Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackhawk1
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: New player

Build my 1st army and I am using feudal Japan. When upgrading my HC to HK I have a choice in cost. It says with general the cost less. 2 question 1st is does the general become part of that unit and 2nd do I get the reduced price with sub generals.
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Hello

Are you playing near north east Florida or are willing to drive to Jacksonville for an occasional game on Saturday?

Any general's staff element only pays for upgrades to the other nongeneral figures on the element. So for your example of upgrading a HC general element to HK, the cost would be 4 instead of 6. This applies for all generals.

The general is part of the staff element. The staff element may be grouped with other elements without paying a command factor to form a unit, but if the general is lost the unit routs. For a single accompanying element, it's not worth paying the command factor but if you were going to attach 11 bodyguard elements then paying the command factor is worth thinking about. Any general's discount for upgrades only applies to the staff element, not to any accompanying bodyguard elements.
blackhawk1
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

I am in Missouri just a bit of a drive for me. Was looking at this list and thinking Gen and at least 1 sub Gen with 3 elements of HK could be some nice punch power foot troops.
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Japanese list making theories

For 25mm Japanese, I've seen two theories:

A. Buy as many units of excellent samurai as you can and accept that you can't cover the whole table front. Anchor your flanks on terrain and pretend you are holding a fort. I've seen people try it, but that style of play is not for me.

B. The northeast Florida theory of reckless samurai, including the variant where flaky Japanese cav is not completely worthless
1. Buy almost all the trashy ID LMI LB and IC LI LB 2HCW/1HCW that you can. You need this trash to fill out the line and go into terrain to stretch out the line. Bravely embrace the joy of IC LMI LB 2HCW/1HCW in large blocks as even more ashigaru trash. Finally buy some real samurai units to finish out the line. A few reserve units might be mounted for speed.
2. Memorize the rules and weapon interactions in great detail so that you can embrace the flakiness that is IB HC LB. If you can use the Japanese samurai calvary effectively against your opponent's list, then this variant works great. Unfortunately, IB HC LB isn't effective against most things that the foot samurai can't already handle. The other option is to choose plain vanilla bow instead of longbow, but that just doesn't have the hitting power of longbow.
blackhawk1
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject:

So than what I am hearing if you have HC than you will need to play fast and loose.
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Where in Misery? I ask because obviously I live here.
blackhawk1
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject:

I am in Warrensburg next to Whiteman Airforce base and UCM/CMSU about and hour out of KCMO.
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject:

I'm 30 minutes east of Jeff City (and work in Jeff). That puts you 2 hours away from me, that's practically next door! For that matter, I could drive there after work on a Friday and still get home at a decent hour.

Email me offlist and we can start talking about getting together. My spring schedule is a nightmare but that too shall pass.

scott
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: More realistic

"So than what I am hearing if you have Japanese HC than you will need to play fast and lose." Smile

Sadly, I deleted an extra vowel and made your sentence more realistic. In theory flaky Japanese cav are great against some other troop types. Even Derek can't get it work right. They aren't bad for dismounting though you need to keep subgenerals around for dismounting prompt points.
blackhawk1
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject:

Yea if I understand this right if I run a lot of the HC I need to run it different than reg Sam inf. I have to move around looking for openings with Cav. were with Sams I have to sit and wait for you to come to me.
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject:

The effective tactic with mounted samurai is to buy them as IB HC LB 2HCW/1HCW and ride around looking for good places to dismount and fight. The speed advantage of being mounted is handy.

What hasn't worked effectively is riding around as IB HC LB and trying to fight mounted. It's ok as a support unit and to follow up a samurai charge, but other than that they seem to be just a rout looking for an excuse to happen. Sad
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Japanese mounted role

The role of Japanese mounted is not necessarily to beat anything...but rather to make life hard for enemy LI who otherwise can platoon to easily pin your foot troops.

I favor the 'fill the table with trash' Japanese army, with about 4 solid, large Samurai units...in 2 commands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: