Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Digital version?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horseman
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Digital version?

Hi all and thanks in advance for any help.

I was a long time player of wrg 7th edition rules though sadly stopped playing for some time. Due to the unfortunate passing of my Dad last year I have inherited a rather large collection of armies as well as a couple that were mine anyway (I'm sure it's nothing compared to what some of you own) And am looking to get back in to the hobby with some friends.

I never enjoyed DBM and it's various iterations, I purchased FOG but some how it lacks something and 7th edition though much loved was hard to learn and very hard to understand the rules as written (I'm 100% positive even after over a decade playing my Dad and I never got it right!) In my online search I came across Warrior and it seems exactly what I'm after (7th edition written in ENGLISH!) which leads to my two questions.

1) is there a digital version available to purchase? I live in the UK and the only place I can find to order it is from the US and slightly costly..

2) is there a list anywhere I can view outlining some of the changes made?

Thanks again for any help and my apologies if this is the wrong place to post but I couldn't really find a suitable section of the forum
lilroblis
Legionary
Legionary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Warrior

I dont know of a didgital version - the lists are largely digital, nbut the rules not so much. Silver eagle wargames has them - fun set of rules - let us know if we can help in any way
Horseman
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the reply.

Good news is that I've hopefully found a suitable supplier in the UK (strangely one of the suppliers listed on fourhorsemens page...)

Here's hoping for a speedy delivery and not an Email saying "sorry we don't have those in stock!"

I've also found a topic with a small list of changes from 7th edition and once the rules arrive I'l be able to see for myself.

I've bought a 2nd edition but swear I saw something about a 3rd edition, does much change between the 2?

Also are all the most up to date erratas on the fourhorsemens web page or should I be looking elsewhere?

Am I right in thinking that campaign warrior was never finished/released?
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject:

There is no 3rd ed but I need someone with more knowledge to reply to your questions.
The lists and the list rules are really your next step.
Ed the Unknowing
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: official clarifications

http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17541

Those are our official clarifications, latest version...although you may have already found them Wink.

They are for the 'Black Book', 2nd Edition, circa 2006. There is no later edition.

Frank
Horseman
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the answers gents - nice to know thee is no 3rd edition.

I also got it right that the black book was the 2nd edition and the white 1st

Now fingers crossed that Caliver books actually has a copy along with the three army books I want/need (still no reply but its only been a day...patience is not a virtue I possess when it comes to things like this)

Then its on to the mammoth task of sorting through all the armies and working out exactly what I have!
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject:

There is definitely interest in a digital version of the rules, but I wouldn't expect anything to happen on that front soon.

Some of the army list books are available as PDFs, and I suspect at some point they'll all be available that way.
Horseman
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Mark - I've found the pdf's for Biblical and Dark age Warrior.

But have also purchased Classical and Imperial from a local supplier (I also purchased a copy of Biblical because I like books!) so that should cover all the armies I have unless I find one I don't remember my Dad or myself owning; I've already come across two that I forgot about!
scott holder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

There will be no digital edition of the rules and no 3rd edition...unless somebody wants to buy outright our existing stock of the Black rulebook. Shocked

You will find the Black rulebook complex plus you often have to connect the proverbial dots in many places to figure out wtf happens in certain circumstances. That's somewhat by design but also the result of taking the concepts contained in the original source material (7th ed) and making them actually accessible. Yes, I feel you pain about trying to read the original source material in it's original language. Rolling Eyes

Digital editions of the remaining army list books is an ongoing discussion. I'm not keen on it. Buy local if you can, if not, you can always purchase thru the main web page or contact Jake directly at Silver Eagle.

People above have guided you to what digital material exists. It's worth your time to look at the thematic lists since we're pretty flexible here in the States about their use.

Keep us updated. We'd love nothing more than to see some players in the UK.

scott

Horseman
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

I for one am glad to not have a 3rd edition on the cards...why fix something that's not broken? Any minor changes/tweaks are easy to communicate via errata etc. And I'm not so fussed with a digital version as my black book arrived this morning and if I'm honest far exceeds my expectations!

Having read through it earlier today I have to say I don't find it complex (but then as an ex 7th edition player I did have a grasp on many basics anyway so might not be as clear to a total beginner) And it certainly is 100% better written than 7th......so many things make so much more sense now!

And so far I've found only one real surprise....No wedge formation but lancers now fight 1.5 ranks (were only 1 rank IIRC) Means I no longer need multiple elements for troops that had wedge available although I did used to like the aesthetics of multiple wedges on the table (all in all though a positive change IMO)

Three army books also arrived (Classical, Imperial and Holy....damn it was meant to be Biblical but my mistake...I'll have to order Biblical next week!) and again I'm pleased with the quality and just need to update with the erratas . After only a brief glance through I'm also pleased to see I don't think I have any redundant lead! And just a few surprises in lists so far.

You mentioned Thematic lists and I've seen them mentioned before but haven't come across them - any chance of a link?

Thanks for the help/replies so far
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Lancers fighting a rank and a half is one of the biggest changes. Note that in most circumstances foot armed with 2HCT do also. And read the rules on eligibility to enter skirmish formation. That's another substantial change.

There are others, but those are the big ones I can think of off the top of my head.
scott holder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Roman Civil Wars:

http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17498

New World:

http://www.fourhorsemenenterprises.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17275

Horseman
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Mark Stone wrote:
Lancers fighting a rank and a half is one of the biggest changes. Note that in most circumstances foot armed with 2HCT do also. And read the rules on eligibility to enter skirmish formation. That's another substantial change.

There are others, but those are the big ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Another big change I see is with JLS. It would appear in Warrior you only get the plus on the first bound and then in subsequent bounds only in specific circumstances (Versus Elephants for example) They also get to fight at 1.5 ranks as foot against any opponent whilst in 7th edition they only got the second rank if the JLS plus applied

Have I read that correctly?
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: JLS

Generally, you have, however please make sure you have the very latest clarifications as we updated JLS a great deal.
Horseman
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: JLS

Frank Gilson wrote:
Generally, you have, however please make sure you have the very latest clarifications as we updated JLS a great deal.

Thanks Frank - from the clarifications am I right in thinking foot armed with no other hand to hand weapon continue to get the JLS+ even after the first bound of combat?

If I'm correct I also assume HTW counts as another close combat weapon even after the first bound?

So essentially the same way 7th ed. worked?

Edit:
So I've finally sorted through all the lead!!! Only a handful of unusable stuff - 1 Etruscan general in Lch (allowed in 7th.) And 4 elements of Macabean Jewish Heavy cavalry more than allowed in the list (and to be frank that whole army needs a bit of work as no shielded LC and all shielded HC as well as half the army being unpainted)

Definitely some stuff missing but nothing that cant be replaced/sorted out

One army that needs some re basing as no longer option to have HI/MI only LHI/LMI

And only a handful of stuff that I've no idea what it is yet!

Now to get some fast warrior games in to (re)learn the rules!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: