Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historicon 2016 Results and AAR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Historicon 2016 Results and AAR

NICT

1) Derek Downs, Komnenan Byzantine, 44
2) Rich Kroupa, Kushan, 38.8
3) Dan Woyke, Rajput, 38.4
4) Jamie White, Zulu, 30.6
5) Scott McDonald, Seleucid, 29.9
6) Mark Stone, Shang Chinese, 25.8
7) Jake Kovel, Early Polish, 24.8
8) Will Richardson, Seleucid, 23.2
9) Chris Richardson, L Carthaginian, 22.8
10) Rob Richardson, Patrician Roman, 22
11) Matt Kollmer, HYWE, 21
12) Bill Low, Mithridatic, 19.1
13) Frank Gilson, Koryo Korean, 12.4
14) Greg Hauser, Yuan, 10.4
15) Todd Kaeser, KOSJ, 10.3
16) Christopher Novak, Sassanid Persian, 8.3
17) Sean-Patrick Scott, Italian Condotta, 7.5
18) Rich Novak, Marian Roman, 7.2
19) Terry Dix, Mongol, 7
20) Steve Rawls, Han Chinese, 5.3
21) Larry Daum, Islamic Persian, 4.9
22) Rick Parrish, Nikephorian Byzantine, 4.8

Roman Civil War Theme

1) Derek Downs, Patrician, 15
2) Frank Gilson, Spartacan, 12
3) Don Carter, EIR, 11
4) Dan Woyke, Spartacan, 10
5) Rich Kroupa, Palmyran, 9
6) Scott Holder, LIR, 8
7) Jamie White, LIR, 8
8) Mark Stone, Marian (N), 8
9) Greg Hauser, LIR, 8
10) Sean-Patrick Scott, Marian, 7
11) Bill Low, Marian, 6
12) Rob Richardson, Patrician, 5

(scores reflect tie breakers, in this case opponent's score)

Open

1) Frank Gilson, Post-Conquest Inca, 26.5
2) Sean-Patrick Scott, Italian Condotta, 17.6
3) Terry Dix, Mongol, 13.6
4) Rick Parrish, Nikephorian Byzantine, 13
5) Larry Daum, Islamic Persian, 12.2
6) Todd Kaeser, KOSJ, 12
Greg Hauser, Yuan, 12
8) Alex Stone, LIR, 10.2
9) Steve Rawls, Han Chinese, 9.4
10) Bill Chamis, EIR, 3.4

Greg Hauser will be painting an element of figures for the NICT champion like he does every year and I forget to mention it every year.

Best Camp: Todd Kaeser

Sportsman: Larry Daum
Sportsman Nominees: Alex Stone, Bill Chamis, Matt Kollmer, Dan Woyke, Derek Downs, Steve Rawls, Christopher Novak.

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject:

Great!!!
Love it.
Thanks Scott.
Ek
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Attached are 19 of the 22 NICT lists. Ain't gonna be any more than this.

I didn't get Will Richardson's since I had no idea he was coming up. I also didn't get either of the Novak lists (Rich and son Christopher). In fact, after Round 2, Dan rewrote the Sassanid list for them to use at home.

Please note that this is the first time I've ever managed to compile the NICT lists in a tidy, single file.

There are still some of you out there who can't make use of the NICT list spreadsheet. Between now and next year, we need to remedy that because I'm not gonna accept lists in any format other than the one I send out every year. Larry Daum has a nice Excel file which you can see in this one. It's main drawback is that it doesn't sum up the points. Also too, it's a newer version of Excel. I deliberately use an older version since not everybody has the latest version of Office. For his list, I simply cut and pasted it into my older version.

scott

scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject:

As usual, I won't go into any great detail on my games since I don't remember much and don't have any great insights into how to play the game.

Like I do every time I come back east now that my St Louis crowd has abandoned me, I drive to Charleston WV on Tuesday, then take a leisurely drive to Fredericksburg on Wednesday. This time I stopped for an hour or so in Orange VA just to look at old buildings. I took a slightly different path thru the Wilderness battlefield which reduced traffic. Not giving a crap about the American Civil War other than the underlying operational level principles of warfare we studied at the USMC Command & Staff College, I just blow thru the woods.

I special ordered 4 cases of Yuengling from Total Wine, 2 porter and 2 of their summer seasonal. Total Wine still charged me by the 6-pack so screw them, next time I'll call Wegmans and see if they can do the same thing. I'd rather spend my money there...which I did at the seafood bar Wednesday evening. They were really busy and the cook told a couple (who were clearly regulars) that the rush was due to Historicon. We do have some impact on the micro-local economy. I know that from Lancaster because the guys at Lincoln Beverage have said they sell a crapton of beer at Cold Wars.

I do some setup and table assignment Wed night for the small DBA tourney and the Thu big FoW tourney (the guys who run that come in the night before to setup). I also wait around for Rich Kroupa to bring the terrain. He was late than his typical arrival because his car was having alternator problems. I ended up having to pick him up from the garage Thu morning. We got the somewhat wrinkled mats laid out so as to give them as much time as we could to unwrinkle. That's typically accomplished by Saturday morning.

We had 22 people playing on Thursday! I ended up plopping everybody into the NICT. I had 4 people who were willing to play in a 15mm Mini but I really wanted 6-8. It didn't matter really in the long run. The Novaks were there and I knew they'd only play on Thursday so we had a cut and the rest played on Saturday. I knew Bill Chamis was coming down so I was ready to play in the open but Mark's son Alex decided he wanted to play so we still had 22 players on Saturday. All told we had 26 "unique" players for the weekend!

I played in the Theme. Notable moments as follows:

1) Sean charged in a wall o' Armenian SHC/EHC units including the ally-general on Bound 3...who promptly rolled a catastrophe. End result: time for shopping!
2) I had the opportunity to charge Derek's Patrician CinC with one of my experimental scythed chariots (his CinC was lance-armed cav)...and didn't. By going in, I'd have a 1in6 chance of routing the body (blown waver test by an A/B unit). If that didn't happen, the chariot would rout, assuming normal die rolls. I didn't do it. Should have regardless of the outcome.

Rules wise, I had one eyebrow raising moment regarding counters where the rules clearly "allow" something as counter intuitive as a forward wheel toward an enemy body. Me, Bill and Frank all read it that way but I then consulted the forum and presto, back in 2008 we had the exact same question asked and answered, so no, you couldn't do that. We'll need to clarify the language in the next clarifications. Other than that, nothing that had me scratching my head.

As I did last year, I cluttered the tables for Saturday. That being said, they were actually less cluttered than last year because I had more tables to setup. I could have put out more marshes/bogs and brush. Note to myself for next year...

Despite my surliness as an ump, I had a mostly good time. I definitely enjoyed all my games (3 in the Theme and 1 pickup game with my E Byzantines against Mike Kelly on Saturday). It took me 13 hours and 15 minutes to get home on Sunday. It's one reason why I have to bail early (11:30pm) on the Saturday evening "hang" at the Hampton.

scott

scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Additional musings, these on the Theme.

We had 6/7 armies present which tells me the poor MIR list needed another +5%. A minor thing since we got a nice mixture of everything else.

I liked it because I got to play the cross section I was hoping we'd have: one lancer list (Sean's Marians had the Armenian allies and that was the only part of his army I fought), one barbarian trash list (Frank's Spartacans and one Roman list (Derek's Patricians). Of the 3 Marian lists, one was lancer oriented, one was elephant oriented (Mark) and one was more or less straight-up (Bill).

Derek and I had the same approach, well partially, in list construction in that we utilized Auxilia as the main offensive part of the army. The idea was to win the terrain battle. We differed in that he went with his usual slew of many units (21) whereas I built mine "old school" in that it reflected how the Brits used to put together LIR lists back in the early days of 7th. The idea was to have a 9E legionary block, front two ranks of MI HTW, JLS, D, Sh and a 3rd rank of MI B. I had three such units. One variation would be to swap the 3rd Legionary unit for more Reg B Auxilia units or some combo of that and armoring them.

I was also very happy with the new experimental scythed chariot rules. I haven't formally decided but am leaning heavily toward allowing it going forward. In fact, I need to sit down with these "theme lists" as well as the massive New World theme lists and decide whether or not to allow them in any tourney.

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject:

Thanks Scott for all your musings.... Very Happy
I loved it.
However, I had my own raised eyebrow moment.
"surliness".
Scott and "surliness" , in my opinion, are not compatible.
I only know Scott as the most calm, even tempered, and respectful ump.
If Scott is surly, then.........
Ed, his surliness, Kollmer Shocked
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

You haven't been to a tournament I've umped in forever. Your data is dated. Cool Wink

Most of the time my answers are "It's in the rule book." 9/10 times I'm right about that. Everybody seems to think I know where everything is disregarding the fact that I play this game ONLY AT THE SHOWS! As such, many of us come into a weekend rusty and trying to remember wtf something is.

I wish nothing more than to be able to play the game, if nothing more, than once a month. Ah, the good ole days when I played once a week (Thursdays) and then the 3rd Friday of the month. That was decades ago.

scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: