Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mongol -- Turkish horse archers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryEssick
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Mongol -- Turkish horse archers

There is an odd note about using only 8 elements of Turkish horse archers as Irr if any are upgraded to Reg. Should I understand that to mean a player can use the full compliment of Turkish horse archers as up to 8 elements Irr and the remainder (potentially all 32 elements) as Reg?

Trying to put together a Mongol army list that is legal for Siege of Augusta over the MLK weekend. Right now my plan is CinC as 2E Reg A HC, SG as 2E Reg A HC, 2x2E Reg B HC, 2x2E Reg C HC, 8x4E Reg C Mongol LC and 8x4E Reg C Turkish LC.

Army will probably play like c**p, particularly with me running it since I play Warrior at most once a year. The list depends on my having correctly read the note about Reg Turkish horse archers.

Thanks.
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mongol -- Turkish horse archers

LarryEssick wrote:
There is an odd note about using only 8 elements of Turkish horse archers as Irr if any are upgraded to Reg. Should I understand that to mean a player can use the full compliment of Turkish horse archers as up to 8 elements Irr and the remainder (potentially all 32 elements) as Reg?

That's the way I read it.

scott

LarryEssick
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Scott. Guess it is time to paint.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Scott is correct. I agree the wording is odd, something to fix when we revisit Oriental Warrior.

You also need no Turkish Sub if you have fewer than 13E of Irr Turkish horse archers.

The Turks are useful to really bulk out the gross total of scouting points.

Frank
LarryEssick
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject:

It looks like whomever wrote the original list had trouble deciding on when the * should kick in. In one sentence it is 12E and on the next it is 8E. Probably should be the same number in both sentences.

Since 13E triggers the SG it seems rational that no SG puts maximum number of Irr LC at 12E when no SG is present -- caused either by electing to not use the SG or by fielding any of the LC as Reg.

But, Scott is right, the rules suck. From my perspective I didn't write them, I just play them (poorly).
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject:

"If any Turks are upgraded to Reg, then no Turkish Sub General is allowed..."
LarryEssick
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Exactly Frank.

So how then the 8 Irr LC maximum w/o the SG if any are Reg? That's the point. I can equally field 12 Irr LC w/o the SG by virtue of the prior sentence. So how did the list writer go from 12 down to 8? Particularly questionable since the implication is that the 8 Irr LC maximum is the result of there being no SG.

The whole question is resolved by Scott's initial answer since I can have up to the 32E all as Reg. However the confusion introduced by the "and thus no more than 8" can be eliminated by either changing the 12 in the prior sentence to 8 or changing the 8 in the quoted sentence to 12.

Fess up, you wrote the list didn't you and now you're feeling obliged to defend wording that makes no sense. Its alright, we all still love you -- or at least tolerate, I mean like, you. Laughing
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Er, um, I wrote the list. I have a post here when I concluded the list project explaining who did what. The lists are me and Bill.

scott

LarryEssick
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Well, I'm glad we've got that straightened out. Razz

Seriously, the emoticon is supposed to show that I was joking.

Really, who wrote the list isn't very important to me. Neither is speculating on the 12 v 8 number or the cryptic reason that no SG enables 12E if all are Irr but only 8E Irr if any are Reg. All that really mattered to me was that whatever idea was meant to be conveyed didn't come through and that it was correct to understand the lines as allowing all 32E as Reg.

All the rest of it is just the result of lousy football bowl matchups failing to keep my attention and the absence of any decent movies willing to run against Star Wars (although I will give props to Creed as a good effort to reboot the Rocky movies).

In any case, I've got 16 horses in various states of completion and need to manage 8 more. Then there are all the riders to finish -- none of which are even primed. Time to paint.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject:

"From my perspective I didn't write them, I just play them (poorly)"
Hummm....... so he plays them poorly...........hummm....
Maybe this is my chance to beat someone.......... Evil or Very Mad
How would I ever get to Augusta....... Crying or Very sad
LarryEssick
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Easiest way is to fly to Columbia, SC then drive 90 minutes south. Smile

Not to worry. Having made the wise Rolling Eyes choice to have children again later in life they are now finishing high school and about to head off to college. I am anticipating a few more opportunities to demonstrate my lack of skill in the near future. Very Happy
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject:

I wish it was that easy.
Crying or Very sad
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Even easier

Fly to Jacksonville and then ride to Augusta with Derek, Steve, and me. Smile
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Best wishes to all...however rusty...
LarryEssick
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Tournament result

Just a quick note of thanks for the insight on Mongols. Played 3 rounds at Siege of Augusta gaining 5-0 wins against Romans and Byzantines and drawing 0-0 against some medieval knight army.

Derek was especially helpful in the first game as he provided advice on dismounting (which I had discounted because I did not have figures) leading me to raid an army box for make-do figures. Being rusty and not working through the combat tables is the primary cause of the 0-0 draw. I missed the opportunity to create havoc and likely grab a win when EHK dismounted in front of my HC and I failed to charge.

Overall it was good enough for 3d place overall so I cannot complain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: