!” came the shout.
He jerked to the right as he saw Trusus pointing toward the right.
Gauls were pouring through the line. The Cohorts were falling back. Also the Spanish were also moving back as he noticed that his Cataphrates never reached the right.

Maeve smiled confidently,
“Who will you send against me now, Rome, if Livius and Marcellus cannot stop me.”

Livius and Marcellus retreated back to their camp. As the warbands pillaged the field.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: