Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HYW: Chronicles of Otto of the Silver Hand, Ch3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: HYW: Chronicles of Otto of the Silver Hand, Ch3

In the evening light Otto walked slowly along the rampart of Trutz-Drachen castle, his thoughts far away. Suddenly, his concentration was broken by a soft movement to his side. Pauline, his wife, looked deeply into his eyes.
“What troubles you, my love?”
“The Emperor has asked me to move against the Poles.”
“Why the Poles? I thought our relations with them was friendly.”
“ It is tangled politics. Ottokar is stirring up the Poles. I knew that his dislike of the Emperor would bring trouble. Now the Princes along the borders have called on the emperor for help.”
“What must you do?”
“ We will march north to join the Town forces that the Princes have mustered to move against the Pole. My heart is not in this fight. It is just Ottokar’s doing.”
“You know Ottokar. He respects you. Can’t you reason with him?”
“When it comes to the Emperor and Ottokar, there is no reasoning. I understand why the Emperor must help the princes.”
Out of the darkness, a tall imposing figure emerged.
“My lord! Baron Konrad and his forces are camped a days march of here.”
“Thank you, Black Karl, ready our units. We march tomorrow to join him.”
He nodded sharply to Otto; then turned slightly to Pauline, bowed.
“My lady”
He turned away and once again disappeared into the darkness.
“I must ready myself to leave.” Pauline said.
Surprised, Otto replied.
“What!!”
“We have talked about this before. I did not accompany you to Wiltonburg because the Emperor asked me stay with the empress. But now I am here.”
She walked away and followed Black Karl into the dusk.

Weeks later:
In the German camp

Otto(Ed Kollmer) and Konrad walked out of their pavilion into the late afternoon toward a table bedecked with maps.
Black Karl rode up agitated.
“The Poles have outfoxed us. They are just beyond the wood.” (outscouted)
Otto looked up sharply.
“Rouse up the units!”
Black Karl reined his steed and trotted off.
“Otto! This will not be an easy fight.” Konrad growled
Otto moved to the map upon the table.
He viewed the terrain. A brush lay on the right flank, a hill rose on the same flank on the pole side of the flank.
A wood was situated in the German rear area straddling the center and flank line.
Another wood was located on the reflective side of the other wood, with another brush on the Pole right flank.
Otto pointed to the map.
“Position one Town HI unit in the gap here on our right flank between the rough and the wood. They will need some support. Have one of the Imperial Kn units with one of our Feudal Kn hold that flank. Place the town CB unit in the wood here on our center right flank. Between the two woods, spread out the three remaining HI units. Oh! Make sure our Feudal HI are in the middle of the line, the two town units will need some encouragement. Leave gaps for our Knights. My unit and Black Karl’s will face the gap between the right wood and the town HI on the right of the center line. Have the other Imperial Knight face the next gap between our Feudal HI and Town HI. Here on the left flank, the Mercenary CB will cover that wood with the archers to their left on the end. With this cramped area, send the LC CB on a flank march, one unit on each flank. Where will you be ,father.?”
His large mailed finger covered the last gap in the german center line on the left shoulder of the feudal HI and right shoulder of the Town HI.
“HERE!” He roared.
Otto turned to the messengers and dispatched the orders.
Konrad marched off and soon Otto’s squire attended him.
As Otto mounted his charger, Pauline appeared at the pavilion entrance.
“Will you leave without greeting me, Otto?”
He turned and smiled.
“I thought it best to leave you with happier thoughts.”
She returned the smile.
“Come back to me, soon.”
He bowed, slide on his winged helm and trotted away.
As he rounded the wood on the german right flank, he was met by Black Karl.
“Our units will be together between this wood and the first Town HI?” He asked
“Yes!”
“Look! They approach.” He said, pointing across the field.

Medieval German Princes #27 (Ed Kollmer)

2E Otto IrB SHK,L,sh+PA
2E Konrad IrB SHK,L,sh+P
2E Imperial Kn IrB/C SHK/HC,L,sh
2E Imperial Kn IrB/C SHK/HC,L,sh
2E Feudal Kn IrB/C SHK/HC,L,sh
6E Feudal Infantry IrC HI/MI,2HCT,1/2 P
6E Town Infantry RegD,HI/MI,2HCT,1/2 P
6E Mercenary CrossBow,RegC,LMI,CB,
6E Town CrossBow,RegD,LMI,CB,
2E German Mtd Crossbow,LC,CB
2E German Mtd Crossbow,LC,CB
4E Feudal Archers,RegD,LI B
Total
Scounting

Later Polish (Jacob Kovel)
2E CNC EHK, L,sh
4E Mtd CB, LC
2x6E Polish LMI, 2HCW,B,sh
2x6E Infantry HI/MI, 2HCT,sh
4E Noble/gentry HK, L,sh

2E Sub EHK L,sh
3x2E Knights, EHK, L,sh
2x4E Lithurans LC, Jls,B,sh
6E Cumans LC, B,sh

Jagiello (Jacob Kovel), king of Poland , Grand Duke of Lithuanian, crested the crown of the lone hill on the field. He removed his helm and scanned the field.
“ They have created a fort. Their line spans the center between the two woods. Their knights cover the gaps between the units to give them some stiffening. The woods must have troops in it. There camp is guarded by those knights.”
“The Mtd CB will move around the left flank through the rough. The two LMI forest folk units will come next and move though the rough and into the wood and clear it out.
Next will come the two Heavy Infantry units. These units will face part of the wood and the German Hi of the center. Place the Nobles next to the second HI unit. The Nobles will also face the center of the German line.
Have Januzs command cover the rest of the line. His three units of knights will come next. The two Lithuanian unit will cover the right wood. Have the Cumans end the line and cover the right flank.”
He waved the messengers off and soon the Polish commands formed up as ordered.

Otto gazed across the field and saw a knight unit crest the hill.
“Otto! That is Jagiello, their king. He is sizing up the field and our deployment.” Master Nikolaus reported.
“He is no one to underestimate. He has united Poland and Lithuania. He is major force in the east. Even the Brothers give him respect.”
Black Karl trotted over from his unit next to Otto.
“Otto! He is finding our weaknesses. We cannot seat here and wait. We must attack.”
Seemingly, oblivious to the comments around him, Otto continued to survey the field and watch the Polish line form. Slowly, he turned.
“I agree with you Karl. The CB in the right wood will never hold the Polish forest folk. We must strike hard and quick and hope that we can hurt him before he overwhelm us. The choice is win or die quick or wait here and die slowly. See that unit of HK of Nobles and country Gentry. That is our target. We can crush them and hope the wave of fear will disintegrate the line. They are coming on when they are in charge reach, we will strike though the gaps and hammer them.”
“Black Karl! You and the imperial knight will drive into them and break them. I will take the HI next to the HK. If all goes well, I can disorder them and kill them.”
Otto motioned to Nikolaus.
“Inform father of the plan. He will have to hold the left.”
“Otto! Konrad will go. He will not sit and defend (rolled Rash for Sub Gen)!”

The Battle was joined far from the view of both commanders. The Cumans and Lithuanians exchanged shots with the German archers and CB. The Poles taking the worst of it.
The Polish Mtd CB moved through the rough and moved on the camp. The Feudal and Imperial Kn on the far right covered them.
The Polish Forest LMI moved also through the rough and headed toward the wood.
The Polish HI moved up and received fire from the German LMI CB from the wood.
Otto, Black Karl and the Imperial Kn in the center moved up to the gaps in the German line.
As the Poles approached, suddenly the cry went up and the three German knight units charged impetuously. The black banner and white hand of Otto sped through the gaps and into the marching Poles.
The Polish HI startled by the charging SHK but tempered by years of warfare stood firm but were recoiled disordered.
Black Karl and the Imperial knights drove through the Noble/Gentry HK. German knights of steel and thunder shattered the Nobles and routed them. Unfortunately, for the Germans the surrounding units, veterans all held firm.
Konrad, seeing the Black Banner charging, could not hold back. He motioned to his retinue.
“Konrad! Otto said to hold back!” Nikolaus shouted
“Where Otto goes, I go.”
He raised is axe and soon the red dragon banner thundered through the gap as the war cry of Drachenhausen pierced the air
“THE DRAGON, THE DRAGON”
The Polish knights responded and met them lance for lance. However, the Germans prevailed and recoiled the Poles. But the Poles HELD.

Jagiello stared in wonder as he saw the charging Black and Red Banners of the Germans storm through their line and into the Polish units. Four German Kn unit plowed into Poles.
“He is making one lightning strike. Gambling all on one mighty blow. From what I have heard of this Otto of the Silver Hand, he is wise and faithful. Today he shows himself to be audacious. Audacious bordering on insanity.” He proclaimed astonished.

Soon Prince Janusz responded according. He directed the Lithuanian LC and a Polish EHK unit to flank Konrad.
Fortunately, the Town infantry seeing the now flank of the Lithuanian LC to their front charged the LC that was flanking Konrad and drove them off. Unfortunately, the Polish EHK did flank Konrad.
Unexpectedly, in the raging melee Konrad’s mighty red stallion tripped on a slopping stone and fell trapping Konrad on the ground. The Red Dragon Banner fell to the ground (rolled down -3).
The Poles sensing victory, as wolves to the kill, drove swiftly on the Gemans (Jake rolled up +3). The German routed. Alas they met the following Feudal Kn unit coming through the gap and carried them away as well.
Simultaneously, Prince Janusz drove into the flank of Imperial Kn unit, that routed the Noble/gentry HK. The Imperials could not hold and routed uncovering Black Karl’s unit.
Black Karl turned suddenly to see the Imperials being routed by Prince Janusz and saw the Red Dragon Banner fall. Shock and terror filled his gaze.
“The Red Banner is down!” He shouted.
The Feudal Knights with Black Karl viewed with horror as Janusz charged into them.
They broke.
Otto in the heat of melee with the Hi was diverted by the cry that the Dragon Banner was down.
Turning his gaze, he looked to the left and witnesses the disintegration of the German line.
“Back, Sir!!” One-Eyed Hans shouted.
“The day is lost!” He continued.
“Father.” Otto murmured as he reined his horse around and disengaged.

Jagiello observed the unfolding events and instructed his companions.
“Otto has lost his gamble. Pull back our troops. We have made our point.
He turned his charger and gallo
Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Thanks

Thanks for the Writeup Ed.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the reply.
I appreciate it.
EdK
Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: I understand

Ed Kollmer wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
I appreciate it.
EdK

I know. Nothing like spending 4-8 hours writing one of these up and hearing nothing but crickets.

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject:

How true. Very Happy
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject:

Heh heh, this is great stuff.

I played a HYW Theme game earlier this month: E Burgundians (me) vs Anglo-Irish. I got spanked. I still need to tinker with the list.

scott

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject:

I am still tinkering with the list.
I have a list writing team. You should get one Scott.
It is great. Unfortunately for me I think the team is
contemplating getting a new PLAYER Laughing
EDK
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: HYW

Ed
Are you going to be bringing the HYW army to Huzzah?
Thinking of running Italian Condotta - hope to see you there
Enjoyed the write up
Robert
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Robert!
As of now Otto is mustering and training his troops for the trek to Portlandburg.
The Emperor has noticed that his Italian Vassals in Lombardy have become more rebellious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Battle Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: