Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

African Warrior - Songhai #4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: African Warrior - Songhai #4

I am trying to keep the coals of Warrior burning here on the Forum. I’ve been poking around African Warrior seeing what lists are viable or just fun. Here is one of my recent attempts. I always like looking at other people’s configurations of lists.

Songhai (African Warrior #4)

CinC 2E Ir B EHC/HC L,D,Sh + PA – 169
2x Sub 2E Ir B EHC/HC L,D,Sh + P – 104 (208)
2x 2E Songhai Lancers Ir B EHC/HC L,D,Sh – 91 (182)
4x 2E Ghulam Cavalry Reg C LC Jls,D,Sh - 50 (200)
3x 4E Songhai Boatmen Reg C LMI Jls,S,Sh – 90 (270)
2x 4E Ghulum Spearmen Reg C LMI Jls,B,Sh – 90 (180)
Total is 1,209 so far

Options: (Late)
2x 12E Songhai Spearmen Ir D (1E C) MI LTS,Jls, 1/2Sh - 149 (298)
4E Songhai Skirmers Reg C LI Jls,Sh - 38
2x 2E Songhai Skirmishers Reg C LI Jls,Sh – 26 (52)

(Middle)
2x 6E Songhai Spearmen Reg C MI LTS,Jls,D,Sh – 130 (260)
2E Fulani Herdsmen Ir A/B LMI Jls,Sh – 52
3x 2E Songhai Skirmishers Reg C LI Jls,Sh – 26 (72)

The core of the army is very flexible – 5 units of EHC fronted lancers (who also have D) and good morale. They are the counter punch to all the missile fire that the Boatmen and Spearmen can produce – 5 units of Reg LMI with either S or B and Jls to boot so they can fight as well as shoot). I agree they are a little fragile being C grade.
The Late version has 2 big blocks of 12E LTS,Jls, 1/2Sh and while fragile morale as mostly D they are some serious space eaters and tough as well. And at only 149 points each they cover a lot of the board and can mix it up if need be. The 1E of C allows for a prompt to charge w/o testing waiver. A fair amount of enemy troops has to be deployed to take any of them out. If just LI is sent to hold them up you can chase that off with your 2E LC units of which you have 4. There are also some very decent LI being regular and Jls as well.

edit: in the late version you could also use the 12E blocks without the Jls saving yourself 98 points to be used somewhere else. - another Jls,B,Sh unit perhaps.

Middle version has some tough spearmen as well being tripled armed and regular. Yes, they will lose to pike straight up – but most troops will lose to them straight up.

Certainly an army that Elephants will have to think twice about and it gives flexibility for rough terrain.

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject:

I don't see anything that I would call real shock troops here. It reads a bit like Berber or Andalusian: lots of sturdy troops, plenty of shooting, and good front coverage, but nothing to really lead the charge with. While dart is an interesting twist as a cavalry weapon, you have to get very close to use it, at which point you're quite vulnerable to return missile fire.

I honestly haven't looked at African Warrior, but I would suspect there are better choices in there than this.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Understood about the lack of shock troops, but that was not the point. Not every gamer can lead with shock. You know how effective shooting can be and this army has a plentiful amount of it AND those troops can also fight as well. The EHC is a great follow up troop and can take advantage of all the shooting.

Dart for Cav is certainly not as good as Bow but a little better than just Jls.

I was just trying to stir discussion Smile and show that they are very playable lists here.

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject:

You want discussion!
I think that the list will play like an Andalusian but they do have troop types that are different than Andalusian. More LMI.
HOw would this play against a Knight army.
Ed the Rash
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject:

I think it's as playable as many of the B- / C+ lists. I mentioned Andalusian and Berber, but Ayubbid Egyptian or Mameluke Egyptian also come to mind, as well as Early or Later Ottoman Turk. All very similar. Fun to play, competitive, and never going to break through to the top tier.

And partly I'm jaded. Playing 10 Independent States gave me a whole different perspective on "plentiful" shooting. Wake me up when you get to 150+ figures of shooting and we'll talk. 10IS can lay down 250+ comfortably on 1600 points. Very Happy

Any other African lists that strike your fancy?
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Songhai

I like the list - but would run it very differently. My problem is painting time- maybeCold Wars will get me fired up - plauing FOW every Thursday - but it gets boring - one of the reasons I love Warrior is every game is different - not so much with FOW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: