Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mossi - African Warrior #7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicholas Rowe
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Mossi - African Warrior #7

I'm looking to get back into Warrior again, after not having played for over a decade. Mossi are an interesting group of people, so I made a list for them.

Mossi (Alt)
CinC w/ PA standard as Irr B LC JLS, Sh 122 pts
10E Mossi Cavalry 3/10 Irr B LC JLS, D, Sh, 2PM 7/10 Irr C LC B, 2PM 181 pts
10E Mossi Cavalry 3/10 Irr B LC JLS, D, Sh, 2PM 7/10 Irr C LC B, 2PM 181 pts
3E Mossi Cavalry Irr B MC (horse and rider lifida) JLS, D, Sh, 2PM 133 pts
3E Mossi Cavalry Irr B MC (lifida) JLS, D, Sh, 1PM 115 pts
Sub-general w/ P standard as Irr B LC JLS, Sh 62 pts
9E Mossi Cavalry 1/3 Irr B LC JLS, D, Sh 2/3 Irr C LC B 133 pts
9E Mossi Spearmen 1/3 Irr A 2/3 Irr C LMI JLS, Sh 124 pts
6E Mossi Skirmishers Irr C LI 1/2 S, Sh 1/2 B 55 pts
9E Subject Infantry Irr D (1 C) LMI 1/3 lifida, JLS, D, Sh, 1/3 JLS, D, 1/3 JLS 91 pts
9E Subject Infantry Irr D (1 C) LMI 1/3 JLS, D, Sh, 1/3 JLS, D, 1/3 JLS 82 pts

The idea is that my C-in-C and his cavalry force equipped with poisoned missiles attack the weakest flank, my other three units of LC protect the other, my skirmishers and subjects screen the center, and then my spearmen come forward to mount an assault once my CinC can support them from his flank, with the subjects also supporting with the help of barbarian infantry rules. The MC JLS, D, Sh are meant both to take care of Reg LMI missile troops (I believe they wouldn't present a target for support shooting without any elements in the rear; correct me if I am wrong) and to provide shock against targets weakened by missiles. I'm considering making them Sudanese in order to root out terrain-holding infantry, but I'm worried that the reduced movement might make them vulnerable to missile fire.

I also would like input on 10E LC, which I intend to place with 3E JLS, D, Sh in the front, 4E B in the middle, and 3E B in the back. If facing a target that can't move or fire against them, they can also become 2x5 for optimal damage output.

Since this list uses so many African Warrior X-Rules like Lifida and Poisoned Missilles, I also made a list that doesn't use them.

10E Mossi Cavalry 3/10 Irr B LC JLS, D, Sh 7/10 Irr C LC B 141 pts
3E Mossi Cavalry Irr B MC JLS, Sh 88 pts + 6E Detachment Mossi Skirmishers Irr B LI 1/2 S, Sh 1/2 S 52 pts
3E Mossi Cavalry Irr B MC JLS, Sh 88 pts + 6E Detachment Mossi Skirmishers Irr B LI 1/2 S, Sh 1/2 S 52 pts
12E Mossi Spearmen 1/4 Irr A 3/4 Irr C LMI JLS, Sh 151 pts

Same deal, except I use skirmishers to protect my vulnerable MC instead of lifida. Their slings replace the MC's darts, and I redirect the points remaining there into providing a fourth rank for my spearmen and more LC.

I'm worried at my lack of durable shock troops, but it's not like the Mossi list provides any of that. I do have a very high probability of outscouting whomever I fight.

So, what do you think of this army? How would your guys crush it?
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Good to see a post like this.

As for support shooting, chargers can always get shot at as they charge in, regardless of whether they are in only one rank or not. In later bounds of contact during the same hth combat, elements in contact along their face would not be eligible targets of support shooting (unless Elephants).

I'd agree that the reduction in movement of Sudanese cavalry kills that concept for me. Would love to have Brush immunity...not going to give up 40p of movement.

As for 10E units...you can't have 3E/4E/3E...only the last rank can be the uneven rank...so they'd have to be 3/3/3/1 or 4/4/2 (or 5/5 as you note).

How would I crush it? I'd likely direct long range bow fire onto what are relatively vulnerable troops...LC/MC. Or send armored lancers into LMI/LI, not fearing much reprisal from MC.
Nicholas Rowe
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the reply. I've thought about everything you said, and made adjustments. These are all using the AW x-rules; I don't think this list is viable without them. Although if someone would like to try.... Anyway:

9E Mossi Cavalry 1/3 Irr B LC JLS, D, Sh, 2PM 2/3 Irr C LC B 145 pts
9E Mossi Cavalry 1/3 Irr B LC JLS, D, Sh, 2PM 2/3 Irr C LC B 145 pts
6E Mossi Cavalry Irr B MC 1/2 horse and rider lifida, JLS, D, Sh, 2PM 1/2 lifida, B 176 pts
6E Mossi Cavalry Irr B MC 1/2 horse and rider lifida, JLS, D, Sh, 1PM 1/2 lifida, B 167 pts
6E Mossi Skirmishers Irr C LI B, 1/2 Sh 55 pts
9E Mossi Cavalry 1/3 Irr B LC JLS, D, Sh, 1PM 2/3 Irr C LC B 139 pts
9E Mossi Cavalry 1/3 Irr B LC JLS, D, Sh, 1PM 2/3 Irr C LC B 139 pts
12E Mossi Spearmen 1/2 Irr B (1 A) LMI JLS, D, Sh 1/2 Irr B LMI JLS, Sh 190 pts

First, I dropped all of my 10E LC units down to 9E. It was never a big part of my strategy anyway, and it does save points.

Speaking of saving points, I found a big point-saver for Poisoned Missiles. It turns out, on no list are mounted B allowed to take them. Thing is, to get the +1 CPF from the darts you only have to do one CPF from "shooting by enemy bodies equipped with Poisoned Missiles". Also, not all the elements in a body must take Poisoned Missiles to use them, just "those elements that can be equipped with Poisoned Missiles". Meaning, the effects of PM occur as long as I do at least 1 CPF with bowfire and darts combined from the same unit (and as long as the darts are throwing). So that's quite a lot of points saved on Poisoned Missiles. Because it's suddenly more cost-effective, I gave my weak wing one shot of poison each.

I also gave my MC a back rank of MC B. They can't fight, but they provide more weight to resist shooting, as well as shooting themselves and providing some support shooting to charges. Additionally, they allow me to armor all the MC JLS, D, Sh with horse and rider lifida, making them EHC for the purposes of shooting (and -1 to S and SS). In case they have to skirmish, the back rank gets rider-only lifida, which makes them count as HC to shooting (and -1 to S and SS).

I gave my strong cavalry wing a unit of archers, in order to increase their weight of fire.

I upgraded my Mossi Spearmen. With 12E of Irr B or better and darts to throw against chargers, they should, most of the time, be able to avoid taking 1 CPF if charged impetuously by a standard 2E SHK unit, even in the open. 2 units of SHK is a major commitment, and should allow me to attrit them beyond use with my slingers. If more than 2 units SHK are thrown at my infantry, then taking the wings should be easy. However, I should probably still use terrain to shield my infantry until support is available for an offensive. That conflicts with my need for open spaces for my cavalry to operate. Hopefully my massive amount of scouting points can square that circle.

I feel this may be the strongest list I can make out of the Mossi. They are severely lacking in many departments, most notably armor, close order infantry, and any HtH weapon beyond JLS. Still, they do have strengths. I've heard of Warrior matches on roll20. How do I get into one of those and test this army out?
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Roll20

Yes...we are playing on Roll20.

I'll send you a PM so I can get an invite to you.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: