Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canceled LC Charge
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Canceled LC Charge

We had an situation, where a 4 element LC unit charged a 2 element LC unit. Next to the 2 element LC was an HC unit that also declared a charge on the 4 element LC. SO the situation was like this:

HCLC
HCLC

LCLC
LCLC

My thought was the 4 element LC has it's charge canceled and must now evade instead. But we could not find it and the judge ruled the charges go through. But is that correct?

As the event went on, the 4 element LC rolled +3 and fought 1.5 ranks, routing the smaller LC unit, and recoiling disordered the HC.

lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: charges

I believe that the charges go - LC had a charge - and could countercharge the HC in any case if not already charging. Legal Charge, chargers moving into path, charges proceed
Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject:

HC is not a valid charge target for LC, (except if unsteady or behind flank), and so is not a valid target to counter charge either.
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject:

The charge goes through. Dave Stier has used this for years with various knight/LC armies to get his knights to destroy enemy LC.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject:

My question now is:
When is a charge cancelled???
If the 4El LC charges another unit and then itself if charged by another unit. Why is the 4El not cancelled????
EK
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject:

Ed Kollmer wrote:
My question now is:
When is a charge cancelled???
If the 4El LC charges another unit and then itself if charged by another unit. Why is the 4El not cancelled????
EK

Let me turn the question around. Why would the 4El LC charge be cancelled? No one is charging them in the rear, no one is charging them in the flank, and they have an eligible charge target against which they've declared a legal charge. What is it you don't understand?
Historian
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

I thought that if you had a charge declared on you by someone you could not normally charge forces a charge response, in this case LC charged by HC. But apparently not.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject:

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa......Mark
I finally got my butt out the chair and after dusting off the rulebook. I turned to 6.16 and looked it up.
the rule I didn't know was.
Charges are canceled if "a charge is declared against it by enemy not already in or moving into the path of the charge"
Now I understand.
Therefore, the 4El LC charge is not cancelled. They charge the legal target the LC while the HC charge them and ALL HELL BREAKS LOSE.
SORRY for the outburst. I am prone to uncontrolled behavior as those who play me have found out.
Again sorry Mark.
EK
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject:

I for one am really glad this thread came up. This is an important combined arms tactic in light cavalry exchanges that everyone should be aware of. I think the first time I figured it out (as in, had it explained to me) was waaaay back in 7th edition days when I paired up with Dave Stier to play Tibetans at Cold Wars.

That tournament was notorious for its own reasons, and while the final game may not have been single handedly responsible for the adoption of our current scoring system, that final game was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. Ask Scott about it some time over a beer... long story... and I digress.

Anyway, Dave wanted us to use a deployment that interleaved Tibetan SHC and EHC with the LC. This has the virtue of pulling bowfire away from LC and onto sturdier SHC and EHC units, but it also set us up for a number of situations in which arguably superior enemy LC would charge at our LC, which would obligingly evade... while our SHC/EHC charged, contacted, and routed said enemy light cavalry.

Since then I've watched Dave use this tactic successfully many times, and used it with success myself. It's how he turns the relatively anemic Sicilian Hohenstafen Reg C LC B into skirmish wars powerhouses. Mix a knight unit or two into the skirmish mix judiciously, and suddenly you're driving back if not outright routing your opponent's LC.

There's a bit of a guessing game involved. You don't want to waste a charge with something like a knight unit when the enemy LC isn't, in fact, going to charge. But there are many times when the enemy is committed to an aggressive posture with their LC and need to maintain that aggressive posture in order to protect flanks of foot units. Defusing that aggression and turning it to your own advantage is powerful. But like many tactics in Warrior, it often requires careful combined arms planning.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject:

Thanks
I will have to see how I can use this.
I still have your Light troops analysis.
Ed the less Ignorant
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject:

In re-reading the rules, I found a further nuance on this example:

6.161 Elibility to Charge wrote:
If a body of light troops encounters an illegal charge target in the path of an otherwise legal charge, the light troops must wheel and/or drop back elements to avoid the illegal ‘target.’ If the illegal ‘target’ is also charging this may not be possible and may result in the light troops making contact with it.

So in this example, it sounds like the 4 element LC unit is supposed to drop elements in order to charge just the LC. If so, then the HC cannot charge the LC because they didn't start behind the flank (and therefore cannot flank charge) and no longer have room to fit frontally.

This appears to conflict with rules governing the circumstances in which one can drop elements, so I'm unsure on what the final ruling should be. Frank or Scott may want to add some clarification here.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject:

Mark Stone wrote:

If a body of light troops encounters an illegal charge target in the path of an otherwise legal charge, the light troops must wheel and/or drop back elements to avoid the illegal ‘target.’ If the illegal ‘target’ is also charging this may not be possible and may result in the light troops making contact with it.

So in this example, it sounds like the 4 element LC unit is supposed to drop elements in order to charge just the LC. If so, then the HC cannot charge the LC because they didn't start behind the flank (and therefore cannot flank charge) and no longer have room to fit frontally.

This appears to conflict with rules governing the circumstances in which one can drop elements, so I'm unsure on what the final ruling should be. Frank or Scott may want to add some clarification here.

The specific geometry (positioning) of all the units involved is critical here...so no blanket statement can be made.

Also note the 'may not be possible', so the LC in trouble (charging, but being charged by HC, etc.) may not be able to wheel or drop back elements.

Again, I'd have to see a specific setup, and in this sort of case actually would have to work out all the movements.
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject:

Frank Gilson wrote:
Mark Stone wrote:

The specific geometry (positioning) of all the units involved is critical here...so no blanket statement can be made.

Also note the 'may not be possible', so the LC in trouble (charging, but being charged by HC, etc.) may not be able to wheel or drop back elements.

Again, I'd have to see a specific setup, and in this sort of case actually would have to work out all the movements.

(http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14796, 25 Jan 2006 18:57) - Jon has it, or at least the language there suggests, that lights can drop back without an appropriate gap in order to avoid an illegal target.
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Charge

Last event _ had Scot rule that mu charge with LMI was cancelled - even though it was not in the opponents charge range or declared - and I had to take a waver test - so I would argue it depends on what the umpire had for breakfast
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Charge

lilroblis wrote:
Last event _ had Scot rule that mu charge with LMI was cancelled - even though it was not in the opponents charge range or declared - and I had to take a waver test - so I would argue it depends on what the umpire had for breakfast

Charges are extremely complicated...at least sometimes.

I have no idea what was actually going on in your game...the positioning of units, whether or not your LMI were impetuous or not, etc.

Charges fine at declaration CAN become cancelled during their execution for some different reasons...in which case you DO NOT perform that cancelled charge (Revert any movement that already transpired for the cancelled charger).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: