Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historicon 2014 Results and AAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Historicon 2014 Results and AAR

NICT

1) Derek Downs, Komnenan Byzantine, 67
2) Dave Dietrich, Alexandrian Imperial, 48.5
3) Rob Turnball, Seleucid, 47.3
4) Bill Low, Tepanec, 45
5) Scott McDonald, Moldavian, 44.8
6) Jake Kovel, Medieval Irish, 37.4
7) Dan Woyke, Inca, 36
8) Todd Kaeser, Abyssinian, 33
9) Frank Gilson, Koryo Korean, 29.4
10) Greg Hauser, Ghaznavid, 29.2
11) Jamie White, Early Byzantine, 27.3
12) Rich Kroupa, Hunnic, 26.1
13) Phil Gardocki, Later Polish, 24.8
14) Terry Dix/Larry Daum, Feudal Japanese/Neo-Assyrian Empire, 9.4

Hundred Years War Theme

1) Rob Turnball, Italian Condotta, 25.8
2) Derek Downs, Medieval French, 25.4
3) Rich Kroupa, Medieval German Princes, 23.3
4) Frank Gilson, Medieval French, 19.8
5) Dave Dietrich, HYWE, 17.7
6) Greg Hauser, HYWE, 15.8
7) Jamie White, Anglo-Irish, 15.7
8) Dan Woyke, Medieval French, 14.0
9) Scott McDonald, Medieval Spanish, 13.6
10) Scott Holder, Early Burgundian, 13.4
11) Todd Kaeser, Early Burgundian, 13.3
12) Terry Dix, HYWE, 12.5
13) Marc Cribbs, Later Welsh, 11.7
14) Bill Low, Low Countries, 10.6
15) Phil Gardocki, Anglo-Irish, 8.8
16) Jim Bisigani, Anglo-Irish, 5.4

Sportsman: Dan Woyke

Best Camp: Greg Hauser

Sponsor: Silver Eagle & Greg Hauser

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Good to see all results!
Especially good to see that the tepanacs did well.
My eyes are on the Abyssinian. Is the Ark with them???
Congrats to Robert!.
I remember that Italian army from Portlandia.
I guess I can say I helped make him the Champion that he is.
Congrats also to Derek. Especially since he has seen the light played a Byzantine.
Always happy to see JimB and PhilG.(Oh Phil, I just bought the DVD "Day of the Siege" with those Winged Hussars).
I am really surprised to see that DanW won Sportman. How could such a blood-thirsty scourged earth guy whose idol is Attila the Hun win such an award??? Laughing Laughing Laughing Very Happy
Jake! Where are the Later Polish??
EK
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject:

For 4 of the last 5 years, I've driven back to Hcon solo. Typically I leave 6-ish on Tuesday, drive to Exit 92 on I-64 in Indiana, sleep in the car, then drive to Fredericksburg on Wed.

This time, I took Tuesday off, left at noon and made it to the east side of Charleston by 11:30pm (with the time change), checked into a Motel 6 (that was an experience), then got up the next morning for a more leisurely drive. I stopped and spent a couple of hours at Montpelier, touring Madison's property. I've wanted to do that since the 60s and glad I waited since they spent much of the last decade tearing down the mansion the DuPont family literally built around the place when the bought it in 1901.

I stopped at Total Wine on the way into the convention center to pick up enough Yuengling Porter to last me thru the winter, then had dinner at the seafood bar at Wegman's. All in all, a nice trip back east.

For the most part, I like the Fredericksburg Convention Center. Yeah, it's noisy and that's never gonna change. But nobody's bugging us about having "too much" space. It was nice in that I could have each table stand alone with room to move around on both sides, not the walk around the row hike we deal with at Cold Wars. There's plenty of food onsite but with Wegman's a 3 minute walk away, it's a no-brainer for me. Plus, if you're circumspect about your booze, you can get nice stuff and Wegman's to bring in but the Convention Center staff are far more sensitive about this than the Host staff ever was (or is).

Turnout for us was more or less static, 14 in the NICT and 16 in the Theme. I coordinated with the few 15mm players in our midst and none were coming so I didn't have to puzzle out how to accomodate them. Turnout for any tourney game that didn't involve tracked vehicles was sparse so the issue isn't specific to the Warrior community.

Like every year, I play in the Theme. Frank umped it but since we had an odd number, he also played. As usual, Bill Low supplied loaner armies but so did a couple of other people. We have some amazing lead on our tables and the Theme was no exception.

My goal in the Theme as a player every year is to first, enjoy my three games. Second is to win at least one game. Third is to come in in the top half. Heh heh, well, two out of three ain't bad. I really did enjoy all my games (Phil, Frank and Dan). I took the "extra" two bombards per the Theme rules for Early Burgunian and they worked well. Frank didn't mind putting troops in harms way when it came to the bombards and passed the important waver tests when needed. Same thing with Dan.

I rolled a catastrophe in my last game. Thus, John II the Fearless of the Duchy of Burgundy became John II the Prematurely Dead. Still, I lost to Dan 3-2 because most of my units cost nothing. I took a Derek approach to the list so had 20 units scurrying around and that included eight 4E Reg D LMI, LB, 1/2 Sh units.

We had just a few eyebrow raising rules moments during the NICT but much of our time was spent shaking off the rust and looking up stuff. The Forum here came in handy twice for posts 7 years old that established how we ruled on the items raised.

Terry Dix really saved our bacon on Saturday. Larry Daum bailed on the NICT after Thu so I contacted Terry who came in and played 3 games with his Japanese. That's why the results are listed as they are.

We had the usual slew of purty camps. Greg Hauser won but Bill always brings a boatload of these amazing camps. He has one that's nominally French but Dan's used as Moldavian. It has skeletons coming out of above ground crypts and no, it's not fantasy. Bill explained all the French history symbolism in it but I remember none of it other than I was impressed.

I realize that over the years, our schedule has been such that the "shopping experience" at Hcon passes most of us by. Perhaps I should go back to that because the current shopping experience, at least in the Dealers Room, stinks. There's no product outside of a certain, popular, tourney game that features tracked vehicles and such. That means my spending went to Wegmans.

I told everybody Saturday night that I won't be at Cold Wars, meaning I won't be back until Hcon 15. My 1920pt, weighted Galatian army is already chomping at the bit to play.

scott

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Thank you again, Scott, for all your work.

You are always a joy to play, too...and I probably didn't need to run troops right in front of your bombards...even if I did manage up rolls and passed wavers.
Terry D
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Thanks for a great Hcon

Scott, I was happy to help out. The three games I got in the NICT were all fun. The Theme was fun inspite of my bad math costing me an extra knight unit. It was the first time I have used a knight army since WRG 6th, so I was pleasantly surprised that I got a win amongst the draws. Next years theme is at least filled with armies I know what to do with.
The Japanese are a tough army to win with as you have to set up to defend your camp and really cant take the fight to an enemy unless he is interested in letting you. I was thankful for an excuse to paint the figures that ive had for almost 15 years.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the AAR.
What happened at Mote 6????
Also how did you find stuff on the forum from 6yrs back.
There has been time when I wanted to find something, I couldn't figure out
how to do it.
EdK
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Pictures are up on the forum from Historicon and the NICT - see Album up at the top and look through Tournaments.

1st pic is my Abyssinians vs. Jaimie's E. Byz and they proceed in order from that point - ending in the Title game of Derek vs. Scott McD - 30+ pictures.

Enjoy!

Todd

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Great pictures, Todd. Thanks for posting. Makes me all the more eager to make it there for 2015.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject:

Mark is correct as usual
The pics are great.
I was looking for the Ark. I think I saw it.
Hand it over and no one will get hurt.
EdK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: