Warrior Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules
A Four Horsemen Enterprises Rules Set

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Council of Five Nations event
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Stone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject:

My vacation days and air travel budget are both limited. It's a tempting offer, but looks like I'll be sticking to Historicon for the forseeable future. Still pondering what to run for next year (it won't be Shang).
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

I'm running 27 miles *as a training run* Saturday morning. I ain't going nowhere.

Have fun everybody. Let Ed have a sacred standard for free. Wink

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject:

Scott!!
May the wings of angels give you the speed of the "Flash".
Edwardus the Rash
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I want to thank Ewan and the C5N staff for putting on another excellent event.

I'll do a AAR write up this week after some tests are graded.

Todd

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject:

I want to echo Todd.
Thanks Ewan for being understanding and running a great event.
EK
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: results?

AARs will be great...but results? It's been two days already! Wink

Ewan is slacking...or...rather otherwise busy.
scott holder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Ewan has that and other stuff for us.
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:

I have been working on building African Warrior armies for the past 3 years and after the massive failure of Abyssinian I have searched for another army to run in the style that works for me. Having scoured the lists, I decided to try and make and run Christian Nubian – list 14.
Christian Nubian
1604 – 32 scouting

CinC 2E Ir B EHC/HC L,Sh PA (EP) – 172
2E Cav Ir B EHC/HC L,Sh (EP) – 91
2E Elephants Ir C 2 w/ Jls – 105
2E Elephants Ir C 2 w/ Jls – 105
8E Spear Ir D (1C) MI LTS,Jls,D,Sh – 157
4E Marines Reg C LMI Jls,S,Sh – 90
4E Returning Vets Reg C LMI Jls,B,Sh – 90
6E javelins Ir C LI Jls,Sh – 61

Sub - 2E Ir B EHC/HC L,Sh P (EP) – 109
2E Cav Ir B EHC/HC L,Sh (EP) – 91
6E Light Cav Ir C LC Jls,Sh – 97
6E slingers Ir C LI S,Sh – 61

Stone walls 15

I still need to work some things out regarding the stone walls and lights but this is what I brought. Looking back I undercosted the walls on the list and need to fix it.

I painted the figures over the summer with the idea I would play them this fall at Council of 5 Nations. The reason I constructed the list the way I did – despite advice to the contrary – was to have lots of regular LMI units with missile and fighting capability. There are 6 units of LMI with Jls,Sh and either Bow or Sling. There is a decent close foot unit, albeit Ir D. The EHC/HC lancers are ok and are the best morale of the army. Four units seemed like enough and they can also be elephant proof allowing them to work alongside the beasts. The elephants are ok – being C grade and having 2 crew with Jls. The lights are sparse, but I figured that they are sparse in my Tepanec list and that is augmented by the fact that I have so much missile fire in the army. I fortunately did not come up against any light cavalry armies and the terrain was reasonable as well to fill the board.

First round – Scott McDonald, Tepanec.
Funny is that Scott is using my own lead against me and my own list to boot. The board has 3 large hills right across the center of the board with the flank ones being steep and/or rocky. I send my LC unit on a flank march on the right as there is no space for them to be useful. Being outscouted Scott sets up first and is back. I am able to stretch across the board and try to use the main command to be on the left side.
First turn Scott marches 2 of his Otomi toward my most left elephant unit. I am already marching my EHC units and counter to meet him. Turn 2 as we approach each other I squeeze my EHC past my elephants and am able to match up against both units. I of the Otomi is able to get off an impetuous charge but the other is flat-footed. It doesn’t matter as Scott rolls down 1 and down 2 and I roll up 2 and up 4 routing both units. The cascading waiver tests and subsequent shakes and routs of multiple units caused his right command to go into retirement and Scott reached across the board to shake my hand. 5-0

Second Round – Jevon Garrett – Rajput Confederacy

Terrain has a small stream in my left rear, a rough hill left center on the center line, a woods right center on the center line and nothing else. Jevon’s first command goes down and it has 2 elephants with detachments of 4E with some 2E Ir A LMI and a 4E unit of Ir A HC. The army has a lack of lights (phew…. For me) and there is little on my left to sweep my lights. His second command also sets up between the terrain and has some EHC as well. The far right is just lights and I will kill a LI bow unit with my LC Jls,Sh unit sometime in the battle.
I deploy my close foot right in front of his Elephants, Ir A LMI and HC. We will move cautiously for the first turn across the board but by the second I have forced the issue and get within his 4E HC charge range. In he charges and out they go routing. Waivers are passed by Jevon’s troops. On my far left Jevon detaches his detachment and charges across the stone wall at a unit of Jls,B,Sh pushing me back despite the shooting and negatives of the wall. 2nd turn of combat (with a LI javelin unit on his shieldless flank and the combat to his front) he evaporates and the parent elephant unit shakes. To the right of that a unit of Jls,S,Sh holds off a 2E unit of Ir A LMI with shooting and combat and exhausts them. After the HC are gone in the middle the unit of spear move up, shoot the LMI and elephants into disorder and rout both. On my right Jevon sets up a nice charge with his EHC unit routing a unit of my Jls,B,Sh but I am lucky with the waiver tests and pass all – eventually getting a cav unit into his flank the next bound. The game ends quickly after this as a 5-1 win. The Rajput army is a scary one with the excellent elephants and lots of Ir A troops, but it doesn’t cover a lot of space.

Third Round – Matt Kollmer – Zulu
Ewan pointed out that after adjusted scores Matt and I are at the top with Dan Woyke right behind us. If Matt and I play to a draw then Dan leaps us to claim the crown. Dan and his Later Carthos draws Greg Hauser and his Yuan.

Matt and I have drawn a table that has a massive hill on the right side of the board but mostly in my sector and a brush on our left with a small hill tucked in my left rear.
Matt sets up in the center and is drawn back a little in an inverted U to protect his flanks. Matt plays well in this battle and I am unable to find any gaps in his flanks. The battle is going to be fought across the front. I set up with the elephants and spearmen in the center with the flanks predominately LMI with EHC in the rear. As the lines close I really tried to fill the gaps of my troops with my lancers. I know that they will be the key and hope that my elephants don’t rout vs his troops – he has an advantage if he passes his waiver test being all HTW,Jls,Sh.
On bound 2 Matt and I declare our charges. I think we had a combined 13… I luck out hugely when Matt dices for his waivers. Both units opposing the elephants shake as does another unit of “B” Zulus when my sub hits them. The elephants will roll down but push back the Zulu warriors for a few turns when the eventually break. My sub routs his shaken Zulu opponent. On my left Matt catches both units he charges and routs them in the brush. He’ll get another unit in 2 turns putting the command on the verge of retirement. My CinC fills a gap to the left of my elephants and charges his CinC – Matt decides to evade with the hope of tiring me out and then turning on me. He rolls normal and I roll long…. Matt’s CinC is caught and routed. His left command folds and the game is over. 5-3 for me. Dan and Greg fight to a 1-1 or 2-1 game and I luck out an take the crown with Matt taking second with his Zulus.
Neat to see African Warrior armies taking 1st and 2nd in the tournament. Thanks again to Ewan and the other participants. A long ride home chatting with Dan on the phone to stay awake/alive and I arrive just past midnight at home base.

Mark Stone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the report. I love reading this stuff, and it is interesting to see African Warrior armies becoming more regular participants in our events.
Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the AAR and "other" things.

That was guttsy giving Scott the NICT winning army.
I felt honored that I played my Byzantines against the two top armies of the Tourney. Albeit not at C5N. but in the weeks preceding.
Could it be that I helped make them the two top winners?? Cool
Ed the Byzantinophil
Frank Gilson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Stone Walls

Congratulations again, Todd...some great recent success for you. Hopefully I'm able to attend Historicon 2018 and annihilate you utterly Wink.

Stone Walls now cost 15, we reduced that in the last rules clarifications...as well as increasing the cost of Ditch to 15.

I like the loose order foot on Nubian Christian and generally agree with how you have organized the army, but I prefer LHI/LMI LTS,B,Sh/LTS,B for the Marines to JLS,S,Sh.

I don't think the returning vets need shields in the back rank either...

I do like to add 4E of Irr D MI B to the spear unit for a little bit of something extra, only 16 points.

One benefit of the loose foot is to be able to go over your own Walls when necessary (if only opposed by troops you can beat).

Frank
Todd Kaeser
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Was there ever a list of armies used in C5N? Trying to post pictures of event and that would help in labeling.

Todd

Ed Kollmer
Centurion
Centurion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Also was there a listing of what the scores were.
Most people see how far from first place they are.
I check to see how far from LAST PLACE, I am. Very Happy Very Happy Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warrior Ancient and Medieval Rules Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: