Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roman infantry rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horseman
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Roman infantry rules

Sorry another one from me....

Having read the errata I think I get this but just wanted to clarify I'm reading it right.

On the second bound of combat I can replace the 1st rank with the 2nd. In combat I would then use HTW as 1st contact and count as steady even if I was previously disordered. From then on I fight with 1HCW and I can no longer swap ranks to count steady and/or use HTW. If I choose not to swap ranks in the 2nd bound of combat am I right in assuming I can still not choose to do so in a later bound?

Also during the rank swap bound I'm also assuming the new second rank (previously front rank) will revert to 1HCW as they are not counted as 1st contact?

If armed with LTS I of course never get to use HTW or 1HCW but would my opponent suffer the -2 for facing LTS at 1st contact after a rank swap as technically they are NOT at 1st contact? (As the rules really are interpret as read I'm assuming they wont get the -2)
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

You're discussing the Circulating Combatants element of the Roman Infantry Rules. Specifically rule 2, swapping ranks while in combat.

You are generally correct, but I want to emphasize:
You can do this ONCE per combat, and only during the SECOND bound of that combat.

The element(s) that does(do) the replacement are the ones that are considered steady and at first contact, so they will get to use HTW 'again'. However, elements behind them are whatever they are...which will generally be 1HCW (fighting at half over the replacing element(s)), and possibly disordered.

So yes, you're correct in that reading.

Legions don't really use LTS, they occupy the Fulcum formation which against mounted is as if they had LTS...and so do inflict the -2 upon a mounted opponent.

There are three cases here.
a) The mounted bounce off the Fulcum legion.
- Legion remains in Fulcum, nothing more to see. Future actions are as per the rules.

b) The mounted win and the legion recoils. Fulcum is LOST here and the legion CAN use circulating combatants, but as HTW/1HCW guys (as originally armed) NOT as LTS (no longer in Fulcum).

c) The mounted and legion tie in casualties inflicted. The legion is STILL in Fulcum, and uses 1HCW and cannot circulate. This would be rare.

Frank
Horseman
Recruit
Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Frank Once more I'm glad I interrupted it correctly as it goes to prove the rules really are well written.

When I talk about being armed with LTS I was referring to Triarii not fulcrim....but to be honest I think I answered my own question in the actual question itself. Once more its a case of interrupting rules literally.

You guys really have taken a badly written good set of rules (7th ed.) and made them in to a well written great set of rules. I really don't get why they never took off in the UK!
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Ahh, yes, there are some earlier Romans who do get to circulate elements like that...if armed with LTS then enemy post-circulation not steady with pike/LTS WOULD take the -2 (as it is first contact again).

As for the uptake of various rules...folks in the UK seem to play the latest set for a while...dropping it for the next? At least that is my outside perspective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Rules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: