Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basing question for heavy or medium camels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Basing question for heavy or medium camels

I've been really intrigued by the African Warrior lists and picked up some Old Glory miniatures that looked suitable for conversion to Tuareg camel lancers. So far the project to convert SOD-12 camels to Tuareg camel lancers looks reasonable. My alternative to Old Glory miniatures was some company in Australia that was two or three times the price. So I've got epoxy putty for covering some of the figs faces with veils, that looks like a pretty reasonable effort. Gluing shields on the figs and changing rifles to lances, I think a little putty will fix that as well.

I looked at the camel bases though and realized that the camel bases are about 60 mm wide and hang way over the edges of a 60 x 40 base. Any advice on the better way to work around this basing issue? I was looking at

A. Three camels will fit on a 60 x 60 base
B. I could get five camels to fit on a 60 x 80 base but then it would awkward to expand out after combat.
C. Base the figs on 60 x 40 bases and just let the back of the camels hang off

Any opinions on A, B, or C? I was thinking that A would be better looking at least.

Thanks

Jamie
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject:

What is this about more than 3 or 4 camels per base.??
Isn't it just 3 or 4 only on a base?
Ed the inquisitive
Bill Low

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject:

I did something similar for the Steppe theme a couple of years ago, except that I was converting the SOD-12's to serve as Uighur MCm, so the modifications were for lance/bow. Painting was my usual (sadly, poor) quality, but I thought the basing worked out just fine.

I used standard 60x40 bases, but allowed the front edge to extend beyond the base (as well as the back), so that neither stuck out more than it had to. By mounting them at a slight offset to one another, and angling them slightly, the forward overlaps on one element lined up with the gaps between the rear overlaps of another.

It works, but it helps to have a system for keeping track of which elements marry up with which others; I used a code painted on the bottom of the base for a similar issue in the Hoplite theme.

I have also done the double-base thing with Gripping Beast Sassanid cataphracts, which also tend to run big in the base. It was 4 figs in the front rank and 3 in the back. Works fine, but as you say its a little awkward on follow-ups; you can always bring a spare 60x40 base, to mark an expansion. As an unexpected bonus, the doube-bases have a very satisfying extra "heft" to them and make set-up a bit easier.
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Figure conversion

What did you do to convert the two rifle armed camel riders to lancers? I have Steve's Dremel so I was thinking about cutting off the rifle, drilling into the hands with the dremel, and then inserting a lance into the hole. Mounting the shield looks to be just gluing it on with white glue or similar.
Bill Low

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject:

Dremel hand, insert Lance ... should work just fine.

I'm afraid I was a little more lazy than that with the Uighurs ... I could try to persuade you that I was too busy, but you would know better ... so I wound up using needlenose to bend the arm ... just the slightest bit ... then hand bent back the extended rifle ... and hey presto I had a bow ... on which I daubed enough thick paint to cover the bands ... mostly.

Not elegant ... I cheerfully admit ... but that was that and I played the figs in the Theme, and no one objected ... mission accomplished.

Did I say I was a poor painter? I am a pretty poor converter as well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: