Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold Wars 2014 - Who's going?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Cold Wars 2014 - Who's going?

Just booked my airline tickets and hotel for Cold Wars 2014. Tentatively Bill Chamis is in, and will be my partner. It has been too many years since he and I last played together as a team!

Really looking forward to this, though I may have to do some painting to be ready. Who else is in?
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject:

I am in this year as well Smile

Todd

Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: I'm in.

I will be there.

Avoid booking with "Travelodge" on Route 30 if possible. They are on my forever shit list.

http://phil-bythenumbers.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-best-exotic-travelodge-hotel.html

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Cold Wars

Chris Damour and I will be playing teams together
Robert
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject:

So it looks like I'm going to be painting some figures for Cold Wars. It feels so strange -- my brain is all, "Hey, I totally know how to do this" and my eyes and hands are all, "What? You want us to do what?"

I'm sure it has been at least 5 years since I've picked up a brush. This should be interesting.
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject:

You won't have any problems.

I went thru the same thing about 3 years ago when I started painting again and I was doing 15mm, something I hadn't touched in close to 20 years. It was like I'd never stopped painting in either scale.

I just finished up the last of my expansion stuff for 25mm Early Burgundians for the HYW Theme this summer and it's been a breeze.

You'll enjoy rekindling the joy of painting.

scott

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject:

I blame it on the kids.

After Alex was born, I pretty much retired from miniatures. Parenting and work demands just made it too difficult. Indeed I had all my miniatures packed away in a closet. So one day, when Alex was about 5, he got into that closet, found some miniatures, brought a stand of knights to me, and said, "Dad, what are these?" Two years later I was back in the hobby, and three years later I was bringing Alex to Cold Wars. It helped that Alex has a passion for history, that the "Age of Empires / Kings / Conquerors" series was his favorite computer activity, so our hobby was something to which he could immediately relate.

My youngest, Nathan, is now 8. He's quite different from Alex. He has no concept of time, much less of history. But he's very familiar with my miniatures, and I let him play with the WWII Axis and Allies minis pretty much however he wants. His big interest is anything and everything to do with Transformers. And he watches a lot of Transformers-related videos on YouTube (did you know the entire 1980s cartoon movie "Transformers" is available on YouTube? I didn't). Apparently, there's a series of videos on YouTube of guys showing how they have "modded" their Transformers toys with alternate paint jobs.

I should also mention that Nathan and I are pretty active in Cub Scouts, where there are a lot of painting projects: Raingutter Regatta, Pinewood Derby, etc. So we've done some joint painting projects together.

Anyway, one day Nathan walks up to me, Optimus Prime in hand, and says, "Dad, how do you paint figures?"

I helped him do some painting mods with some of his Transformers, and then casually asked if he had any interest in working on some of my unpainted figures. I got an enthusiastic "Yes!" So here I am, gearing up to paint again.

I won't be bringing Nathan to Cold Wars this year, but 2015 is a strong possibility. Kids make you do the darndest things.
Bill Low

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject:

All sounds so very familiar. My guys have all gone in different directions, different but still sort of the same. Thanks, Mark, for bringing it back.

I plan to be at Cold Wars ... maybe we'll find a minute to raise a glass to our youth and our present.

Best to Karen.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject:

Boy!!!! Brings back memories.
Yes! Bill !! I know what you mean!
Mark! Your remarks reminded me of what my son, Matt said.
I remember the incident, but I never realized the effect it had on Matt.
About a year ago, Matt made a remark about how his interest was sparked with miniatures.
Way back in the early 80's I was getting into miniatures and I had ordered some Varangians. They arrived and Matt wanted to know what was in the packet. I said that we would open it after dinner. I didn't realize he couldn't wait for dinner to be finished.
When he saw the figs, he was hooked I think.
I also thank you, Mark for bringing me back.
Ed the Grateful
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject:

Last figures are painted, based, and flocked. And they fit in the airline-compatible travel box. Scott was right. It was actually quite a pleasure to return to painting. Kind of mind boggling that I have acrylics 10+ years old that are still fine, and India ink 15+ years old that's as good as the day I bought it.

Anyway. Me, my 22 models, and 374 total figures are ready to travel and looking forward to Cold Wars. Now if only I can get Bill Chamis to understand how the army works. Which means I have to remember how it works... Getting old is not for the faint of heart.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Cold wars

Well we will be having fun - not sure we will win anything - it is about a year since I last played - reading rules this week
Looking forward to seeing you
all - and actually planning to be there on time
Last year was a year to forget
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Great to hear from you!
Have no fear. You will do well. I have great faith in you.
Besides you read the rules.
Just remember. "your worst is better than my best"
Miss you big guy.
When I go away to a game. The code phase that I should have a good time from my wife was the phrase. "Come home with your shield or on it"
Nowadays, she still says it ( which makes Matt laugh now) but she now knows that she should start making funeral arrangements or getting the medical supplies out Laughing .
Ed K
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Cold wars

Chris will run the D's - i will run the A's and we will have a blast
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject:

And.... how did it go? I have not played this game in TOO long..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: