Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mongol -- Turkish horse archers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself and shook off a lot of rust!
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Granada

The current fashion of the month rage of Granada was that list I was running.

You didn't miss an opportunity on dismounted knights because the adjacent knight was chasing away your general. Nobody likes nonimpetuous charges into steady foot. 5@5 is 20, 6@3 is 15. No room to expand so second round is 3 @ 3 vs 6 @ 1. All EHI foot is annoying on the second bound.
LarryEssick
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject:

Well, there you go then. I guess I played it right.

After the game I thought that I had remembered them dismounting while in charge reach. I was wondering if I should have charged while they were still disordered hitting them 5@6 v 6@1.

Better to see that I played it right during the game than that my memory is failing so soon after the game. A failing memory gives me all sorts of excuses.... Very Happy
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject:

Having memory lapses after the games is understandable.
My memory lapses usually happen DURING the game. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: More on the 0-0 draw

Those three knights started off dismounted and just one missed his counter to remount. Impetuously charging against disordered knights in that tight space was not a good choice and I think you rightly chose to skirmish away that bound.

It's funny, but that 0 - 0 draw was probably one of the better played games we've had over the years. You didn't take any unnecessary risks, denied me any opportunity to follow up on lucky shooting dice, and I did the same in return, stayed on my hill and in the woods, kept my bowman shielded, didn't take risks, etc. The Oracle would have been amazed even, no weird charges with either CinC.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: More on the 0-0 draw

jamiepwhite wrote:
Those three knights started off dismounted and just one missed his counter to remount.

Remounting does not require a prompt. Only dismounting must be prompted.
LarryEssick
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Jamie notes that the knights missed a counter. For whatever reason he must have elected to pass by the approach phase. Regardless, as I remember it we discussed several times that the dismount but not the remount required prompting. I'm certain that prompting had nothing to do with the remount.
Terry D
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: More on the 0-0 draw

jamiepwhite wrote:
Those three knights started off dismounted and just one missed his counter to remount. Impetuously charging against disordered knights in that tight space was not a good choice and I think you rightly chose to skirmish away that bound.

It's funny, but that 0 - 0 draw was probably one of the better played games we've had over the years. You didn't take any unnecessary risks, denied me any opportunity to follow up on lucky shooting dice, and I did the same in return, stayed on my hill and in the woods, kept my bowman shielded, didn't take risks, etc. The Oracle would have been amazed even, no weird charges with either CinC.

You had a hill and a forest? Did he not have double the scouting points to remove terrain?
jamiepwhite
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: terrain

210 scouting to 36 scouting, he had double but I think he forgot about the list rule to remove terrain. I had a brush to camp on the other side, if he was removing terrain he probably would have removed the brush and hill.

As I remember, Larry's mounted was moving second, so I stayed still during approaches and just relied on the RA/B Granada knights making counters to remount. Two remounted, which was good enough.

That pesky brush was in the way, so I couldn't charge impetuous and it made Larry disordered when he charged.

Here's a little diagram of my side

Brush................Hill...................Woods

The bow and assorted foot were on the hill and strung out to the woods, the dismounted knights were tucked in facing the flank behind the hill. Larry rode over the brush and was trying to get an advantage on the stationary knights.

Actually, you do raise an interesting question about removing terrain. If you had been Larry, what you have removed? I would definitely remove the hill, but the brush or woods is a tough call.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: table side choice

Well, first off is table side choice...I attempt to get the side with the hill (if we're using the updated NASAMW deployment rules). With +3 on the die roll I should get it as Mongol.

That said, I would have used the Mongol list rules to remove the Woods and the Hill, absolutely...and then sent a flank march down the flank with the Brush as that's your only anchoring terrain left...of course I may have failed to remove either or both of the hill and woods based on die rolls!

Frank
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: My Mongol List

Here follows my Mongol list (working version) with some commentary:
CinC PA 2E Reg A/B HC/MC L,B,Sh/L,B 185
Sub P 2E Reg A EHC/HC L,B,Sh 134
Sub P 2E Reg A/B EHC/MC L,B,Sh/L,B 119
3x4E Reg C HC/MC L,B,Sh/L,B 390
3x 2E Reg B LC JLS,B/B 126
5x6E Reg C LC B 410
8E Irr C LC B (Turks) 89
6E Reg C LC B (Turks) 82
4E Reg C LC B (Turks) 58 = 1593
17 units, 3 cmds, 180 scouting
The Turks are there to round out scouting point total and table coverage. They don't do anything fancy. The third general is there to make sure I can send two flank marches in strength (very rare) or at least keep two generals on table and send one flank march in strength.

180 scouting points should do what you want when you need to, double the enemy in order to use the list rule to remove 1 or 2 pieces of terrain. You'll also get a benefit of outscouting most opponents. Enemy that are not doubled by you because they have a lot of scouting of their own will have to thus have a lot of LC and similar problems with terrain that you have.

There is a core of loose order cavalry that will very often end up fighting dismounted as HI/MI LTS,B,Sh/LTS,B, very strong.

With the army you need to be able to 'ignore' most of the table, and coordinate a solid flank march against the flank you also attack with your remaining loose order cavalry.

If you don't flank march, you'll find you have trouble against most armies getting any kind of result.

Remove the terrrain. Flank March. Support the arrival with the pressure you have that remains.

Frank
Terry D
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: terrain

jamiepwhite wrote:
210 scouting to 36 scouting, he had double but I think he forgot about the list rule to remove terrain. I had a brush to camp on the other side, if he was removing terrain he probably would have removed the brush and hill.

As I remember, Larry's mounted was moving second, so I stayed still during approaches and just relied on the RA/B Granada knights making counters to remount. Two remounted, which was good enough.

That pesky brush was in the way, so I couldn't charge impetuous and it made Larry disordered when he charged.

Here's a little diagram of my side

Brush................Hill...................Woods

The bow and assorted foot were on the hill and strung out to the woods, the dismounted knights were tucked in facing the flank behind the hill. Larry rode over the brush and was trying to get an advantage on the stationary knights.

Actually, you do raise an interesting question about removing terrain. If you had been Larry, what you have removed? I would definitely remove the hill, but the brush or woods is a tough call.

Hill and woods. The brush can be shot thru and charged thru at normal speed.
Terry D
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: My Mongol List

Frank Gilson wrote:
Here follows my Mongol list (working version) with some commentary:
CinC PA 2E Reg A/B HC/MC L,B,Sh/L,B 185
Sub P 2E Reg A EHC/HC L,B,Sh 134
Sub P 2E Reg A/B EHC/MC L,B,Sh/L,B 119
3x4E Reg C HC/MC L,B,Sh/L,B 390
3x 2E Reg B LC JLS,B/B 126
5x6E Reg C LC B 410
8E Irr C LC B (Turks) 89
6E Reg C LC B (Turks) 82
4E Reg C LC B (Turks) 58 = 1593
17 units, 3 cmds, 180 scouting
The Turks are there to round out scouting point total and table coverage. They don't do anything fancy. The third general is there to make sure I can send two flank marches in strength (very rare) or at least keep two generals on table and send one flank march in strength.

180 scouting points should do what you want when you need to, double the enemy in order to use the list rule to remove 1 or 2 pieces of terrain. You'll also get a benefit of outscouting most opponents. Enemy that are not doubled by you because they have a lot of scouting of their own will have to thus have a lot of LC and similar problems with terrain that you have.

There is a core of loose order cavalry that will very often end up fighting dismounted as HI/MI LTS,B,Sh/LTS,B, very strong.

With the army you need to be able to 'ignore' most of the table, and coordinate a solid flank march against the flank you also attack with your remaining loose order cavalry.

If you don't flank march, you'll find you have trouble against most armies getting any kind of result.

Remove the terrrain. Flank March. Support the arrival with the pressure you have that remains.

Frank

The EHC are wasted points, you then have non skirmishing cav that can't get out of the way of knights shc or el. Hc discounts the same as shc.
You need a Turk SG with that many Turk lc, except you have upgraded some to reg and then you can't get a Turk sg. As far as I can see Scott hasn't answered just how many Turk lc can be upgraded to reg. you can have lcm or mcm and proof a couple of uninits for dis ordered and disordered again.

Last edited by Terry D on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Interesting points

You'll note I only have EHC on the two sub generals at a 'waste' of only 8 points. I don't routinely put generals in danger of needing to adopt skirmish formation, and should I make such a mistake I can roll a 2-6 to counter. One of them (or possibly both) will be leading a flank march and be out of danger in any event for some time. EHC is crucial in some combat factors...so I use a little bit to gain that 'sometimes' advantage.

No Turk SG is permitted as I have upgraded some Turk LC to Reg, AND no Turkish SG is necessary as I do not have over 12E of Irr Turkish LC. I have the 8E Irr max permitted (as I have upgraded some to Reg).

You'll note I have purchased the 36 native Mongol LC elements already, and, unable to get any more, must turn to the Turks.

Yes, I could get some LCm or MCm and then make some Mongol cav camel proof, that's a gimmick that can be done. I've tried it in the past and the 'slowness' of the camels is a handicap for them, plus no savvy (most now) opponent would let you get a cheap disorder plus then disorder from shooting...so no camels.
LarryEssick
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject:

I knew about the list rule to remove terrain but did not know how it worked with pre-set terrain. I made a passing inquiry about it to Derek before the tournament started without pressing it and without getting a clear "here's how you do it now" type of answer.

Chalk it up to re-learning the game. I still don't know the answer. Regardless, I played all 3 games on the tables as they were without moving any of the terrain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Army Lists All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: