Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Council of Five Nations - Sept 24, 2016 - 9th Annual
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Huh. Works for me - must be a permission thing.

Try this one:

https://goo.gl/photos/tVqv3pK9Tg8TzYpv5
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject:

Not that I am curious.....
But in the words of Spock
"I am understandably curious" of how I did.
I know I didn't win but I want to see how far I am off the mark Very Happy
EK
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject:

You weren't last, Ed Smile
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Whew!!! Laughing
That was close!!!!
EK
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Fun tournament

Had a blast - only regret is the last game against mongol - dislike playing Mongol intensely - had a billiard table - he had an unreliable general and swung hit entire army to that flank - on which I had 3 - 4 man LC units - I retreated them and asked if he wanted to fight.
There did not seem any interest and I did not feel like chasing Mongol all evening (dangerous pursuit when outscouted) - that being said - i probably should have tried to kill some lc - while avoiding his heavies - but given no terrain and poorer mounted than hi - plus the Mongol rules it seemed like an excecise in frustration. I think I need to switch to an army with all the free list rules - as they all come free - maybe Byzantine - but I know I dread facing Mongol and Byzantine - because I can neither catch them nor match them - so have to hope to get lucky or face someone who wants to win. I do not hereby suggest anything about my opponent - he only wanted fight he could not lose and and I was trying not to have fights I could not win. However - I am struggling with what armies to run that can hold their own, but do not get totally neutralized - The third game was my first 0-0 draww since 1987, and quite frankly given the table one I was happy to take (in 20 min) - so my concern is what do I run that allows me to enjoy the game while not walking away from a table after 20 minutes rejoicing in the fact I did not waste an entire evening chasing an army that I cannot beat straight up - HC heats chariots - and his light cav beats mine in every way (but costs the same on a element by element base). Guess I am not as prepared to use time mindlessly as I once was - maybe we should charge for cav that fights rank and a half- and extra point per figure on a base for every special rule it has - so mongols would cost 4 pointe extra at least per figure -Byzantines at least a couple of points and a bunch of my Seluicids at least one point extra - either way I have always tried to take armies that are not Rock Paper Scissors - that is getting harder - unless I paint Byzantine - or play a later Mongol army where I pick all the fights.
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Mongols don't generally worry me, and I know that Terry didn't even bring the dismounts that are (IMNSHO) one of the strongest features.

Byzantines *do* worry me. I've been looking for a while, and I don't see what they are vulnerable to; that's a problem.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Council

Mongol lacks punch, Byzantine lacks nothing
Ewan McNay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Agree; Byz also gets rules that enhance a combined-arms approach. It seems to me that you need to have a line of troops that can defeat *both* double-armed, two-rank spearmen _and_ manouvreable lancers; perhaps pike would have the best shot? Food for thought, for sure.
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject:

a) Be more specific than "Byzantine". I seriously doubt you're referring to the Thematic list, and

b) feel free to experiment with stuff. I don't consider any of what I'm reading to be new or quite frankly "fixable" even if you assume it's a fundamental problem in the first place. That being said, nothing's stopping anybody from playing a game or 12 to test out some alternative ideas. If you think adding points to elements/units/bodies that get special benefits might "fix" something, pleasepleasepleaseplease step up and test it out in games.

I know this is hard given our locations and infrequency of playing. Right now the only group that does anything like this is the Florida group.

We're digressing on this thread. Shocked

scott

Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject:

C5N - with great thanks to Ewan for running the event. It was always great to see such quality people and the sportsmanship was excellent as usual.

Matt and I are running a competition for fastest to paint Zulu for Matt and Tepanec for me. It has been a whirlwind of a summer painting for me - 1400 points completed in 2 months, but alas the camp is not complete yet..... I fielded my fair share of ridicule Smile - appropriately of course.

A case of yuengling awaits the winner Shocked

I faced Seleucid (Tim Gile back from retirement) and I believe I rolled up in just about every roll and Tim wasn't able to stand the amount of slings rolling up. 5-2.

Ewan just absolutely rolled me over with his Aztec army. His 5 units of 2HCT,Jls,Sh units were just monsters vs. my army and my mistake cost me the middle. 5-0

Faced Matt K and his 100YW at the end and Matt made a great bid by charging a unit of jaguars and they rolled a 1 and routed - causing another shake and eventual break. My rolls recovered and I was just able to grind the English down. 5-2 but super fun to play against Matt again.

Todd K

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: