Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Army Travel Case (Flying)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Playing Aids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Army Travel Case (Flying)

Like most of us, my armies are stored in heavy duty, multi-drawer tool boxes. Other than the overall weight of any given box, the main drawback to using them is if you fly: you can't bring any army onto a plane that way.

With Hcon coming up and the need for me to bring back an army, I've been casting about for something. I looked at the tons of travel cases dedicated to miniatures but as you'd expect, the vast majority are for single-mounted figures. Those that aren't still might not fit the requirements of a full Warrior list, that being big enough to house the lead but small enough to fit under the seat in front of you. Plus, they tended to cost a small fortune.

Mark Stone's been flying with lead for a while now. At Cold Wars 2019, He showed my these two, stack-able plastic boxes that worked nicely. I wrote down what little info was on one, Trophy No. 20537, but couldn't find them online. Mark did tell me that he bought them somewhere a loooooong time ago. I don't recall where he bought them or what they were actually made for.

I then scoured the internet looking for something. The key are the height requirement for any given "layer". For most infantry without stuff sticking way up in the air, it's at most 2.5". For cavalry it's 3.5". Elephants and some models are more but for my immediate purposes, I didn't care about elephants.

The only thing I found that met these requirements was this:
https://www.flambeaucases.com/expandable-building-box.aspx

It's slick in that it's the same design concept as our toolboxes but those bottom layers are expandable. Furthermore, the height of each layer works, thus, tall stuff in the top, non-tall stuff in those trays on the bottom.

It's a little pricey but that's not the real issue: it won't fit under an airline seat. Although airlines differ, they all hover around 8" as the height under the seat in front of you. This box clearly won't fit.

I'd seen an organizer with removable innards that I thought might work and Home Despot had em in stock so I thought I would at least go look at em. They weren't tall enough for the non-tall stuff so were a non-starter. But the evil big box store did have something:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-10-Compartment-Interlocking-Small-Parts-Organizer-in-Black-235587/302939645

I measured the inside height and it was right around 3.5". The $10 price couldn't be beat so I figured I'd buy one and see.

This thing is great! I fit far more in one than I thought (pictures to be posted later). The downside is that the bottom has some raised sections so not everything is flat. You could mitigate this by either putting a thing sheet of metal down there or some magetic "carpet". Be careful tho, you don't have a lot of head room up top.

Better still: they stack and clip together while stacked. All you need to do is put a strap and handle around two of them and you're set. I've been able to put my 1760pt Post-Mongol Russian army and camp in two of em.

The overall height of each box is 3.7" which means two of em stacked will easily fit under the seat in front of you on a plane.

scott

Terry D
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Those do look great. I'll have get a couple for my mongols. Thank you Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Playing Aids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: