Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Morale Grade Declaration During Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott holder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Morale Grade Declaration During Setup

Not sure if any of you noticed but for Fall In we're doing something a bit different:

http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17570

Ewan did this at SWA on my behalf. He reported that feedback was "negative". My response:

Tough.

Over the years I have watched, fielded complaints that came close to accusing players of cheating and experienced (most recently at Hcon 16) issues pertaining to the one thing we still don't declare during deployment: morale grade of troops. It's been a sore point for years and my experience at Hcon pushed me over the edge on this.

Before I acted, I reached out to several other GMs asking about how their systems handled this issue assuming they had some variable morale grades of some type. In every case they stated that whatever their equivalent of morale grade (or training level, etc) it was stated during deployment.

End of issue as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, the rules are quite clear on this. When we were developing the Black book, Jon and I specifically discussed this and my natural rules conservatism held sway, thus, we kept morale grade as the one thing you didn't declare. I regret not making that change 9 years ago. Yes, I could X-rule this if I wanted to be uber formal and uber cautious about it. But I'm not going that route.

Starting at Fall In and thru 2017, that sentence in the Fall In event description will be in the tourney's I either run (CW, Hcon) or organize (FI). If we put out another rules errata next year (and that's also likely), this will be on the list.

This is all about transparency and one reason I'm miffed is that I still see (and hear) about situations where some of you, quite frankly, skate the lines of ethical behavior. I always chalk this up to poor memory or poor paperwork. Our group is small enough and has known each other long enough that I'd like to think such behavior isn't methodical or actually thought out. One way of removing all such doubt is transparency and this is a step in that direction.

scott

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject:

This is why I love Scott!
He reminds me of my favorite Greeks (I have L Hoplite, Byzantine,Hellenistic)

"TOUGH" very Laconic.......!!!!!!

Thanks for your reasons..
Ed the Hellenophil
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: single element

We also often have the one Irr A or Irr C or Reg C element in a unit...which will have to be specifically distinguished...will help each of us not forget the fact, let alone our opponents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: