Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warrior at Council of Five Nations: Schenectady, NY, Oct 12.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Warrior at Council of Five Nations: Schenectady, NY, Oct 12.

Folks -

- I'm hosting this repeat one-day event, nominally with a MesoAmerican theme (because I missed out at H'Con! and using the special rules used there also) but we'll take all comers gladly. C5N is a friendly, well-run event and has expanded this year so we have plenty of space - it would be swell if we can get a decent showing and potentially grow this into an annual, sizable tournament. Besides gaming, I can offer accommodation, red wine, and cameraderie..

..25mm, plenty of loan lead available. Do let me know if you plan to come, in case of the happy circumstance that I need to organise more tables!
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject:

There's been a flurry of emails on this. Could somebody share who is going? It's nice to see a healthy chunk of people make the trek to play Warrior!

scott

Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm delighted Smile.

Reminder: 11 days from now, October 2, at the Council of Five Nations con in Schenectady, NY: 25mm Warrior event. Loaner lead available.

Looks as though we may have 8 or so folks, maybe a few more. Splendid! Much credit to Bill Low for tireless cheerleading and/or rabble-rousing, of course.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject:

Timing confirmation: first round 9 a.m. sharp! Please, folks, be on-site and ready to play at 8.45 - thanks very much.

One admin detail first: registering for the convention by Monday will get you discounted entrance:

http://www.swa-gaming.org/CouncilOnlineRegistration to Pre-Register via the online form (with immediate PayPal or Credit Card payment).

Back on Warrior: especially given the excellent turnout, we'll play 3 games. I think standard terrain for the first round, 9-12.30; then pre-set terrain (hence 3 hour slots) for the two later rounds, 1-4 and 5-8. Usual tournament scoring, swiss-style matchups, etc. Any questions, drop me an email: emcnay@albany.edu works best, although I will try to check here also.

I do want to publicly thank again Bill Low for tireless support as well as a vast loaner lead collection - thanks, Bill.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject:

And much joy was beheld.

We had an excellent day on Saturday: 10 gamers played three rounds of 25mm Warrior. Using preset terrain and the now-normal rapid deployment approach, almost all games were at a conclusion in under 3 hours. Much to my joy, we successfully recreated the Theme that I missed at Historicon: 9 of the 10 armies were MesoAmerican (and the Assyrians who came along as interlopers fit in fairly well!). Several of us showed rust in our Warrior minds, but a splendid day nonetheless.

Bill Low not only provided lead for many of the participants, but also arrived early to help with preset terrain for the first round; others drove in from New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Massachusetts. Jacob Kovel added to my prize fund in providing vouchers for Silver Eagle merchandise; and Ben Markowitz (aged 9) joined us for all three games, ably sub-commanding father Dave's Cimaroons. It's almost too bad that the NICT no longer needs qualification tournaments; this was the largest tournament in the region for a good while, I think.

Overall results:
Ewan, Spanish Conquistadore 14
Marc Cripps, Zapotec (I think) 11
Jacob Kovel, Inca 11
Dave/Ben Markowitz, Cimaroon 9
Fred Stratton, Assyrian 8
Matt Webster, Aztec (I think) 8
Todd Kaeser, Aztec 8
Bill Low, also Aztec 5
Matt Kollmer, ? yet more Aztec? 4
Ed Kollmer, I believe still more Aztecs 2

Not a good day to be an Aztec, it seems!

War dogs are great! I never got the hang of artillery even with the uber-wheeled guns, and wouldn't take them again, but the dogs are fabulous: able to go into terrain, rallying if they miss first contact. Expensive, certainly, but a good buy. The Spanish infantry proved their worth also, with the LHI being a big deal and their HG an effective missile weapon (although I had to take the odd waver for being shot while shieldless), and the combination of K with the usual LMI was very potent. I was outscouted every game - gee, surprise - but able to break through on a small frontage before being flanked.

It's true that the *best* part of the day was probably meeting friends whom I had not seen for too long, but the gaming was pretty excellent also, and the venue is great: spacious, well-lit, free parking, good food. Let's make it even bigger next year?
Bill Low

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Second everything Ewan said about the day, the opportunity to game with friends old and new and the very accommodating venue. Good times.

Some minor corrections on the published army line-up, as follows:

Ewan, Spanish Conquistadore 14
Marc Cripps, Zapotec 11
Jacob Kovel, Later Inca 11
Dave/Ben Markowitz, Cimaroon 9
Fred Stratton, Assyrian 8
Matt Webster, Chinantec 8
Todd Kaeser, Aztec 8
Bill Low, also Aztec 5
Matt Kollmer, Aztec 4
Ed Kollmer, Spanish Conquistadore 2

Thanks to Ewan for organizing the event and interfacing with convention personnel. Everything went very smoothly. A very good day.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Ah, right - thanks, Bill: I should have recalled that Ed had a bunch of questions on the war dogs (and also on cav - duh, who else gets cav?!). I didn't get to compare lists with him on our Spanish, though - too bad.

The Spanish were better than I had expected, but I think partly benefitted in-theme from their key advantages of HK, dogs, and the one unit I could afford of LHI. I should have dropped the guns and bought a second Spanish infantry unit; and I should not have made my minimal LI (3 2E units) D class - too many failed counters could have bitten me. Otherwise I was decently happy with the army. I went combat rather than missile for the LMI, so all JLS rather than D or S, and that was the right choice in-theme as I rarely got shot up but the extra factor in combat really mattered. 2HCT, JLS against something like LTS is not in favour of the LTS guys. In a more Open setting the minimal lights would be a bigger deal, the K are vulnerable to better K or elepants (although El in general should not be a problem), and the army is very compact so vulnerable to possible flanking - but I still like it.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Well it was good to see that the Conquistadors were the bookends to the event. I concur with Ewan. I like the Spanish. The WarDogs were interesting. But I copied JamieWhite's 5pts view of War Dogs. I have to add as Ewan pointed out that they rally if not contacting enemy. I thought they rallied after contact with enemy.
Sorry for the misunderstanding .
However, I made Ewan's day when I wanted to charge my HK across the stream which was a defended obstacle, defended by MattW's 2HCT Warriors.
Ewan said he never had a question about such a maneuver. I wonder why???? Laughing
MattW would not let me do it.
Darn!!!!
Ed the Rash Cortez
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: