Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schenectady NY, Oct 3: 8th annual Warrior at C5N
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject:

Splendid day of Warrior today. Some of the best games I have had ever - thanks, guys.

After a couple of last-minute emergencies dropped folks from the field (we missed you guys!), 10 folks met for the 3-round tournament. Special credit on several fronts: to the many (Greg Hauser, Todd Kaeser, Marc Cribbs) with long drives and a very long day; to Bill Low with a somewhat shorter drive but also tireless cheerleading and provosion of armies to half the field; to both Bill and Greg for terrain and ground cloths - thanks, folks. And to Jevon for playing less than 48h after cancer surgery - kudos!

Lots of smiles: no arguments, lots of friendship. I am sure I made at least one umpiring mistake; if it was at your table, sorry Smile. [The only issue that caused any real irritation is the definition of 'their' in the interpenetration to front or rear' rule - we could really use a definitive ruling on this, so I will try to remember to put the Q in the rules section.]

I gave Ghaznavids their first trial with mixed results: in my first game Todd could not buy any die roll other than a 1 (wavers) or 2 (regular evades - five in a row of those!) and it was brief and ugly. Then I faced Fred Stratton's Assyrians: Reg B JLS, B, Sh that fight two full ranks is *not* what an elephant army wants! I got too aggressive with my CinC early and paid a heavy toll: Fred shot away the supporting LHI and although I did not rout on contact (lucky) I did have to break off and there was no way to plug the gap when I did not go long, so I got hit by those said LMI in the rear (!) and failed many wavers including putting a Sub's command on retreat before it had even made an approach move (!). However, a 3-El unit and some LHI had shot an adjacent LMI block to disorder and routed that; everything that saw that also shook, including the CinC when he came to rally it , and the El could follow-through into the flank of a second block and some chariots, routing them all - so at one stage around bound 3 both armies had our CinC's commands also on retreat. Turns out that camps are _destroyed_ when on retreat, so even though we both recovered unit, the commands stayed on retreat because the camps were lost!

I thought that I had 'won' 900 to 893, but then we realised there was another shaken LI unit on the other side from the action, so I lost 900 to 908!

Game 3 I faced Greg Hauser's Yuan - I still think that I should get to roll for Yuan's Mongols deciding to join Ewan's side - behind a wall of brush and outscouting me to seize the large central hill with 6-crew stonethrowers. Oh, and dismounted Mongols as Reg B HI LTS, B, Sh backed by MI JLS, B, Sh. Great.

Plan A was to take a shot with my IrrB elephants and charge some close foot. Took the expected 2 cpf, but then rolled a 1 - whole attack flank stymied. That unit routed pretty fast but went offtable without further morale damage. I got careless with the CinC - yes, again - and he ended up halted taking bombard shots until he shook; on my side I eventually pushed through the brush with Dailami and pinned a LC unit against some artilllery to kill it, but no-one cared. 2-1 loss. Two very, very fun and tight (although also very different - slugfest vs intricate manouvre) games - thanks, guys.

Fred Stratton took home the very handsome trophy, tied with Bill Low at the top but having won thir head-to-head match in the final round (by routing pike-armed elephants with a heavy chariot, heads-up and on contact, despite having a pike block also hitting the chariot flank...
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject:

p.s. Yes, I know, I owe comments on NICT lists and I owe Scott some testing on Roman theme stuff. Working on geting time...
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Interpenetrate

You mean what does:
"Troops can interpenetrate another friendly body directly to their front or rear in any of the following circumstances:"
mean?

The word "their" refers to the initial "Troops" and not to "another friendly body".

Frank
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Frank - I agree, and so ruled, but I (and others, including the player against whom I ruled) have had it ruled otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: