Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Future of Cold Wars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: The Future of Cold Wars

So it seems that there's some reasonable doubt about whether or not there wil even be a Cold Wars 2016. As someone who has to commit a cross country plane ticket to be there and then pray to the weather gods this level of doubt is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I'll focus my plans on Historicon 2016 instead.

I do expect Cold Wars to continue. It may even be at the Host Resort, which has changed ownership before during our tenure there. And HMGS may, in teh future, find another venue. I'm old enough (as are most of us) to remember Baltimore, Harrisburg, and Valley Forge.

For those of you who are not HMGS members, here's the email the membership received this week:

Quote:
To the Membership:

The Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center (the "Host") is going up for auction. The HMGS, Inc. Board of Directors concluded a teleconference Sunday, December 6, 2015, which addressed the upcoming potential sale of the Host, the site of Cold Wars and Fall-In. The discussion centered on our current contractual obligations and the alternatives available to us. While the situation is still developing and very unclear at this point, we would like to provide a brief update to the membership.

What we know:
On December 3, 2015 it was publicly announced that the Host was listed for auction. The auction starts on December 14, 2015 and ends on December 16, 2015. Representatives from the Host informed us of the pending auction on the same day that the public announcement was made. We were informed that they knew of the plans since Thanksgiving, but were not allowed to divulge this information. The bidding will start at $2.7 million, but there is an undisclosed minimum sale price which also needs to be met. Several interested parties have already made site visits to the Host, and several more are scheduled this week.

Contract Background
HMGS, Inc. has been at the Host since 1992, almost 24 years, and this is not the first time the Host has experienced a change of ownership. The current convention contracts for Cold Wars 2016, Fall In! 2016, Cold Wars 2017, and Fall In! 2017 were all signed in November 2013. The language in these contracts includes a cancellation liability for both parties on a sliding scale, in which the penalty increases as the convention date approaches. With the exception of Fall In! 2017, all three other conventions are already in the penalty phase if a cancellation is initiated. We just renegotiated the Fall In! 2017 contract, and have until October 2016 to cancel Fall In! 2017 with no penalty.

Options and Alternatives
At this point, the Host has not cancelled Cold Wars 2016. HMGS, Inc. also cannot initiate a cancellation of the convention without incurring a substantial monetary penalty, something which this Board will not consider. While we hope for the best, we have planned for the worst. The Board has already been actively looking for viable alternative sites to the Host. In fact, some of these locations have already submitted proposals on future dates for us to consider. We will not know or have any clearer information until December 16th. Until that time, we will be calling each of the alternative sites on our short list to find out if they have any available convention dates in March or April 2016. Once we know the results of the auction, we will also need to re-evaluate the status of our contracts if indeed there is a new owner of the Host.

Our Goal
Our goal is to run an outstanding Cold Wars 2016 convention, whether it is at the Host, or another location. We have been thrown a curve ball, and time is short, but we have every intention, and will make every effort to make this happen. In effect, this is one of the main purposes for our cash reserves. However, in the event that the convention cannot be held due to circumstances beyond our control, it should be made clear that any pre-registrations or pre-payments to HMGS, Inc. by attendees as well as vendors will be reimbursed. We will have another update to the membership as soon as any new relevant information is received.

Respectfully,

John Spiess
HMGS, Inc. Director of Communications
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject:

Very interesting. Wish I had some insights.
Terry D
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject:

I'm hoping that this gets resolved quickly, otherwise I will probably have to forego coldwars. I would think that HMGS will have a decision by mid Jan. If there is an event I am looking for a partner for the doubles. I have 2000 +points of samurai painted
scott holder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:

We will know more by Friday the 17th. More = who bought the place. This assumes somebody meets the minimum price.

FWIW, as Tourney Coordinator, I'm working as if nothing's changed both in terms of location and date. The only way the date would change would be a location change.

If I get anything from the convention staff/HMGS about this, I'll pass it along.

scott

Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject:

I feel fairly certain that the sky is not falling...and that either Cold Wars will happen on its date at the Host, or a new venue will be found within a weekend either side.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Frank Gilson wrote:
I feel fairly certain that the sky is not falling...and that either Cold Wars will happen on its date at the Host, or a new venue will be found within a weekend either side.

Agreed. But the "within a weekend either side" does me no good when I'd like to be buying plane tickets approximately now.

It's tough for me to manage Cold Wars and Historicon in the same year, so this just makes the choice easy for me. I'll see you all at Historicon.
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Well, according to some dude on The Miniatures Page who apparently found some online link to the auction, the high bid for the Host was 8.3 million...not enough to reach the still-unknown reserve price.

If you want to engage in speculation as to what's next, head over there and engage in one of the eleventy hundred threads devoted to the topic. Rolling Eyes Shocked

As usual, if I hear anything from HMGS, I'll post here.

scott

scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Some dude from The Miniatures Page posted his notes from the membership meeting at Cold Wars. The whole thread is here:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=415258

The specifics about the Host and table rentals I'll paste:

Quote:
Three hotel chains are in negotiations to buy the host, two are national changes one is a regional chain. THE HOST sales rep says that all of them will NOT tear the host down but will repair and restore it bit by bit, one section at a time. The guest rooms will need the majority of the work, but the meeting rooms will need not much more than some new carpets and cosmetic changes. The heating and air conditioning plant will be replace and some electrical work done and the bathrooms repaired. This was reported by the Bod who said that the impact on us would be, if we stayed, that the hotel would lose 60 rooms at a time as they were reconditioned, but that could be taken up by surrounding hotels. They did say that the room rate then would, according to the host, go up to $149 USD a night.

The BOD also said they were looking at other venues including YORK convention center and Lancaster Convention Center, both of whom had been rejected previously and Dave Waxtel is investigating a location in Somerset County NJ. No name was mentioned.

I had a report from the owner of the Continental hotel who is heavily involved with the local hotel organization that the host is in receivership (or soon will be) to the bank. This was not said at the meeting.

The Bod announced that Fall in 2016 will be at the host and Cold Wars 2017 will be there also. After that it would be as negotiations with the host and new owners progressed.

The BOD said they were looking at a cost saving measure of buying tables for the convention. They said their largest expense each year was $60,000 USD for table and chair rental. They were investigating buying these (folding chairs) and it would cost about $25,000 USD total. The original plan, (pre-auction) was to store these at The Lancaster Host and let the Host Use them for other events and the host would pay us a fee when this was done and that the cost of the purchase would then be amortized over about four years. This plan was put in abeyance after the auction kerfuffle, because it was realized that if we did that the tables and chairs would be seized if a foreclosure was processed, and it did not mater if we owned them.

If a bank or agency does this, the release of them would not take place till all creditors with outstanding charges against the hotel were satisfied, and any assets or possessions on site would be part of "inventory" and so sold off.

No discussion was made of the chairs and table rentals for Historicon in Fredericksburg and the rental cost was not broken out for that, nor was it said if the tables and chairs allegedly stored at the host (if it came to pass) would be trucked down to Virginia) nor the cost of haulage and dunnage for that.

scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

HMGS sent out a formal communication on the subject of the Host. Pertinent bits as follows:

Quote:
What we know:

After the auction ended with no buyers meeting the minimum sale price, several potential buyers have continued to negotiate with the Host owners over the last few months. Two of these are nationally known hotel chains who plan to keep the Host in operation as a hotel. They have been examining the Host financial records and inspecting the building facilities. Some of the more observant of you may have noticed one such group over the weekend at Cold Wars.

We have been informed by Host management that the potential buyers all plan to renovate the building piecemeal starting with the HVAC and other essential internal systems. Rooms will also be updated and modernized. If this occurs, we will lose a percentage of rooms as the room upgrade will occur in phases. However, we are not filling the hotel now as many attendees stay elsewhere due to the conditions at the Host. The Host has essentially waived the room night requirement since many of their rooms are not usable. Host management believes the sale will take place within the next two months. For HMGS, the timing is very important since we would need ample time to plan Fall-In!, whether it is at the Host or elsewhere. Should a buyer sink considerable capital into the Host the new owner may also elect to not honor the existing contracts as part of the terms of sale. We expect them to want to renegotiate our contracts to recoup some of their expenses.

Options and Alternatives:

At this point, the Host has not cancelled any future contracts, so Fall-In! 2016 and Cold Wars 2017 will go on as planned unless the Host or the new management cancels our existing contracts or cannot provide a usable facility. As you know, HMGS, Inc. cannot initiate a cancellation of either convention without incurring a substantial monetary penalty. We found alternate venues for Cold Wars 2016 and had cost feasible proposals in hand in December. We were prepared to move Cold Wars 2016 if necessary.

The Board has decided to pursue an alternate site for Fall-In! 2017 with proposals due for review at Historicon this summer. By then, we expect the Host’s future to be known and any work that has gone into considering alternate sites will expedite selection of a site for Cold Wars 17 and Fall-In! 16 should it be necessary.

scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

The Host has now been sold. The purchase is Friendwell Management out of Edison NJ:
http://www.friendwell.com/

Per previous HMGS communications, Friendwell will start renovating blocks of rooms, 40-60 at a time. Meeting room renovations will also occur but be scheduled around existing contracts. That means theoretically they won't pull what the Host has pulled over the years: yanking a major room out from under us.

Friendwell will honor the Host's existing contracts so HMGS activities already scheduled there will occur.

My guess is HMGS will now work on future dates for Cold Wars and Fall In to be held at the Host.

scott

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject:

The news just keeps getting better. Got this in my inbox today:
Quote:
As you may have heard a plumbing line ruptured in the Host on Saturday. Assorted on line accounts can be found here:

http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/lancaster-host-condemned-after-major-water-main-break-collapses-ceilings/article_b84f5ff2-252f-11e6-88fb-ffb8c2d14621.html

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/05/lancaster_host_resort_closed_b.html

http://fox43.com/2016/05/29/hundreds-evacuated-from-lancaster-host-resort-after-ceiling-collapse/

In spite of the overblown news reports the HOST has power and water restored Monday.

We spoke with Host management Tuesday and can add the following details:

The Host is currently open for business but with certain areas inaccessible due to flooding and water damage.

The Host had two [2] water pipes break; one on the 400 level and one on the 600 level which caused some of the drop ceiling to come down in the hallways.

Both a plumbing company and a restoration company are on site making repairs.
The Host is planning to reopen the affected areas by Monday 6/6 at the latest.

We will update you if there is any new information, especially as regards to Fall IN 2016, and the possibly accelerated remodeling.

Kevin Kelley
For HMGS Board of Directors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: