Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zulus vist Derekcon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Zulus vist Derekcon

I just finished painting half a Zulu army and there was convenient Derekcon for testing out the army. Derek, Steve and I had been experimenting with Zulu and liked the historical feel of the army, as all LMI HTW JLS Sh it punishes some army lists but has great difficult fighting lance armed cavalry.

The first match was Zulu versus Post Conquest Epilogue Inca being run by Rob Richardson. This match was easier for Zulu since the Inca list only has 0 to 3 units of HK L Sh. Zulu with their zero scouting points voiced several insults about being wimps with mounted troops, armor, missile weapons, and light troops at the Inca army and cheerfully set up in line across the rear 360 of the table. One could buy some light infantry with Zulu but they don't seem to match the rest of the army and you will still be outscouted anyway. There was a brush on the right for the RC unmarried warriors to stand around in and marsh on the left for a pair of RB married warriors to waste time in. The big open space in the middle was RB LMI HTW JLS Sh in 24 and 16 man units. There were a few 8 man units plus the two generals as reserves. The Inca list was two units of Conqusisador HK L, two units of nearly worthless Inca HC, six to eight units of Inca line infantry with HTW or LTS, S, Sh, and a few units of wimpy LI in the terrain. The interesting two units in the army were the two units of expendable war dogs, I was curious to see how these would work on the field.

Not much happened on the left until late in the game. One of the units of HK L and a tired war dog tried to pin and run over a Zulu unit, but the Zulu passed the mounted waiver and another unit caught the war dogs in the flank finally. This war dog did quite a bit, charged, list rule let it rally, charged again, rallied, etc. I looked at the numbers and didn't want to fight it frontally until it was tired which took several charges. Being a foot expendable was handy as it could charge three times impetuously keeping the Zulu back for several bounds. On the last bound Zulu and Inca started meleeing but the dice crushed the Inca quickly when they were rolling down and the Zulu were rolling up.

The right was more interesting. Zulu infantry were kept at bay by concentrated pike men and war dogs, so the center was something of a stand off. The right fell apart quickly for the Inca though as the Inca cavalry charged into disaster by rolling down -3 on their charge. The RB Zulu passed the waiver and then rolled even to route the HC on freaky dice. Two Inca units shook from this but the second Conqustador knight moved into plug the gap. He charged an unmarried RC Zulu unit in the open, which promptly failed its waiver and routed. The Zulu units in reserve moved in to clean up the router but the knight was quick in responding to the flank threats. The RA Zulu CinC got into position, prep shot the knights, got charged, and promptly rolled a one to make a mess of the right flank. No army standard was handy at this point as most of the Zulu infantry were far enough away to ignore the fate of their CinC.

We learned that Inca war dogs are a nifty expendable and that LMI LTS needs to stay away from HTW troops. The Inca HC is just worthless, may as well be MC sidearm or something equally cheap.

Second game for the Zulu grand debut was Zulu against Later Crusader, by Chris Richardson.

Bravely the Zulu left their camp and deployed across the back 360 of the table. Zero scouting points makes deployment easy. Smile This game there was no handy terrain for the Zulu although the Crusader troops had some brush on the right for their light infantry and a hill on the left for the close order spear blocks.

First bound, two crusader knights decided to charge the Zulu standing in the open on the left. The Zulu troops decided to gamble and tried to outrun the knights, but the dice said the knights were faster. Two routs. The Zulu units in reserve started moving over to fill in the gap. Bound two, more knights charge, more Zulu try evading impetuous charges like they should, and still get hit by knight rolling long. Another unit routs and the sub general starts feeling troubled about his command. Unfortunately, he didn't have to worry long as his efforts to counterattack ended up with him getting hit in the rear while he followed up another knight unit. The subgeneral's command retreated off the table as they could, although one unit was stuck in front of a spear block. The CinC came up with small reserve units and tried to clean up the messy flank, but just made it messier. The CinC also got run over in the rear while routing another knight unit. I ran out of generals before Chris ran out knights, so the game ended with a messy 4 - 3 for the Later Crusaders.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject:

So the strategy is, with knights, to absorb all the knights and hope that they run out of knights so the rest of the Zulus can finish off the pilgrims. ?
EdK
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Zulus vist Derekcon

You've pretty much got the Zulu versus Lance armed cavalry tactic down pat. Ensure you have 120 paces behind you to run and hope the cavalry doesn't roll long.

I made a chart at one point, but almost always running away and hoping not to get caught was better than standing still and absorbing an impetuous charge. The exception was being at 40 paces when you had a chance to prep shoot the cavalry and then absorb a tired, disordered impetuous charge.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject:

GREAT!!
A simple easy strategy that I can understand and maybe do!
I better get that Zulu army that MattK has going.
Ed K
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: More mindless armies to play :)

I'm building Tuareg next as my next mindless army to play. One big command and just mindless charge across the table.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Zulus - Thanks Jamie - planning my Sudanese

love the update
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: